Calling out for an I Pad expert - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Calling out for an I Pad expert

OK here's the deal. About one month ago I purchased an I Pad. I think the lil bugger is pretty cool. I paid $200 more than it's worth but that's another story,,,

Whenever I log on to this fine forum, I get some funky "mobile" version. I hate it. It discombobulates me. And can't see any pictures.

Can someone who is smerter than I tell me how I can view this forum on it's "regular" version? Is there an "app" for that? If there is, I will have to learn what an "app" is.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM

you need to install a browser called "Atomic" - open the app store and search for Atomic. make sure it's the browser and install it.

once you install it you can change the user agent - this means the browser will fool the server you are looking at into thinking that you are using a different browser. you can set it up for pretty much anything - internet explorer (multiple versions), etc etc. if you set it up as a desktop type browser then you won't be served the mobile site.

works fine for me. enjoy the ipad.. it took me about 6 months to really figure out how to make it useful. it's a neat toy however

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 PM

What he said...

PS

Returned mine. I want the option to choose Adobe Flash. Until the jailbreak goes untethered Im not ready to submit.

The preceding was produced on my I5 Macbook Pro!

'09 V - Blue
Arrow Dark Slip-on * Nation Cycle Vstream * Corbin Custom Seat * Happy Trails Panniers * Big Fuggin Grin
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
it took me about 6 months to really figure out how to make it useful. it's a neat toy however
Thanks for the info. I will check out the App Store.

I bought this pad thing for throwing in a truck

or a topbox for long road trips.

I have found there are many places

that offer free WiFi. Wifey can keep

track of me thru email easier.

Last edited by siyeh; 12-10-2010 at 12:25 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check out the App Store.

I bought this pad thing for throwing in a truck

or a topbox for long road trips.

I have found there are many places

that offer free WiFi. Wifey can keep

track of me thru email easier.
it most definitely fits the bill for that type of use. i have a dell netbook that i hacked to run macOS, however, and i usually end up carrying both on cage trips. haven't gone on a long bike trip yet but i'd take the ipad for it's insane battery life over the netbook.

i work in the construction business. right now im working on a massive energy retrofit project on a college campus that offers wifi everywhere. carrying around the ipad so i can grab PDF drawings in any of the 60 buildings we're working in is awesome. it's worth every penny to have that functionality rather than being forced to carry around huge sets of drawings.

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Ipad

I have a Ipod Touch and get the same funky screen. IIRC there is a tab somewhere on there to see the full forum version. I could be wrong...

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispanic View Post
What he said...

PS

Returned mine. I want the option to choose Adobe Flash. Until the jailbreak goes untethered Im not ready to submit.

The preceding was produced on my I5 Macbook Pro!
having listened to Apple's stance on why the won't permit Flash on the Ipad, I find it ironic that there current series of ads for the Iphone on the web use flash and hang on Chrome.

mind you coming from the computer company that shipped a virus with its hardware should we be surprised
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Haha! I can attest that flash is a battery killer and I am pro HTML5 but I think DROID is getting a boost from Jobs' decision. Im a mac fan but a carry a DroidX because of this.

'09 V - Blue
Arrow Dark Slip-on * Nation Cycle Vstream * Corbin Custom Seat * Happy Trails Panniers * Big Fuggin Grin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Best 99 cents I have ever spent! Thanks for the Atomic tip indulf!

It works great! And I think no flash on this iPad is the reason for the extended battery life. This is my first Apple product and it took some getting used to but me likey so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode