So, you want a Yamaha Super Tenere? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So, you want a Yamaha Super Tenere?

In the for-what-it's-worth department, the January 2011 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a four page "first impression" article on the 2012 Super Tenere. Overall, they appear to like the machine, making most of their comparsons with the BMW R1200GS (which, by the way, they like better).

Here are some of the salient points from the article. MSRP: $13,900, Engine: 1099cc liquid-cooled 26 degree slant-block parallel twin, Transmission: wide-ratio six speed, Final drive: shaft with hypoid gear, Fuel capacity: 6.0 gal, Saddle height: 33.25 or 34.25, Electronics: integrated ride-by-wire throttle and traction control, Brakes: combined ABS, Wet weight: 575 lbs.

Accessories available (presumably OEM Yamaha): heated grips: $399.95, alloy-clad nylon bags with mounts: $1089.95, top box: $369.95, bag liners: $39.95 (sides) and $49.95 (top), tank bag: $149.95, crash bars: $449.95, 35mm lower seat: $239.95, clear headlight guard: $99.95, longer & wider windshield: $119.95, supplemental side deflectors: $79.95, aluminum skid plate: $199.95.

If my calculations are correct, a fully accessorized Tenere will end up being something like $17,190 (excluding dealer prep, TT&L). That must be one h*ll of a motorcycle, or at least one h*ll of an expensive motorcycle. According to MCN, it will be avaliable in early 2011.

I believe I'll stick with my humble, and entirely acceptable for me, 2008 Versys and spend the difference on other neat stuff - like, perhaps, another Versys.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Overall, they appear to like the machine, making most of their comparsons with the BMW R1200GS (which, by the way, they like better).
I didn't gather from the story that MCN liked the GS better but rather that they liked each bike for different reasons. "Overall we'd guess the GS might prove to be the better canyon carver, but the Tenere is clearly the better dirt bike as both its traction control and rear suspension are superior."

Also, "Compared to the BMW GS, the base Tenere is $3000 less, and if you factor equal equipment levels, the gap yawns to almost $5000."

I bet a comparison test is in the future, hopefully also including the Duc, Guzzi, and KTM adventure tourers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 PM

I just saw an ST1300 with a $18000 sticker, so its all relative. As somebody already said, load up a 1200GS, or buy a 1200GS Adventure, and you're well into the 20's.
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM

I have sat in the cockpit of both of these motorcycles. I am 5' 10"/178cm & 180 lbs/82K
I think they would be great bikes for 6' 4" or over & 250 lbs plus riders.

Most likely very comfortable on long highway trips and able to carry plenty.

Personally, I am something of a minimalist. I prefer the lightest, most compact, best handling, highest quality package that will get the intended job done and that I can also afford.

In my estimation, a fun analogy would be as follows:
* 1200GS/Super Tenere'= passenger jet airliner
* Versys = Lear jet
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Short answer:
Yeah, I'd like one.
Do you need my shipping address?

Long answer:
I have been getting my XT1200Z Super Ténéré (or SuperTen, or S10) information from ADVrider.com, straight from the current owners in Europe, Australia and South Africa.

The impression I get is that the S10 is a hugely capable go-anywhere SUV kind of motorcycle. So capable in fact, that it is borderline boring (owners' words, not mine), which is the crux in my particular situation:

I am a dirt newbie with little opportunity to go out and ride the rough, so I would actually welcome the excitement! I would much rather struggle and bounce up a rocky and rutted dirt path on a DRZ400 and think it was an awesome adventure, than to swoosh over it at 60 mph on the S10 wondering what to have for dinner.

If I were more dirt experienced, or had much much more time to ride, or lived in an area that resembles the Australian Outback/desert (ideal S10 habitat), AND had about $14k lying around, then I would go for the S10.
But now that 95% of my riding is a 22 mile commute on mostly highway, and my possible offroad adventures are graded gravel paths (Versys, actually happens about once a year) or ATV trails (imaginary DRZ400 on knobbies, don't own one so doesn't actually happen), I would choose a dedicated dirtbike like the DRZ400 over the do-anything luxo-ship Super Ténéré.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I believe I'll stick with my humble, and entirely acceptable for me, 2008 Versys and spend the difference on other neat stuff - like, perhaps, another Versys.
Try it - you'll LOVE it!
(from Ed who now has TWO, "Big Red" and "the Green Hornet".)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Try it - you'll LOVE it!
(from Ed who now has TWO, "Big Red" and "the Green Hornet".)
How do you decide which one to ride? I have a hard enough time deciding between the V and my scooter for city trips.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:29 PM

A riding buddy has a Super Tenre ordered from Romney Cycle Center in Romney, WV. It is my understanding that this dealer is discounting Tenres and no prep or shipping charges. My buddy contacted a number of dealers and found the best deal by far at Romney. If anyone is interested in a Tenre this might be the dealer to contact.

I have never dealt with Romney and have no association with them.
Just passing on the info.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
A riding buddy has a Super Tenre ordered from Romney Cycle Center in Romney, WV. It is my understanding that this dealer is discounting Tenres and no prep or shipping charges. My buddy contacted a number of dealers and found the best deal by far at Romney. If anyone is interested in a Tenre this might be the dealer to contact.

I have never dealt with Romney and have no association with them.
Just passing on the info.
Every time I find myself riding through Romney, it's Sunday and they are closed. I have to make a note to myself to get in there on a Saturday!
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsMason71 View Post
Geometry/look reminds me of a BMW R1150 R.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I didn't gather from the story that MCN liked the GS better but rather that they liked each bike for different reasons. "Overall we'd guess the GS might prove to be the better canyon carver, but the Tenere is clearly the better dirt bike as both its traction control and rear suspension are superior."
Mea Culpa. Thus far, my Versys riding has been exclusively on pavement, so that's what I focused upon. I probably wouldn't recgonize superior off-road capabilities if the bit me in the a**. I imagine MCN's Tenere off-road capability comments are spot-on, as I believe the majority of their observations are. Perhaps one day I'll take the Versys off road to see how I, and it, manage. But then again, I sure wouldn't like to prang it.

Arion

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
How do you decide which one to ride? I have a hard enough time deciding between the V and my scooter for city trips.
Hmmmm. Red one on even numbered days and green one on odd numbered days? Or the red one on "let's rip it up" days and the green one on "laid back and mellow" days? Then again, there's always the trusty coin flip.

Arion

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:22 AM

As cool as the Versys is, I really like the Tenere. My next bike will either be the Tenere or a used FJR. Cost is a little high on the Tenere, and I'm not crazy about the color selection, but finding a used FJR is no picnic either. I have heard of two dealers down here in TX that are offering the Tenere for $12,500 before TT&L. IMO that's not a bad price at all considering what you get.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:18 AM

If all goes as planned, Santa will bring me a Super Tenere (translation I have a green light from the boss after 6 months of pitching the idea and finally she wore down).

My FJR and Versys will be history when the plan is complete. WV has one or two places to ride a mix of on- and off-road and I sorely miss the off-road part of my misspent enduro youth.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Call me cheap, but taking a $17,000 BMW or SUper Tenere off road seems like a waste of money. I spent $5300 on my used (800 miles) Versys.

I have better things to do with my money than throwing $17K down a dirt path.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 AM

I like the Super 10 but the Tiger 800XC excites me a but more. I think bang for the buck, the Triumph will win hands down. IMHO, the Tiger 800XC looks far better as well.

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
Call me cheap, but taking a $17,000 BMW or SUper Tenere off road seems like a waste of money. I spent $5300 on my used (800 miles) Versys.

I have better things to do with my money than throwing $17K down a dirt path.
May not be your cuppa tea but...

I'm looking for a one bike compromise and I think the Tenere will fit the bill nicely. One bike that will let me haul the boss on the highway comfortably to Timbutu and back but still not have to turn around b/c the pavement has run out. I have no plans to ride single track.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
REALLY simple - doing the valves and Thermo-Bob on "Big Red" right now, so that leaves "the Green Hornet". I'm a lucky buggar!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:44 PM

OK I give up. what the hell is a therm bob?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode