ANNOUNCEMENT: Robert Kubica - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Robert Kubica

Last edited by invader; 09-18-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 AM

Hope he does well!
invader likes this.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Rally crash

On 6 February 2011, Kubica was injured in a crash on the first stage of the Ronde di Andora rally. He was driving a Super 2000-specification Škoda Fabia in Testico when his car left the road at high speed and hit a crash barrier, near the church of San Sebastiano. Kubica was trapped in the car for more than an hour before rescue workers were able to extricate him. He was flown by helicopter to Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure near Savona, where it was confirmed that he had suffered partial amputation of his forearm, compound fractures to his right elbow, shoulder and leg, as well as significant loss of blood. The severity of his injuries was the result of the crash barrier penetrating the car's cockpit, and hitting Kubica, while leaving his co-driver unscathed. Kubica underwent a seven-hour operation by seven doctors split into two teams, without complications. Two more lengthy operations to repair fractures to his leg, shoulder and arm were performed successfully a few days later.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Garage
I saw a news show on those crash barriers and if you don't hit them correctly they can impale the vehicle. I think they are changing the way they are implemented on new installs.

I am crashing! I better hit that barrier just right! I love where they put those cable fences on interstate medians to keep vehicles from crossing into oncoming traffic. But they only seem to install them after someone kills someone else.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I saw a news show on those crash barriers and if you don't hit them correctly they can impale the vehicle. I think they are changing the way they are implemented on new installs.

I am crashing! I better hit that barrier just right! I love where they put those cable fences on interstate medians to keep vehicles from crossing into oncoming traffic. But they only seem to install them after someone kills someone else.
Those are motorcyclist killers. Write to your local county engineer and push for them to stop installing these cheese graters.

Guard rails are not really that safe.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Arrow

Breaking News- Robert Kubica's Comeback Chances Are Getting Serious

Robert Kubica is to test again for Renault as he and the team explore whether he could make a comeback!

Robert Kubica's Comeback Chances Are Getting Serious - The Drive

Robert Kubica: Ex-F1 driver to test again for Renault - BBC Sport

Last edited by invader; 07-05-2017 at 02:30 AM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Renault give Kubica 'extensive' second test

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...cond-test.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/06/mo...ult/index.html
turn8a likes this.

Last edited by invader; 07-06-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 07:00 PM

Garage
I wish him good luck but surely two such injurious accidents must affect his physical endurance. Injuries suffered when young, and seemingly overcome, come back to affect you in later years.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
I wish him good luck but surely two such injurious accidents must affect his physical endurance. Injuries suffered when young, and seemingly overcome, come back to affect you in later years.
Robert Kubica believes he’s in better physical condition than ever before and can now drive a Formula 1 car ‘without limitations’.

Kubica: I've never been so fit - Read Motorsport

Kubica says he can drive F1 car "without any limitations"

Last edited by invader; 07-06-2017 at 07:20 PM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Sky Sports speaks to the only journalist present last month when Robert Kubica returned to F1.

"I can honestly say it's the most thrilling day that I've spent as a journalist watching F1."

"There was a level of quiet expectation going into it, but nobody really knew what would happen with Robert," Rowlinson told Sky F1. "Obviously he prepared, the Renault team had some simulator work with him, but nobody really knew until he got on track."

"I was watching from the garage and after one lap you could sense the feeling throughout the garage of 'oh my god, he's still totally got it'. There was that moment of realization that still, despite the injury, and a very long and tortured rehabilitation process, he was still fully capable of driving a Formula 1 car at proper speed. You could feel it in the garage. From there the whole tone of the day changed from just being about putting Robert in the car to the sense that they are actually evaluating him properly."

"The day before, Renault reserve driver Sergey Sirotkin had lapped a similar E20 (the car with which, in Lotus livery, Kimi Raikkonen won the 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix) here in 1min 14.6s. Kubica pops in a 1min 14.27s at one point during his morning run without apparent effort."

The story of Robert Kubica's F1 return - and being trackside... | F1 News
turn8a likes this.

Last edited by invader; 07-07-2017 at 09:31 PM.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Robert Kubica completes further Renault Formula 1 test at France's Paul Ricard track... The 32-year-old completed 90 trouble-free laps, with a Renault spokesman saying that he performed "completely".

Robert Kubica completes further Renault Formula 1 test - BBC Sport

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:55 PM

I wish him well in his attempt to return.

However, at 32 that is considered "old" within F1.

And with the current F1... is he bringing money to the table?

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
I wish him well in his attempt to return.

However, at 32 that is considered "old" within F1.

And with the current F1... is he bringing money to the table?

He is a few years younger than Kimi, and even Fernando who is regarded as the best but still considers Kubica to be the best of his generation... Kubica's great interest and following in his legendary return will of course attract big sponsors which are well aware of the exposure they would get.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:26 PM

Maybe she's getting a seat too???

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 AM

Garage
Two Things That Annoy Me About F1

1. Today you have to be jockey size to have any hope of entry. Even then your diet has to concentrate as much on weight as it does on fitness. Weigh the car - but not the driver.

2. The rules where an error or mechanical failure (caused by the car or driver) results in a penalty for the next race. Some are ridiculous e.g. suffer a gearbox failure in one race and DNF and also receive a 10 grid spot penalty for the next race. F1 should not be an endurance trial - what occurs in one race should only be reflected in the results of that race.
407guy likes this.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Renault to consider Kubica for 2018 season. Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul has been impressed with Robert Kubica's comeback efforts and will "think about 2018 in due course".

Kubica is now set to feature in the two-day test that follows the Hungarian Grand Prix.

"What I can tell you is that he is still quick, he is still very consistent and more importantly he has this energy and this drive, this enthusiasm that he has always had," said Abiteboul.

Renault to consider Kubica for 2018 season | PlanetF1 : PlanetF1
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

Robert Kubica is now set to step up his preparations by taking part in the two-day test following the Hungarian Grand Prix.

As Kubica gets ready for the next challenge, he has given an insight into his mental approach to a Formula 1 return and his confidence about making a successful comeback.

"I needed to find a favourable mental condition. It is a matter of awareness. To treat my disability as a surmountable problem and not as a definitive handicap," Kubica told Corriere della Sera.

"This way I could deal more serenely the first test and I realised only there that any limitation is relative. I started with no idea of my reactions, without any warranty. And I found myself.

"That is a pure driver seeking the performance and nothing else. Everything turned on again immediately because nothing was deleted.

"Like swimming, cycling. I soon acquired an authentic feeling. And I just thought to reach a goal, and then another, having to do with ambition.

"So if Renault were keen to continue this madness, let's say, well now I have the confidence to match. It will take training, preparation. But I now know that I can get back [to] the driver who I was.

"And my level of that in 2010 was high, I say this without false modesty."

Kubica: 'I can get back to the driver I was' | PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

Once again, Kubica impressed, but Abiteboul is wary of fuelling expectation, and would not say whether the Pole is capable of racing a current car.

"It's not like a test that you're passing at an exam," Abiteboul said. "We've not seen any obvious road blocks. Having said that, testing in this circumstance and testing in a more modern car is something completely different.

"This situation is complex. We are not doing it for PR purposes, even though we see that it is creating a lot of media expectation and focus. It's not what we're doing. We care so much more for Robert than this."

Abiteboul's reference to a more modern car leads us neatly to Hungary, where there is a two-day test scheduled on August 1-2. Renault ran Nico Hulkenberg and Sergey Sirotkin in Bahrain earlier this year, so has the ability to use one rookie driver - who hasn't started more than two grands prix - on one day and any other driver it chooses on the other. As a tight and twisty circuit, the Hungaroring would be a good test for Kubica and his potential limitations in a current car, while also allowing him to evade the scrutiny of a full grand prix weekend.

While it appears Renault is evaluating options for 2018, what does the team have to lose in potentially bringing Kubica in this year?

Re-hiring Kubica after the summer break would give him the second half of the season to prove himself without the pressure of a full campaign. If a return works then great, and if it doesn't pan out the way everyone hopes, then Kubica can make a decision on his future with dignity at end of season, rather than mid-year in 2018.

The Pole would be coming in for a driver who has not delivered so far this year, and who on average has been over a second off his teammate in qualifying. Granted, given his reliability issues then Palmer could feel a little hard done by, but Kubica's story trumps that misfortune.

It was unthinkable two months ago. Now, it makes a huge amount of sense.

Insights & Analysis - MEDLAND: Solving Renault's Palmer problem
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Trust to see him on the track 2018...Salute.
invader likes this.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Kubica to test 2017 Renault in Hungary next week

Renault has been weighing up for several weeks whether to run Kubica in the test, in its bid to better understand if the Polish driver is capable of an F1 return in 2018.
It is now confirmed that Kubica will drive for the team on the second day of the two-day test, which begins on the Tuesday after the Hungaroring event.
Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul is clear that the Hungary run will be about getting a full assessment on what role Kubica could plan in the future, following his recent running in 2012 F1 machinery.

http://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/ro...07/story.shtml

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/40860...-horror-crash/

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/07/25...-test-win-win/

Last edited by invader; 07-25-2017 at 05:02 AM.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Renault’s ‘secret plan’ to race Kubica at Spa

Should Robert Kubica come through the Hungarian GP test without any issues, he could replace Jolyon Palmer as early as the Belgian GP reports Bild.

Renault's 'secret plan' to race Kubica at Spa | PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

Last edited by invader; 07-25-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode