Just Plain Stupid and Sad - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

12Likes
  • 2 Post By Lurch71
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 4 Post By kenr74
  • 3 Post By kballowe
  • 1 Post By ATYC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just Plain Stupid and Sad

My wifes best Friend lost her brother and his wife, about 2 years ago in a bike VS SUV accident.
They were bar hopping with friends , and left the last place intoxicated ran a red light and hit a suburban. Her Brother died on the way to the Hospital, his wife died 2 days later. They left behind young teenage daughters with no parents.
NOW the couple that was riding behind them, were good friends with them and they both performed cpr on the guy until medics arrived.. They Saw the Whole thing, basically watched him die, and knew the consequences.

So fast forward a few years THAT couple was bar hopping on their Harley, went to ride home.. Wife wouldn't get on bike with Husband.. (SMART) and husband takes off, and you guessed it, Dies on the way home while riding drunk.. Mind you this is AFTER watching his good friend Die while riding drunk..
Just Stupid.. I dont get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 AM

It's one personal rule and something they talk about at the MSF course. I don't consume alcohol PERIOD if I know I'm going to ride my MC.
Lours_Polaire and crosshairs like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
This is why I never understood bike nights at places that serve alcohol. I actually saw billboards in Hot Springs, AR regarding riding while intoxicated. I guess they have a huge problem in that area. But, I guess I would rather they be on a bike than in a truck since they most likely will only kill themselves.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I know one beer won't kill me....the mope that sat at the bar all night then wobbles out the lot and over my butt will. I'll take that beer, but make it root. No alcohol til I'm on MY couch.
otkagony likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:11 AM

I'm a serious craft beer geek, and the temptation can be great, particularly when I'm out on a tour and spy a brewpub or brewery I haven't tried, but I realize that I need ALL my brain cells firing when I'm on two wheels, so I wait until the bike is parked for the day. That, and some good luck, may be why I'm still upright and riding after about 30 years.
otkagony likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
This is why I never understood bike nights at places that serve alcohol.
I complained to a local Hooters a few years ago for their weekly "Bike Night" with super cheap pitchers of beer. They basically told me to eff off.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 AM

i don't drink a drop when I ride. Not worth the risk.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM

This is why I'm the "anti-social" one in the bunch. Most of the rides are from bar to bar to bar.
Some are drinking and some are smoking.... and some both. It's scary.

Not an alcohol hater - I DO drink some - but never before getting on or into a motor vehicle. Simply NOT that talented.

In the mean time - I'll ride by myself.
onewizard, weljo2001 and aemacleod like this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
When you look at the statistics and it's something like 50 percent of fatalities involve alcohol and over a third of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle affairs, it says all I need to hear. Back in 07-08 the Marines were losing more guys to motorcycle accidents than enemy action, so we basically had mandatory motorcycle safety classes even if we didn't ride. They showed us lots of grizzly crash photos. I had an OSHA course to be a forklift operator and they showed us similar stuff. I respect heavy machinery and keep my distance, and I have no problem saying cheers with seltzer water.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I complained to a local Hooters a few years ago for their weekly "Bike Night" with super cheap pitchers of beer. They basically told me to eff off.
In today's litigious society, Hooters is considered responsible for someone being overserved alcohol and then crashing. Right, wrong, or indifferent, this is the way it is.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:28 AM

Garage
Ron

What a sad story this is ... The surviving woman must be losing her sh*t !

LOP
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Ron

What a sad story this is ... The surviving woman must be losing her sh*t !

LOP
Yes.. I dont get it .. it's like playing Russian roulette with 6 bullets instead of 1.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Garage
We had a 17 year old in my city killed 2 nights ago on a Yamaha FZ09, 1:30 in the morning, revving out to the speed of a blur. Hit so hard he sheered a wooden telephone pole off the ground. Bad decision. It all comes down to making decisions.

Motorcycling is not itself inherently dangerous, but it is violently unforgiving of bad decisions.
Smiley likes this.

Always trust your cape.

Last edited by ATYC; 07-19-2017 at 06:30 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
cant fix stupid sad story tho

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
We had a 17-year-old in my city killed 2 nights ago on a Yamaha FZ09, 1:30 in the morning, revving out to the speed of a blur. Hit so hard he sheered a wooden telephone pole off the ground. Bad decision. It all comes down to making decisions.

Motorcycling is not itself inherently dangerous, but it is violently unforgiving of bad decisions.
At 17 years old we are invincible, nothing bad will happen to us, only others. There is no doubt that high speed is addictive, I love it myself. However, there is a time and place for it, a lesson that is hopefully learned with age, experience and little damage done to the body. I was a hooligan at 17 and learned the lesson with minimal damage to my body. I did, however, wreck a few bikes learning those lessons.

That part of life-learning I understand but what I have a difficult time with is why older riders would ride drunk? Shallow end of the gene pool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode