Big trip derailed? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

5Likes
  • 2 Post By bcalan
  • 1 Post By kenr74
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Big trip derailed?

Man... I've been planning for a two week trip on my Versys 650 around BC for the past 8 months. 4500km in total. One week out, and half the province is on fire. In fact, the only way I can even get South of Prince George is if the two fires on either side of Little Fort stay away from the highway.

I realize that my problem is insignificant compared to the poor people living in the areas affected by the forest fires, and I really do hope things work out for them. It's just very frustrating...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:24 AM

Try this.... B.C. Highway Cams drive.bc traffic cams, real time what's happening on the roads. Talked to a daughter-in-law in Barrierre and she didn't say anything about roads closed; Kamloops is the evacuation centre from the fires up north so folks are getting there.... Vancouver Island is clear roads and no smoke. Next week it will all be different anyhow.
zzzoren and aboyandhisversys like this.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:34 AM

Had the same issue when I rode to Alaska. Fires were hit and miss.
zzzoren likes this.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
Try this.... B.C. Highway Cams drive.bc traffic cams, real time what's happening on the roads. Talked to a daughter-in-law in Barrierre and she didn't say anything about roads closed; Kamloops is the evacuation centre from the fires up north so folks are getting there.... Vancouver Island is clear roads and no smoke. Next week it will all be different anyhow.
Never thought of using traffic cams... I've been going by the wildfire BC and drivebc.ca maps. Thanks for the tip!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I had the same issues in '12 when I was touring out west. Woke up to ashes on my tent a couple times, and was mistaken for a firefighter at a couple restaurants because I was wearing suspenders with my riding gear.

Just alter your itinerary and ride where you can. It is not the destination, it is the journey. Have fun!

I have altered my tours a few times based on weather. Back in '13 I would have crossed from the UP into Canada and on to Maine if I would have only had my passport with me. The plan was to head south into Indiana but there where days of rain in that direction. Instead I headed west back to the Mississippi and followed the Great River Road south.
zzzoren likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
MANY roads ARE closed in the area W, N, and SW from Kamloops, as of this morning's TV news.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
MANY roads ARE closed in the area W, N, and SW from Kamloops, as of this morning's TV news.

Yep, only one open route from up here in Terrace. Worst case scenario, maybe I'll head over to Haida Gwaii or something.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzoren View Post
Yep, only one open route from up here in Terrace. Worst case scenario, maybe I'll head over to Haida Gwaii or something.
Or you could head N on the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy.
kenr74 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Or you could head N on the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy.
That was the best part of my trip North.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm hanging in Lillooet, still good here though I'm gonna have to cancel my ride north and east of here. I'm only staying 4 nights instead of the 6 I had planned. Leaving out for Washington on Sunday instead of Tuesday. Oh well...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I'm hanging in Lillooet, still good here though I'm gonna have to cancel my ride north and east of here. I'm only staying 4 nights instead of the 6 I had planned. Leaving out for Washington on Sunday instead of Tuesday. Oh well...
... SteveJ...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Bummer, sorry to hear that! There's still one highway South open for me, so I'm heading out first thing in the morning. Have a great trip to Washington!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode