9000 Fallen At Normandy - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

10Likes
  • 5 Post By Time
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 3 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

9000 Fallen At Normandy

Freedom is nor was it ever free. The outline are in remembrance of the 9000 Americans who lost their live at the Normandy landings.

The rest of the story.

Nick Viggiano
A large percentage of our country doesn't know of, or care about Normandy. A few weekends ago, British artist Jamie, accompanied by numerous volunteers, took to the beaches of Normandy with rakes and stencils in hand to etch 9,000 silhouettes into the sand, representing fallen soldiers. Titled The Fallen 9000, the piece is meant as a stark visual reminder of those who died during the D-Day beach landings at Arromanches on June 6th, 1944 during WWII. The original team consisted of 60 volunteers, but as word spread nearly 500 additional local residents arrived to help with the temporary installation that lasted only a few hours before being washed away by the tide.
9,000 Fallen Soldiers Etched into the Sand on Normandy Beach to Commemorate Peace Day.
What is surprising is that nothing about this was seen here in the U.S.
Someone from overseas had a friend who sent it with a note of gratitude for what the U.S. started there. Please share with others who understand "freedom is not free -- nor has it ever been"

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 04:54 PM

Thanks for posting that. The pictures are going around on Facebook. The casualties in various WWII battles are staggering compared to what we see today. It is a good perspective.

One of my great-uncles went ashore on D-Day with the Brits. He survived to his mid 90's. I remember talking to him briefly about the war when I was in my early teens. At that age I didn't appreciate what he had to say.

On another Memorial Day rememberance, in 1976 my town had a Bicentennial theme to the annual Memorial Day parade. (Do they even have Memorial Day parades in small towns any more?). I was 16 at the time and was chosen to wear the WWI wool dress uniform in the parade. I went to the combat vet's house and chatted with him for a while. He handed me the uniform to wear. Man, I had no idea the honor he was giving me.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Freedom is nor was it ever free. The outline are in remembrance of the 9000 Americans who lost their live at the Normandy landings.

The rest of the story.

Nick Viggiano
A large percentage of our country doesn't know of, or care about Normandy. A few weekends ago, British artist Jamie, accompanied by numerous volunteers, took to the beaches of Normandy with rakes and stencils in hand to etch 9,000 silhouettes into the sand, representing fallen soldiers. Titled The Fallen 9000, the piece is meant as a stark visual reminder of those who died during the D-Day beach landings at Arromanches on June 6th, 1944 during WWII. The original team consisted of 60 volunteers, but as word spread nearly 500 additional local residents arrived to help with the temporary installation that lasted only a few hours before being washed away by the tide.
9,000 Fallen Soldiers Etched into the Sand on Normandy Beach to Commemorate Peace Day.
What is surprising is that nothing about this was seen here in the U.S.
Someone from overseas had a friend who sent it with a note of gratitude for what the U.S. started there. Please share with others who understand "freedom is not free -- nor has it ever been"
That is awesome. Thank you to everyone on this forum for your service!!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 PM

Garage
My dad just after he shot down his first plane right before his 17 th birthday. Bottom row last guy on right He went into the Navy at 16 years of age in 1940 Retired in 1961 just before i was born....He lost a lot of good friends in WWII and then the Korean War

Image 5-29-17 at 4.11 PM by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Garage
June 6th is the anniversary of the D Day landing. My junior high school principle, many years ago, who was near retirement age at the time, had a glass eye that seemed to randomly focus on things while his good eye maintained focus on the person he was talking to. As he told the story every Remembrance day to his students, he stepped off the landing craft at Juno beach and was promptly hit in the eye and body by shrapnel. His war only lasted only one day.

"The beach landing was only the start of the battle of Normandy. It did not end until August, 1944. Over 425,000 Allied and German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy. This figure includes over 209,000 Allied casualties, with nearly 37,000 dead among the ground forces and a further 16,714 deaths among the Allied air forces. Of the Allied casualties, 83,045 were from 21st Army Group (British and Canadian with a single Polish division), 125,847 from the US ground forces. The losses of the German forces during the Battle of Normandy can only be estimated. Roughly 200,000 German troops were killed or wounded. The Allies also captured 200,000 prisoners of war (not included in the 425,000 total, above). During the fighting around the Falaise Pocket (August 1944) alone, the Germans suffered losses of around 90,000, including prisoners."

Last edited by twowheels; 05-30-2017 at 12:22 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

These are the darkest day in human history which should have never happen. We were created to serve mankind but somehow we landed up killing one another.- SAD.

Thanks for the reminder and thanks for sharing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

In Canada we remember the vets on the 11th November, Remembrance Day.

Both my grandfathers died as a result of being gassed in WW1 (back in Canada, later, however), the uncle I'm named after died returning to England after bombing Berlin in a Halifax bomber, my father served during the Korean War, while I served in the army militia, then became a pilot in the RCAF, so I come from a military background, and I talked about it to my children.

Back about 1980 I was getting ready to go to the Remembrance Day ceremony at the local cenotaph when my son came to me, and asked if he could come too. I said "Yes", then he asked if HE could pick his OWN clothes, etc (he was 4 or 5 years old), and again I said "Yes."

Imagine my surprise when he put on a green jacket, and took his toy M-16 (I had carved it for him for Christmas) w/ him, and then stood at attention on the side of the road as the veterans marched past, holding his little rifle.

Later I asked him WHY he'd chosen that jacket and his toy-rifle. He said it was so he could show his pride in the old soldiers.

That brought tears to my eyes....
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode