Long Way Round - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Long Way Round

Watch "Long Way Round" on Current TV, Tuesdays at 9/8c.

Long Way Round

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman met on the set of "The Serpent's Kiss" in 1997 and formed a strong friendship through their mutual passion for motorbikes, the freedom of the open road, and the adrenaline rush of an extreme challenge.

In "Long Way Round," they travel 20,000 miles through 13 countries -- riding from London through Eastern Europe and Russia, then flying to Alaska and continuing through Canada and the U.S. to end in New York City.

From being held at gunpoint in Kazakhstan to witnessing the majestic vistas of Mongolia, this series captures the spirit of friendship and adventure in a completely fresh way.

Watch "Long Way Round" on Current TV, Tuesdays at 9/8c.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 10-24-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Gotta see this... is it on one of the networks?
Or is "current" tv a pay channel?

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:55 AM

They also came out with "Long Way Down". I bought both DVD's when they came out. Great fun to watch."Cafe Racer" is on Discovery HDTV on Wednesday nights now. It looks interesting too.
Lot's of great motorcycle documentaries out there and I try to get all of them. That way, when I get too old to ride, I can sit around saying, I remember when I used to do that.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
They also came out with "Long Way Down". I bought both DVD's when they came out. Great fun to watch."Cafe Racer" is on Discovery HDTV on Wednesday nights now. It looks interesting too.
Lot's of great motorcycle documentaries out there and I try to get all of them. That way, when I get too old to ride, I can sit around saying, I remember when I used to do that.
and as you get even older your children / grand children will be able to tell you that you used to that
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Current TV on cable and satellite, current events documentary channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
Gotta see this... is it on one of the networks?
Or is "current" tv a pay channel?

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 10-25-2010 at 09:00 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM

I have the full DVD set for Long Way Round and Long Way Down. Excellent series! Love the Russian Segment from Long Way Round and the Rowanda segment from Long Way Down.

I bought my DVD sets in England and I have a zone-free DVD player at home - so no issues playing North America or Europe DVD's
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 PM

Thanks cmoreride, guess I'll get the dvd/download...we're too cheap for good cable...it costs us over 100/mo for basic cable and internet light.
The money we save pays for the odd dvd or rental

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 10-25-2010 at 10:21 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 PM

Personally, I haven't seen the video. I researched it a little bit a few weeks ago - when I found out they had a support truck tagging along as well as the film crew, and then water crossings on Russian trucks - that kind of took the wind out of the sails for me. Equates to Major League Baseball stats on Steroids - should they stand in the record books?

Last edited by Tex Vs; 10-25-2010 at 11:42 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
Personally, I haven't seen the video. I researched it a little bit a few weeks ago - when I found out they had a support truck tagging along as well as the film crew, and then water crossings on Russian trucks - that kind of took the wind out of the sails for me. Equates to Major Baseball stats on Steroids - should they stand in the record books?
There is a kiwi guy and his wife who have been going around the world for a number of years, gareth and jo morgan. have read a few of their books and they talked about just missing crossing paths with the long way around entourage and said the same thing as you Tex about all the support crews, the Morgans road with other friends with no support or camera crews riding their bmw's.
http://worldbybike.com/worldmap.php
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 AM

The book was taken very poorly amid russian readers, they say. "Half the book they praise BMW, and the other half they whine and dwell on how terrible the conditions are". (c)
Similar responses all over the ru. net... But I'm thinking to buy the book, see for myself. I don't envision any discoveries though. Kazakhstan and Mongolia are quite the sh*tholes, really. Especially for those not accustomed to their traditional lifestyle. Which is - utter lack of such.

Carpe Diem
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 AM

Not done on a bike...but great fun and lots of jealousy to be found reading and seeing the pictures.
An old friend of mine who I have not seen since I lived in Italy when I was 21, Adrian Truscott, and his friends take a beastly adventure.

http://www.beastlyadventure.com/

The more I read the more jealous I am.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 AM

If one had the money, Globebusters had travel packages.
http://www.globebusters.com/expeditions/epic

Riding for a good cause
http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...ydney-to-paris

BMW sales sure went up after Ewan and Charley ride.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Been following these couple of lads riding for a good cause, they finished now.
http://www.ridefortheirlives.co.nz/r...ives/Home.html
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:14 AM

As far as the "Long Way" series, you just have to watch it for entertainments sake. The two riders being actors first pretty much sets the theme for the rest of the show. However, I found myself having to watch the episodes each night after work because I wanted to see the areas they were riding.
I also own a bunch of other DVD's on every kind of motorcycle journey I can find. Those cold, rainy days, my wife and I drag them out and have a cold one, watch some weird documentary on motorcycles, while we dream about having that kind of lifestyle.
"Race to Dakar" is another one that is amazing too.

IBA #23562

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 AM

I borrowed the DVD set, but have had a hard time watching it. It is excessively dry and boooooring so far. My wife and I took an 11,000 mile trip a couple of years ago and our entire trip took a LOT less time and money than just their planning did. We had no support vehicles or crews. We didn't have new BMW's. Just a poorly maintained 12 year old Bandit600 in dubious at best condition, and a better maintained but as it turned out in worse shape 7 year old Vulcan 750.
Our trip blog:
http://ctoons124.blogspot.com/
Our trip photos:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569728854ZMTScb
To be fair, our trip was entirely in the USA and mostly on good roads, but it still seems that they could've done a lot more with a lot less. I'm hoping disc 2 and 3 are a lot better than disc 1.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 AM

I'm think they will be. I had the same feeling when I first watched it. As you know, a movie about motorcycle tirps won't replace your own adventure trips, but when your not riding, and your planning your next great trip, this beats watching regular TV.

IBA #23562

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Deep down alot of us including me were envious. So we trivialized the show. What if someone came and offered a chance to do what they did but you have to have a support vehicle you would say NO??
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 PM

I would probably say " Look here, I think I have a better idea..."
Honestly, I've gotten more enjoyment reading some of the ride reports on this forum. (Particularly that trip through South America...)
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5141
Through the first three episodes the Long Way Round seemed more like a man-love thing than a motorcycle thing. I will, however, continue to watch when I've got absolutely nothing better to do in the hopes that it does get better.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

Last edited by potus2012; 10-26-2010 at 02:48 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Hey guys, they called from 2004.
They want their TV show back.

To be honest this show is what firmly steered me towards motorcycles and motorcycle travels.

From this point it seems like a lemonade when compared to real adventures and real travelers but back then I thought they were tough.

One should keep in mind that it's a reality-TV program and not real life.
It's a nice introduction to adventure-motorcycling.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM

Long way round and Long Way Down are both on Netflix now. Don't know how long they've been available, but I just found them and am totally hooked. Really makes me want to get some Avon Distanza's (or similar) and crash bars and do some adventure riding.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode