My ride to work a short story - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My ride to work a short story

Riding to work this morning was so nice that I got a big smile on my face. It is hard to have anything much to smile about at this time in my life but riding the Versys is just such an amazing thing to get to do. The little engine just pulls the Versys along at a nice steady pace. No up and down shifts unless you lose control of yourself and decide to whip it up. You squirt pass slower vehicles with ease ,gliding through the curves. The suspension works so good that corners just become a memory in short time. The wide handlebars makes changes in direction so easy. The motard setting position is comfortable and allows you to really be in control of the bike. Sport bike riders wonder where in the hell you came from and what is that thing you are riding. Since my two hard crashes I have decided to take it easy but you can run a good pace at a steady speed. The pain at my age is to hard to get over. I told Betty that riding is like therapy to me. No doctor or priest can make me feel better when I am down and out like a nice ride will do. Going to work this morning was like having an old friend to talk to. I was riding along thinking about the good times I have with my bike. Thinking about my friends and what they mean to me. My wife and my family which I love so much and think God for letting me be apart of their life. I will never forget old man Lee for getting me into riding sport bikes. The good times we have had over the years and the close calls we have had. The great stories he has to tell about his life ,he is an alsome person. Lee is just one of the many people that have entered my life of riding. You encounter people from all age groups from young pups like Tony all the way up to people like Frank. You go to places like Dales and T.W.O. and set and talk and enjoy the company. Listen to tales from the past from people like Richard and David. It does not get much better. Sometimes I feel sorry for all the people that never get to experience the life of a motorcyclist. Most people are scared of riding because you might have a crash and die but no one is guaranteed a tomorrow. I would most likely die of stress before I would of riding and if I did crash and die it would be a great way to go. Riding it just does not get much better then that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 PM

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Dude...you should submit that to a magazine. Great words that really paint the picture of our lifestyle.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I love to write about my riding but am not much good at paragraphs. Just a country boy who enjoys riding and the joy that goes with it. Still get red Xs instead of gifs.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 PM

No truer words word ever spoken....i just lost my brother(he was 43) to cancer on August4th...he had a long battle with the terrible disease... watching him suffer to the very end, makes you think how precious life is and how much those close to you in your life mean to you....no one wants to die riding a bike, but believe me there are MUCH WORSE ways to go......enjoy every day...enjoy every ride
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 PM

Ok while we are sharing..........the short stuff; first bike at 45 years old new 04 HD 1200 (Sportster) 10 months later 05 HD Road King Classic, 2 years later 07 Honda ST 1300.... Lost my job in Nov. 07 Thanksgiving & Merry Xmass rolled into one. New job in March of 08 (whew!!!!! that sucked) whoa wait a minute laid off in July 4 freakin months (wow this sucks again!!!!!) 2 days after getting laid off feeling pissed as hell and very bummed traded ST 1300 for Versys and a check. Happy guy and ride away, now lets find a job in this crappy economy. Every step of the way and each bike making me smile almost as much as watching my kids play, still though the bike takes away the BS days of when and what will I find for work and can I replace my income? Well the Versys, as all the other bikes, proved to be such a great theraphy for me that it does look like my positive attitude gained from my family and my bike kept me interviewing in the right direction and a new job at better pay etc should be secured by tomorrow.
Moral of this thread, family A number 1, the bike remember the family while you ride and ride for YOU its the best combination. Remember at the beginning of each day if you still have what you did the night before BONUS~~~~~!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 AM

MountainRider - heartfelt words for sure. It doesn't matter how you write, but that you write. Much like riding - it doens't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

Motorcycling for me takes away the feelings of false securities we give ourselves. It makes me appreciate the air I breath, the feelings good and bad that I feel - it makes me feel alive.

I pull my bike in to the garage after I ride and I wipe her down, taking the bugs off and checking her over. Then I say, 'Thank you, thank you for a safe and enjoyable journey; thank you for the powers that be that allow me to ride and feel the nirvahna of being one with my surroundings and at peace with them.'

This is life and life is also death. But, motorcycling to me is not a death wish it's a way to feel more alive and be more connected to the people I love and care about. It makes me appreciate what I have and keeps me from moaning about what I don't have.

Keep writing MountainRider - you have a poets soul.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 PM

My wife often raises an eyebrow when she hears me talking to my bike, truck or even her car. I take very good care of them and in return they take good care of me. I pat them when I walk by and say thank you for their dependability and service. When I ride my bike with my sons life is very, very good. I am an old soldier and understand that camaraderie that transgresses between others that have served without a word being spoken, and I feel the same about my bike. Nothing needs to be said, but I say thank you anyway.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 04:36 PM

True that!! To all who have posted. Riding will forever be the best therapy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Turned into a great thread. Just about all of us love to ride and talk about riding. Pretty doggone alsome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode