Motorcycle Sale Dilemma - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle Sale Dilemma

I have a young man that is interested in my Ninja 650. He has never owned a motorcycle before and his only experience is mountain biking and he just passed his MSF course. Now I know the Ninja isn't a powerhouse but it is very torquey with a snatchy throttle. In our first email I gently suggested he might want to consider a smaller displacement bike to start but his counter-argument is that he wants a bike that he can grow into. So what's the consensus, would you sell a Ninja 650 to a beginner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
When I was 19, my first bike was a Yamaha XS750 triple with every touring accessory available. I had extensive bicycling experience. No MSF class, but rode friends dirt bikes a few times.

Only the buyer can judge whether they will be a mature rider.

If you are concerned, have him meet you at a large empty parking lot with cash in hand. If he proves to you that he can control it, it is his. If he wrecks it, you can decide if it is still his or if you will deduct money to fix it and send him down the road a little poorer.

Make sure you have an agreement in writing if you decide to do this.

I think the 650 is a good starter bike for a skilled mature person who is physically strong enough and tall enough to handle it.

Usually you can tell by talking with someone whether they should start in something lighter, less powerful, and more drop damage resistant.
twowheels likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 AM

If a kid wants to kill himself on a bike he will find a bike to do it on. I turned a few buyers away in the past but finally decided that I need to sell a bike and they need a bike. Cash in my hand then good luck to you.

Theoretically he is a safe rider if he passed the class. At what point will he be a good enough rider for a 650 is anybody's guess.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 AM

I would sell it to him if he is willing to pay your price and not worry about what happens after that.
turn8a, aboyandhisversys and Pazzo like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 AM

When you say young man, is he 18 or older? If not, I would not sell to him without consent from his parents. If he is of age, wish him luck and count your money.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Many years ago I sold a 74' Norton 850 (foot brake and shifter are opposite) to a gent who had no idea how to ride it. He said he knew how to ride, he wanted it, and had the money so I sold it to him. As he rode away I wondered if he would make it through the first corner. Never saw the bike again..............or him.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:36 AM

If the buyer is 18 yo or older take the money and run.
The potential buyer, if serious, will purchase a bike from you or from someone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
If he can afford it and wants it. Then he should have it. He's his own man making his own decisions.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 PM

It's refreshing and creditable that you're concerned about this young man's safety but, as others have implied, you're not his father or mother. Does this young man impress you as being reckless or irresponsible?

He did pass the MSF Basic Rider's Course which means he has some understanding of basic handling techniques. And if he has the proper license required by the state of MA, he is entitled to ride on public roads at his own risk. It doesn't mean he will be entirely safe in a street environment but that shouldn't prevent you from selling to a willing buyer.

It appears that your unstated presumption is that, because he's young, he will likely squirt himself into the weeds or another vehicle and it might be your "fault." But would you refuse to sell jet ski, or snowmobile, or gun or knife to an individual because you were concerned they might injure themselves?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:29 PM

Garage
Yes, sell it to him. It will be his responsibility to ride correctly, just as it is all of ours.

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
An acquaintance of mine sold a KLR 650 to a 20 year old who flew in from Oregon. Upon purchase, the young man headed to the TN mountains before heading for home. He never made it out of the mountains. Lost it in a corner and kissed a guard rail. His family went after my acquaintance on civil court.

Make sure you have a bill of sale with as is written on it to protect yourself.

When it was time for me to part with my ninja 650, I traded it in because I didn't want to see who would be riding it after me.
chrisfla1 likes this.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

I haven't met the young man face to face yet. All communication has been through email. What I know of him is what he has told me. This will be the fourth bike I've sold through CL and I always have a bill of sale as well as a document for test ride that essentially states, if you break you buy. I also refuse the right for a test ride if I feel the rider isn't mature enough.

Most likely I will sell if he wants to buy. I don't know how old he is but I agree, no sale to a teenager without parental consent (17). I know he has passed the msf class but like my teacher told our class after passing, "you are now all qualified to ride around a parking lot in second gear". He wasn't dismissing what we learned just trying to tell people to keep learning.

Thanks to everyone, appreciate the replies and I realize a person will get the bike they want whether I sell it to them or not.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 PM

I couldn't help myself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If he can afford it and wants it. Then he should have it. He's his own man making his own decisions.
Dear Washington D.C:

I'm his own man making his own decisions.

Please remember this when you make overreaching, grabby invasions into my life.

Thank you for time.

_Every rational voter in America today...
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Garage
When I turned 18 my first street bike purchase was a 1975 Kawasaki H2 (750 2-stroke) Widow Maker (I'm old).
I did have 10-years of experience riding and racing dirt bikes but never on a street bike.
Lots of fun learning on that bike, scary times too.
The new rider can go to any motorcycle dealer and they'll sell him anything he wants.
chrisfla1 likes this.

2016 Versys 1000LT Roseville, CA
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Yes, sell it to him. It will be his responsibility to ride correctly, just as it is all of ours.
In a nut shell!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
FIRST bike I ever rode (and then owned...) was a '62 Triumph 650.

Got it up to somewhere around 140mph a few years later when I turned it into a "drag-bike".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
When I turned 18 my first street bike purchase was a 1975 Kawasaki H2 (750 2-stroke) Widow Maker (I'm old).
I did have 10-years of experience riding and racing dirt bikes but never on a street bike.
Lots of fun learning on that bike, scary times too.
The new rider can go to any motorcycle dealer and they'll sell him anything he wants.
Scary is an understatement. I rode my friends many times. When it came on the power band at about 3500RPM your head better be over the front fender, because the front tire was determined to see just how high it can climb. If I'm not mistaken when you first nail it the motor is producing about 12HP and the motor is making a deep Brrr sound.. When it comes on the power band the motor makes a loud high pitch Weeee screaming sound, and the HP jumps from 12 to 72 instantly. Scary? yes but an adrenaline rush you will never forget. My only complaint about the bike is that it was not a good handling bike, and was unstable (shakey) in curves. Fun read http://www.cycleworld.com/kawasaki-h...ics-remembered

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 05-10-2017 at 07:49 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:38 PM

Garage
Tire and suspension technology was lacking back in the 70's. Wheelies on the freeway at 80mph were fun.
I replaced it with a Suzuki GS1000E in 1978-79, lot better daily driver, then a GSX-R1100 that was even better.
Hard to believe I survived those years, but less traffic and nobody texting.
chrisfla1 likes this.

2016 Versys 1000LT Roseville, CA
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Tire and suspension technology was lacking back in the 70's. Wheelies on the freeway at 80mph were fun.
I replaced it with a Suzuki GS1000E in 1978-79, lot better daily driver, then a GSX-R1100 that was even better.
Don't forget the cbx !
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Yea! it is a miracle that either one of us survived. I'm 65 now. I to owned a GS1100E. again probably the fastest bike made at that time, and they handled pretty darn good. Don't guess I've ever been on a GSX-R1100. Was it faster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode