help, buying a new digital camera for xmas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
help, buying a new digital camera for xmas

My wife has given me the green light to look at getting a new camera.

Currently looking at a canon 1000HS 10 optical zoom 10 meg pix. Any of you digital gurus got any advice.

I need a camera that can be used to take snaps on my bike trips, holidays and may mount is to the bike but that is only a secondary consideration. My wife need it to take for horse events and take shots of rental property inspections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
G'Day Phil,

Canon makes very good cameras. The pics I take are with the Canon Ixus 200 IS.
http://www.canon.com.my/p/EN/114-Dig...l-IXUS-200-IS/

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM

I just spent a month looking at digital camera's.

We thought the Sony with built in GPS and automatic panorama was outstanding----until we got one. Battery went dead within 24 hours every time because of the GPS-its a known issue, but not fixed yet. Took it back.

We also looked at Panasonic Luminex, but they have a few issues if you read up on them. Cannon and Olympus were also on our list.

We ended up with the Nikon S8100, about $250.00, 12.1meg, 10x digital zoom, with full HD movie and good low light options. Its got great battery, easy to use. Only bad thing, the pop up flash is where your finger goes, but you get used to that.

Machog

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cheers, the current camera is a panasonic lumix, has a leica lense and is 3 mega pix and 3 optical, have had it for nearly 6 years, battery is failing, carry strap broken but will still use it as a spare or for house inspection pic's but due to the bike have got into taking more pic's and have had some printed in local paper so would like to upgrade.

looked at a dedicated vid camera just for bike but that will not meet our needs. I do have a givi clamp system that i brought with a small givi pouch that i used to put a RT into may look at adapting to hold camera.

The price of that canon at the moment Steven Is $666.00 NZ but getting close to xmas will see if i can do a deal.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 12-06-2010 at 06:54 AM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM

I bought a Canon SD800IS a few years back. It all depends on what you want/need. I don't want AA batteries so I just purchased the camera and a spare battery if I ever have it run down (never happened). I like the SD memory cards, especially SDHD, for faster speed and instant transfer to laptop. If I were to do it again though I would have purchased a camera with a larger zoom rate and without a viewfinder. I never use the viewfinder and being able to zoom into things from far away is great. I also wouldn't worry about how many pixels you have unless you are planning on enlarging your pictures a lot!

All pictures on my photobucket page (minus MD Tag-o-Rama series 2) were taken with my camera. Best of luck!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

Last edited by bill_milstead; 12-01-2010 at 07:30 PM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

If you're going to use it on the bike, consider a waterproof model. I've had two Olympus Stylus SW series cameras. The latest, a "Tough," takes 720p video and is waterproof to 10 feet. I took these photos snorkeling in the British West Indies last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB260081b (Large).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	9576   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB260052a (Large).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	9577  

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

You guys are awesome and your timing couldn't be better! Hahaha!! A friend of mine is looking for a camera & prefers a Nikon. Keep up the reviews!

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I bought the first one for me as a nice little point and shoot i can carry on my belt. my main reason for getting it was it has a metal body which it replaced the nikon that i dropped and broke the lens. The second camera is one i bought for one of our employees that does photography here in puerto rico.I'm very impressed with the photos and the amazing video it takes and the zoom is very impressive also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035FZJL2/ref=s9_qpp_gw_p23_ir06?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=19WW719SRTY1TEGP0TJ1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938731&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-Vibration-Reduction-3-0-Inch/dp/B0036ORZBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291259377&sr=8-2

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
If you're going to use it on the bike, consider a waterproof model. I've had two Olympus Stylus SW series cameras. The latest, a "Tough," takes 720p video and is waterproof to 10 feet. I took these photos snorkeling in the British West Indies last week.
Cool I will use that camera when diving with the versys
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
kiwi 41 -
I use a Sony Cyber-Shot, with a 15X OPTICAL zoom, Zeiss lens, 8.1 meg, image stabilization, and I know they have a newer one with (I believe) 20 or 26X zoom.
If you look at the pictures on my post in "Members Rides" under "John Wayne, Monument Valley, and MORE!", quite a few were taken one-handed while I was doing 60 to 65 MPH, particularly the first 2 (Vermillion Cliffs in northern AZ) and the last 4 or 5 (Hwy 60 between Globe and Superior, AZ).
Damned good camera! My other is a Nikon D100, and I've used and owned Nikon FM2, FE, F4 and F5 in the film days. I find that I grab the Sony most of the time.
Oh, and my advice - DISABLE any non-optical zoom on whatever you get!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
kiwi 41 -
I use a Sony Cyber-Shot, with a 15X OPTICAL zoom, Zeiss lens, 8.1 meg, image stabilization, and I know they have a newer one with (I believe) 20 or 26X zoom.
If you look at the pictures on my post in "Members Rides" under "John Wayne, Monument Valley, and MORE!", quite a few were taken one-handed while I was doing 60 to 65 MPH, particularly the first 2 (Vermillion Cliffs in northern AZ) and the last 4 or 5 (Hwy 60 between Globe and Superior, AZ).
Damned good camera! My other is a Nikon D100, and I've used and owned Nikon FM2, FE, F4 and F5 in the film days. I find that I grab the Sony most of the time.
Oh, and my advice - DISABLE any non-optical zoom on whatever you get!
Cheers, have not had a lot of experience with camera's, 20 years ago was in Fiji and brought a heavy russan Zenit 35 mm camera and it was built like a brick s--t house and weighed a ton but never fired a shot with it.

Have heard about disable the digital zoom as it only distorts the picture.

Will check out the sony cyber shot

Phil
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 AM

Garage
This site is very elaborate and do a lot of review of all sort of camera

IMHO, if you stick with major brand, you will be fine

Have a good search/read

LOP
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 AM

Hey Phil,
You didn't tell us your budget for the camera.

Scroll trough this page for general advice. (I guess you'r interested in 'Best Pocket Cameras' section)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reco...ras.htm#pocket

I would recommend Canon high end pocket cameras but they can be expensive.

Last edited by Ivan V; 12-02-2010 at 09:17 AM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM

Canon seem to be remarkably reliable for small compact cameras, quick autofocus, quality optics and so on.

one thing to possibly consider is a trade off between optical image qualtiy at the price for a tougher, splash proof camera. Optically the Olmpus MJU/STYLUS cameras are inferior to others at the same price point, but they will take more of a beating. from what Ive seen so far the optical quality may not be as good as others but its pretty near unnoticable in the real world (ie as used by your average muppet taking taking photos). the Olympus Im talking about are the ones that don't have then lens that unwinds but one that is built in to the camera itself
http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CEMQ8wIwAg#
the lens is a 'periscope' design so there are no moving parts on the lens mechanism tio trap dust or moisture. It has the advantage the camera can easily fit in a shirt pocket or hand/man* bag.

I bought a Lumix TZ10 for my North American trip, optical quality was excellent, autofocus was slow. but the GPS was crap, could be anywhere upto 4..24 hours behind the times. IF GPS marking is your thing, then buy a GPS that stores tracks and then use an excellent piece of software that matches the GPS track to the time the photo was taken and it will insert the GPS data into the EXIF image. note you will need to make certain the times are correct before running the match program.....

The autofocus bit was a PITA if you want to take photos of things moving (like say bikes going round a corner) it was often too slow and you'd get the half the bike dissappearing into the distance... to be fair that may be down to me incorrectly setting up the camera

*ahem not that I know what a 'man bag' is.....

another approach may be to consider getting a movie camera that can take stills
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM

An amateur photographer I know recommended Canon in general, though didn't specify any models. My father-in-law is a Nikon fan, and I've been reasonably happy with our S3000 point-and-shoot. It's not exactly idiot-proof; I've had to mess more with shooting modes to get decent shots than might be expected, especially under artificial lighting. In any case, unless compactness is high on your list of desired features, get as much optical zoom as you can. The Canon you're eyeing will probably do well.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Nikon S8000 for point-and-shoot. Nice camera. I use a D700 for the serious stuff.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
vp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I like those tough cameras as well but I would recommend the Pentax W90, it's quite a bit cheaper and it has much better shooting speed than the Olympus and a bit better low light quality.

Mind you I usually shoot with my DSLR just to get that much better quality, it's a bit bigger and heavier but for me the picture quality can't be matched. It does depend a lot on what you want to drag with you, all cameras can be used on the automatic settings.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan v View Post
hey phil,
you didn't tell us your budget for the camera.

Scroll trough this page for general advice. (i guess you'r interested in 'best pocket cameras' section)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reco...ras.htm#pocket

i would recommend canon high end pocket cameras but they can be expensive.
$300-$600 nz
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=Bones;125751]If you're going to use it on the bike, consider a waterproof model. I've had two Olympus Stylus SW series cameras. The latest, a "Tough," takes 720p video and is waterproof to 10 feet.

Nice Bones...Pulled this off the Olypus site

"Waterproof, shockproof, crushproof design"

Now that is my kind of camera

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 AM

Optical zoom is where it is at!

If you are worried about destroying a camera, just get two of them.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode