2011 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup opinions wanted - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup opinions wanted

I am looking at buying my wife a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500Pickup.
It will be a crewcab, shortbox, with 5.7 litre hemi motor.
Want to know the good and bad about them.
Reliable? Known problems? Thanks

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 PM

I had one the year they came out, '02. In fact, it was October 2001, a month after 9-11 and NOBODY was buying anything.

It had the 4.7 which was plenty of poop for most anything, just not for any heavy towing. Was a good truck, had it a couple of years, maybe 30-40K. Traded it for a bimmer convertible for the wifey.

Speaking of which, why would your wife want a truck and not a sports car? My wife would kick my a$$ if I made her drive a big truck.

Seriously, the chevs ride the best, the fords look the best and are the most car-like, and the dodge, well, they are still a dodge. I'm sure they are improved over the first models. Go drive one and then drive a GMC or a Chevy. Ford still outsells them all.

Later I had a duramax crew, is five times the truck, but way more than most people need. Towed an offshore sportfisher with it and was perfect for that.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 PM

do you reallly NEED a pickup truck?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
EVERYBODY NEEDS a Pickup Truck!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM

FWIW, a friend of mine is best friends with the owner of an auto service business, going on 30 years now. Ask him his opinion of Dodge and Chrysler vehicles and he'll tell you he loves them because they keep him in business. He'll also tell you if everyone drove Fords or Chevys (or worse yet Toyotas) he'd soon be out of business. YMMV

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, and yes she wants a pickup truck.
We test drove 5 brands, and the dodge was the nicest to drive, just wondered about reliability.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

It's not about NEED....

It's about WANT.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
It's not about NEED....

It's about WANT.
Just starting to learn that advice myself
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
Thanks everyone, and yes she wants a pickup truck.
We test drove 5 brands, and the dodge was the nicest to drive, just wondered about reliability.
My younger brother had a dodge 1500 pick up for quite a few years never had a lick of trouble out of it. He traded it in on a newer hemi version. Then bought the chrysler 300M loaded with the hemi and got his wife the chrysler aspen loaded to the gills and with a hemi. All have been trouble free.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
I am looking at buying my wife a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500Pickup.
It will be a crewcab, shortbox, with 5.7 litre hemi motor.
Man you guys like your big engines, 5.7 litre, we just can't afford to run that sort of thing with our petrol prices
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:40 AM

I still think anyone considering a crew cab/short box pickup should seriously take another look at the Avalanche or Escalade EXT, or whatever the Cadillac equivalent is. Same seating, and you get some extra cargo space. May lose some towing capacity, though. Also if Car and Driver is to be believed, the 5.3 Vortec gets better real-world fuel economy than the Hemi.

Edit: I should probably add that I grew up in a GM household, so I'm somewhat biased, especially when it comes to trucks. GM trucks are rust monsters, though.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue

Last edited by 80-watt Hamster; 12-17-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Full disclosure
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:59 AM

In these parts, once you get a Dodge, you're stuck with it. It's then worthless at any dealership beside Dodge... If you want a really good truck, get a Toyota Tundra.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...2fintro%2ehtml

Last edited by invader; 12-17-2010 at 03:10 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 AM

You can buy brand new Tundra for 26k CDN$?!

That's how much a new VW Golf costs in Europe.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 AM

after working on "way to many to count" service training videos for the big three over the last 30 years...Chrysler/Jeep would be be my last choice.
(which is not a reflection on the 'rank and file ' that builds the cars, hard working and conscientious folk that they are...but a condemnation of the people that over-see the engineer of them).

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
after working on "way to many to count" service training videos for the big three over the last 30 years...Chrysler/Jeep would be be my last choice.
(which is not a reflection on the 'rank and file ' that builds the cars, hard working and conscientious folk that they are...but a condemnation of the people that over-see the engineer of them).
Curious. Would you say that Jeeps were easy to work on, compared to other cars?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 AM

No automobile is engineered to be easy to work on.
They're all engineered to be assembled efficiently. That's job one.
If you buy a car for the long run like I do ease of access to major components is something to consider. It will effect the cost of maintenance.
Beyond that...it's luck of the draw.
Only variant would be when manufacturers cram to much motor in too small a engine bay.

Funny story....Back in the day I had a beater '71' Dodge Dart.
It needed a carb rebuild. I did it myself (those were the days LOL) cost of rebuild kit...$17 bucks.
My boss and very good friend had a 73 Mercedes coupe (similar technology). cost of rebuild kit...over 300 bucks!!!! Just for the hardware. I rebuild that one too.
(Hey, that's what friends are for).
One more thing to keep in mind when you invariably find that vintage exotic for a price tooo good to pass up.
A "Chevy" is a lot cheaper to maintain than a BMW.
Theirs no free lunch!

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 PM

The Ex has the Hemi and her cousin too(Sport model/short box), they love 'em...no trouble. It's her second one as the first one was written-off when a guy in a cube van ran a red light(downhill) due to brake failure. She floored the Hemi when she saw him coming and when he hit her she spun in the air like a top. Her and her mother walked away but the ex had some whiplash that took a few months of therapy and no working. Glad they were both in the "BIG DODGE".

The step-son had a Silverado in his sights for a new work truck(40 somethin' thou)....took his gramma out to see it and ended up with a 1 or 2 year old Ford (with matching cap), 30 or 40 k on it, for about 15 large(no troubles there either)
NO PAYMENTS!

They tell me the Hemis' are better on gas than others...if you're not a lead foot. Still can't get over pumping in the better part of 100.00 bucks for petrol into a truck every week or ten days!

I'd likely go the Ford route myself so I'd have some extra gas money, cause the North Americans, at least are pretty hard on gas. FWIW!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 PM

I was a chevy person for years, until my wife made me test drive a 2009 Ford. I now own that truck with the 5.4 liter. It has been a great truck so far.

I test drove a 2011 Ford with the Ecoboost engine during a test drive promotion. What a sweet ride. It has the most torque of any motor on the market with the best fuel class. They were achieving 25-29 MPG according to the unoffical reports. These are due in show rooms in February. This will be my next truck.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:49 PM

I went to the Univ of Delaware and there was a chrysler plant next to the U- at break a ton of the workers would rush into the liquor store to buy mini's to swig in the bathroom or dump in their coke cans - every day. Swore I would never buy their product since they clearly did not care about assembly (FYI this was '90) quality.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode