FJR owners past and Present (Joe, Others?) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

FJR owners past and Present (Joe, Others?)

My local shop has had an 08 fjr for about 14 months, the price keeps getting lower and lower to the point I may actually be interested in it for a sport touring mount , not to replace the V, just something else to have in the stable.
The Bike currently has about 29K on it.. Quick research seems to say they are a pretty bulletproof bike, but is there anything I should look for? ANy issues hitting 60-75K miles on one? How is commuting on one occasionally, any low speed mapping thottle issues, etc? Insight appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Umm, dude, this IS the Kawasaki Versys forum, you knew that, right? Yes, Versys owners are smarter than almost everyone else on the planet, but you might be well served looking up an FJ forum and doing some research.

That said, I've got a buddy who has owned 3x, and says as long as you pay attention to the maintenance, they'll likely bury it with you at the end of a long, happy, and disgraceful life.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
Umm, dude, this IS the Kawasaki Versys forum, you knew that, right? Yes, Versys owners are smarter than almost everyone else on the planet, but you might be well served looking up an FJ forum and doing some research.

That said, I've got a buddy who has owned 3x, and says as long as you pay attention to the maintenance, they'll likely bury it with you at the end of a long, happy, and disgraceful life.
Don't feel like registering on another forum, waiting to get cleared to post, etc, and then maybe never be there again. I know Joe owned one fore a while, and someone else on here, cant remember, so just as well get opinions on the bike from folks here.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 PM

Garage
I did the Concours 1400. I would buy a new or at least latest FJR with the 6th speed, cruise control, and electronic suspension.

If I were in the market, I would research reviews and find out what years certain changes were made. I know those big engines put out a lot of heat.

Kawasaki had to redesign the fairings on the Concours 1400 because of the heat complaints.

Take that sucker for a test ride, and a good price on an '08 with those miles would be NADA low retail or lower. Anything higher than that is not a good deal.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM

They are great bikes - but don't get the 1st gen.

That 2008 will be just fine.

My 2006

My 2007

and the latest.....

No matter where you go - there you are.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I did the Concours 1400. I would buy a new or at least latest FJR with the 6th speed, cruise control, and electronic suspension.

If I were in the market, I would research reviews and find out what years certain changes were made. I know those big engines put out a lot of heat.

Kawasaki had to redesign the fairings on the Concours 1400 because of the heat complaints.

Take that sucker for a test ride, and a good price on an '08 with those miles would be NADA low retail or lower. Anything higher than that is not a good deal.
Thanks, The bike is right at the nada retail price right now. I'm assuming I can bargain down a bit.. If I couldnt, Id walk. I have looked off and on at these over the years, but this one kind of presents itself and is close by..I would think that Fairing would protect ya pretty good from the heat wouldnt it? That brings up a good point though, cause if I ever commuted on it, Id be in 95 degree heat in the summer here. That was one of the determining factors of me ditching my Ulysses, was I was getting cooked.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Thanks, The bike is right at the nada retail price right now. I'm assuming I can bargain down a bit.. If I couldnt, Id walk. I have looked off and on at these over the years, but this one kind of presents itself and is close by..I would think that Fairing would protect ya pretty good from the heat wouldnt it? That brings up a good point though, cause if I ever commuted on it, Id be in 95 degree heat in the summer here. That was one of the determining factors of me ditching my Ulysses, was I was getting cooked.

The 1st generation (2003-2005) had some real heat issues. 2006 and up are much better. They do throw off some heat - but nothing like a Honda ST1300. WOOF ! Or an air-cooled bike.

If price is a factor - then check out Craigslist. A good used 2008 can be had for around 5K or less. Asking price is just that. A little negotiation goes a long way.

FJR1300's are good, reliable motorcycles. With luggage .

..... or you can spend a lot more $$$ for the newest versions with heated grips, cruise control, 6 speed......
Personally - I'll take the Gen II bike and save the $$$

Here's a 2008 model in the St. Louis area with 19,000 miles and some extras
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/6182962833.html
and another
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/6157118392.html

Last edited by kballowe; 06-19-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
The 1st generation (2003-2005) had some real heat issues. 2006 and up are much better. They do throw off some heat - but nothing like a Honda ST1300. WOOF ! Or an air-cooled bike.

If price is a factor - then check out Craigslist. A good used 2008 can be had for around 5K or less. Asking price is just that. A little negotiation goes a long way.

FJR1300's are good, reliable motorcycles. With luggage .

..... or you can spend a lot more $$$ for the newest versions with heated grips, cruise control, 6 speed......
Personally - I'll take the Gen II bike and save the $$$

Here's a 2008 model in the St. Louis area with 19,000 miles and some extras
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/6182962833.html
and another
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/6157118392.html
This is all good Info, thanks Kballowe.. So a 2008 with 29K on it, seems to have plenty of years of life left, and I am not seeing anything glaring from research to scare me off. I think the first valve adjust was supposed to be 26.5K..Wonder if it had that done..Hmmm. I think If I purchase it, I might, Provided thers no glaring issues, simply ride the season on it and this fall look at the valves, and all that kind of stuff..

They are asking ,5500 for this one, its black, has tires with very little wear on them, Id say no more than 1500 miles or so..

I think Ill make a trip tomorrow and check it out a little further.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Garage
My 07 was a great bike but with my hip and knee i just couldn't get comfortable on it or i would probably still be riding it. I bought it from a private party Jan 2014 for $6500 it had 14,000 miles on it with all the oem luggage. I traded it in July 2016 with 36,000 miles on it and they gave me $4000 trade in. i could have worked out some more but i hammered them on the price of the new bike enough. They did nothing to it and slapped a selling price of $6999 on it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 06-19-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
My 07 was a great bike but with my hip and knee i just couldn't get comfortable on it or i would probably still be riding it. I bought it from a private party Jan 2014 for $6500 it had 14,000 miles on it with all the oem luggage. I traded it in July 2016 with 36,000 miles on it and they gave me $4000 trade in. i could have worked out some more but i hammered them on the price of the new bike enough. They did nothing to it and slapped a selling price of $6999 on it.
Thanks Joe, I knew you had some disagreements with yours, but couldn't remember if it was a mechanical thing or other.. You're tall, like 6' 5 or something if I remember aren't you? I could see you being cramped up on it, it looks like it would fit me well at 5'11 I think?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Joe, I knew you had some disagreements with yours, but couldn't remember if it was a mechanical thing or other.. You're tall, like 6' 5 or something if I remember aren't you? I could see you being cramped up on it, it looks like it would fit me well at 5'11 I think?

I'm 6'2" But 1 knee was screwed because of football. Then got hit by a car on my V-650 that screwed up my good knee and hip in 2011. The FJR is a great commuter bike at least for me. It was easier to lane split than the Versys being shorter and the bars were not as wide. It got heavy if 2-up stop and go traffic for long periods of time....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Old 06-19-2017, 03:37 PM

Garage
Not an FJR But close enough....Fly down and ride back.....Lowered 2007 BMW K1200GT $4,900 - TWT Forums

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 PM

Garage
I had an 06 with 40,000 miles when I sold it. Never a problem with it. Really miss the bike, but I do like the Versys better for what I use it for, which is mostly commuting.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 PM

A guy I work with has a 2005 with over 200k on it. He commutes about 130 miles, 4 days a week, and no problems. If you are a taller person you might want to look at the Concours 1400. I just bought one and put 2" risers on it and dropped the pegs. I'm 6'7" and did a 310 mile ride last week. The older Fjr's are 5 speed. I believe in 2015 they added an extra gear. I have seen some pretty good deals on cycle trade for both the Concours and Fjr. I also have the Versys 1000. I'm partial to Kawasaki because the two bikes I have are better suited for taller folks. There's a bike out there for everyone. Test ride it, you might not even like it.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Not only do these big engines put out heat, but these sport touring bikes isolate you from the wind. Even if the bike does a good job at evacuating the heat out the side vents, the rider gets very little evaporating wind across their bodies. These make better cold weather bikes than hot weather. I only kept my Triumph Trophy SE one year / 10,000 miles because I was cooking in the southern heat on that bike. Most of the 30,000 I put on the Concours were done in the colder months.

Good luck.

My Versys Travels:

Old 06-20-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Not an FJR But close enough....Fly down and ride back.....Lowered 2007 BMW K1200GT $4,900 - TWT Forums
This is a killer deal and looks like a good adventure, however I have only one Beemer Dealer within an hour of me. I dodnt use the dealership often, but if I ever needed to I would want one with a far better reputation than the one I'd have to use.
weljo2001 likes this.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not only do these big engines put out heat, but these sport touring bikes isolate you from the wind. Even if the bike does a good job at evacuating the heat out the side vents, the rider gets very little evaporating wind across their bodies. These make better cold weather bikes than hot weather. I only kept my Triumph Trophy SE one year / 10,000 miles because I was cooking in the southern heat on that bike. Most of the 30,000 I put on the Concours were done in the colder months.

Good luck.
This is a concern of mine, On my Uly it was absolutely cooking my legs, but everywhere else I was fine.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, I have decided to look into it a bit closer, i'm making an appointment with the dealer today. It must be in the back somewhere because I know its been on their website for about 14 months, and I have never seen it on my stops there for fluids etc. so I'll call to give them a heads up to drag it out so I dont have to wade through a sea of bikes in back.
Gonna call Progressive and see what my rates would be on it as well, just for giggles. Thank you folks for the insight..
Old 06-20-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Good luck.

I've had 3 FJRs: one in the USA, a previous one here in Oz and still have one now.

They are great bikes for long distance touring and are excellent two-up bikes. The engines last for ever, have 6000mile/10000km service intervals and having been popular for years there is a wealth of knowledge and aftermarket stuff available.

I've never found heat to be a problem. The electrically adjustable screen is a great way to alter the airflow on the fly.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM

I HAVE noticed that as you raise that windscreen, a bit more heat comes out lower.

Don't know of anything that puts out zero heat. DO know a couple that are horrible. Honda ST1300 and Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 come to mind here........ My '05 Road King would could cook up some huevos.........

You go ride that thing and let us know what you think. I never had a heat problem with mine, But yes, I agree @twowheeladdict that they certainly make good winter bikes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in