Thailand Floods. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thailand Floods.

http://d.yimg.com/hb/ng/co/afp/20101...mVUcpEtl250w--

On my way to work in Had Yai office and am stuck 70km away in a little town and its been pouring for the last 2 days.

About 100 people have lost their lives and mostly children and authorities have warn on rising waters in the coming days. Will wait it out till tomorrow and of situation get worse will head home to dry land.

we are headed this way to Phuket for a group ride in two weeks time and may have to cancel the ride is situation get worse.

FastO from Thailand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here are some pictures, not so good as I did not want to get wet.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Glad to hear you are all right.

My parents and 15 other bikes are unsure of their Thailand trip this wednesday. They plan for Hat Yai,Krabi, Phuket, Surat Thani, Ranong, Chumpon. It's planned for 1 week. They will decide by tmow.

Hope this bad weather will pass over soon.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

If its this Wednesday than its a no go. Police were around the Hotel advising on the flood situation and the rain is still pouring and this is the 3rd day non stop. Part of Changlun-Malaysian side is also flooded and water is spilling over from Thai side.

Will keep posted.

FastO form Danok Southern Thailand.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This is Malaysian [email protected] 1400hrs

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 AM

Thank you for the info, Fasto.

I rcvd weather forecast of the South east Asia twice a day from Fugro.
There is a low depression 1004 milibar in the Gulf of Thailand moving W-WNW across the Thai peninsular. It should loss some strength across land mass and expected to gain strength again when it enters the Bay of Bengal near the Andaman sea.

Have a safe trip back home.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Some update Steven as I need to get back home.

Malaysia have closed North South highway:-

this evening's news fm STAR online :

++++++++++++++++++

Floodwaters force closure of Changlun stretch of NSE

ALOR SETAR: Continuous rain since Sunday has forced the closure of KM10.2 of the North-South Expressway in Changlun, Kedah, causing massive traffic jams on either side of the expressway.
The stretch has been closed since 1pm Monday after it was submerged under two metres of floodwaters.
++++++++++++++++
FastO
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Unhappy

Sad to hear of the loss of life. We are fortunate to get our dumpings in the form of snow this time of year. I pray the rain might pass quickly. Hope you all can stay safe!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
Sad to hear of the loss of life. We are fortunate to get our dumpings in the form of snow this time of year. I pray the rain might pass quickly. Hope you all can stay safe!
Thanks GrandPa Ron.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Very sad to hear of such loss of life, keep safe fasto and keep us updated on your progress home.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Thoughts & prayers are with you guys!! Try to stay safe...

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 PM

Good to hear you are OK, Fasto. Be patient, you'll make it back home. Keep us updated.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks Guys and I am back home safely and thanks again.

Meet up with stlee 29 on the way back just to say thanks and that I am Ok.

Situation is bad in some place and the highway is still closed. Had to re route through one of the last route to the south. Hope is doesn't get any worse. This is the worst flood in South Thailand and loss of life is on the raise and prayers for those affected by the flood. http://i1.makcdn.com/Business2009/Me...three_cols.jpg

some pictures on my return journey back home.

Floods trap thousands in southern Thailand
BANGKOK (Tuesday,Nov 2, 2010): Floodwaters on Tuesday trapped thousands of people in Thailand's popular tourist city of Hat Yai, as heavy rains continued to plague the country.
Hat Yai Mayor Prai Pattano said floodwaters between one and two metres deep had inundated more than 80% of the city, 700km south of Bangkok, trapping more than 30,000 people in their homes and making it difficult for foreign tourists to leave.
Hat Yai airport was still operating Tuesday but train and road access to the city had been cut off.
Hat Yai, a popular destination for Malaysian and Singaporean tourists, was hit by a tropical storm that slammed into Thailand's south-eastern coastline Monday. Widespread flooding in Thailand's southern provinces has cut the train service to the region.
High seas in the Gulf of Thailand also forced ferry boats servicing popular tourist islands such as Koh Samui and Koh Tao to stop operations Tuesday.
The Thai Navy has dispatched an aircraft carrier to get emergency relief supplies to Hat Yai and evacuate patients from city hospitals.
Hat Yai has suffered a citywide blackout, Mayor Prai said. "No one had expected that the situation would be so critical," he said.
Thailand has been hard hit by unusually heavy rainfall since Oct 10, which meteorologists blame on the El Nina weather phenomenon, caused by an unusual cooling of the Pacific Ocean.
At least 104 have died in flooding in central Thailand over the past three weeks, according to the disaster prevention and mitigation department, and affected the livelihoods of some 3.5 million people.
The country has not experienced such devastating floods in 25 years, said Anond Snidvongs, director of the South-East Asia START programme, a Bangkok-based global monitor of weather patterns and global warming.
"It is not clear to what degree global warming plays a role in this, but obviously society is not well prepared to even deal with the current climate challenges," Anond told the German Press Agency dpa.
In Hat Yai, for instance, he said city planners had built too many roads, blocking off possible drainage routes and spillways for floodwaters. "We need to make people realise that water and weather extremes are part of life now," Anond said.
The government has allocated about 20 billion baht (RM2.07 billion) in emergency assistance to some 632,000 households affected by the floods nationwide. The floods are expected to shave about 0.32% growth off the economy this year. – dpa

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Fastoman; 11-02-2010 at 08:14 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM

My co-worker who rides a Hayabusa year-round is in Thailand now doing his yearly riding tour. Hope he avoids the floods!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Glad your alright Fasto, we had bad flood over winter and think it may be from the same el nina effect, we are predicted to have a warmer drier summer here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode