Koso Apollo Heated Grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Koso Apollo Heated Grips

Heated Grips came in this morning so i put them on before we get rained on the next few days. Went with the Koso Apollo Grips. Super simple install and they work great.

P1010701 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010703 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010702 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-15-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

D.i.y.

Nice Joe
Couple questions, did you cut off original grips or peel off. Much sanding required on the clutch side? Are they glued in place? No question having the controller as a integral part of the grip makes it easier to wire and neater . I notice the throttle side power wire comes off the top of the grip, which is a better option for the Versys. I just broke down and got the mirror extenders, biggest problem was my Oxford controller was coming in contact with the tank bag when bars were hard left. I have the controller mounted to the mirror.
I gather from the many reports, you are enjoying the 1000. I have one more question but best to start another thread sometime, related to the stator output of the 1000 and the regulator used.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Nice Joe
Couple questions, did you cut off original grips or peel off. Much sanding required on the clutch side? Are they glued in place? No question having the controller as a integral part of the grip makes it easier to wire and neater . I notice the throttle side power wire comes off the top of the grip, which is a better option for the Versys. I just broke down and got the mirror extenders, biggest problem was my Oxford controller was coming in contact with the tank bag when bars were hard left. I have the controller mounted to the mirror.
I gather from the many reports, you are enjoying the 1000. I have one more question but best to start another thread sometime, related to the stator output of the 1000 and the regulator used.

Cut off the original grips.
Didn't sand anything.
The grips fit tight will need a big socket & mallet to tap them on.
They supplied glue but none was needed. They are not coming off. So line them up the way you want before you start.
The power line works fine off the top. I wish i would have paid more attention when i started putting them on and rotated the grip slightly forward more.

If you can watch the video i covered what i did in it

Yep, loving the big V

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-17-2016 at 06:22 PM.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Was in the low 50's this morning so took the bike out for an early lunch. Put the grips on the second setting and it felt really good with the thin MechaniX Gloves.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Checked the voltage with the bike cold start idling...14.19 Then turned on the heated grips still...14.19

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Left the house this AM at 0630 - a HARD frost w/ the car TOTALLY covered in frost, so probably around 28F - wearing my electric jacket-liner at setting #3. NICE and warm!

- -
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Left the house this AM at 0630 - a HARD frost w/ the car TOTALLY covered in frost, so probably around 28F - wearing my electric jacket-liner at setting #3. NICE and warm!

- -

I'm fat so no need for a heated jacket. My hands are the only thing to get cold. When the weather gets bad i pull out the Kilimanjaro Jacket without the liner and all is right with the world

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:21 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Heated Grips came in this morning so i put them on before we get rained on the next few days. Went with the Koso Apollo Grips. Super simple install and they work great.
Which version of the Koso Apollo grip did you purchase? On their Taiwan website they list two lengths, 130mm and 120mm.
KOSO-AM111 HEATED GRIP

The US website appears to only offer the 130mm.
Apollo Heated Grips 7/8" + 1" Handlebar for Twist Throttle Applications - Koso North America

Also Part #AM111030 - 130mm appears to be the one sold on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030...o+heated+grips

And it's the one reviewed by webBikeWorld.
Koso Apollo Heated Grips Review - webBikeWorld

What makes me question this, is that in the wBW review he had to trim them to work on a Yamaha XSR900 but they appear to work just fine on your Versys 1000.

Second question. Do you see any reason that these won't work with a Kaoko throttle lock?

Thanks in advance.

Mulley
15 Versys 650 LT, 09 Aprilia Tuono Factory, 16 Beta 300RR, 05 DRZ440S, 11 Husky TE310
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulley View Post
Which version of the Koso Apollo grip did you purchase? On their Taiwan website they list two lengths, 130mm and 120mm.
KOSO-AM111 HEATED GRIP

The US website appears to only offer the 130mm.
Apollo Heated Grips 7/8" + 1" Handlebar for Twist Throttle Applications - Koso North America

Also Part #AM111030 - 130mm appears to be the one sold on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030...o+heated+grips

And it's the one reviewed by webBikeWorld.
Koso Apollo Heated Grips Review - webBikeWorld

What makes me question this, is that in the wBW review he had to trim them to work on a Yamaha XSR900 but they appear to work just fine on your Versys 1000.

Second question. Do you see any reason that these won't work with a Kaoko throttle lock?

Thanks in advance.

Mine were the AM111030 off Amazon. Fit was great for me but i read the same article about having to trim them to fit the XSR900

I believe there should be no issue using a Kaoko Throttle Lock with them. If you look at the second photo you can see i still had some space to go before the grip hit the throttle housing.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:51 PM

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.
weljo2001 likes this.

Mulley
15 Versys 650 LT, 09 Aprilia Tuono Factory, 16 Beta 300RR, 05 DRZ440S, 11 Husky TE310
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM

I just realized that this post is in "Off topic Discussion". It really should be moved. This is great information.

Mulley
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:57 PM

Question about the length of the grip.
A few weeks back i started to use my "Uclear remote" which mounts around the grip. Therefor making the grip around 20mm smaller. This resulted in not being able fo fully grab the handle because the grip was to short. So part of my hand kinda leaned on the handlebar weight. This felt so uncomfertable that i had to relocate it.
Exactly how much shorter does the grip itself become shorter ? And is your gloved hand still entirely on the grip itself ?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freubel View Post
Question about the length of the grip.
A few weeks back i started to use my "Uclear remote" which mounts around the grip. Therefor making the grip around 20mm smaller. This resulted in not being able fo fully grab the handle because the grip was to short. So part of my hand kinda leaned on the handlebar weight. This felt so uncomfertable that i had to relocate it.
Exactly how much shorter does the grip itself become shorter ? And is your gloved hand still entirely on the grip itself ?
This is from the manufacturer. See how that measures up to the OEM grip.

Mulley
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:01 PM

Garage
I installed mine a month ago. I really like them.

One thing on the install that I found out... On the left grip, it fit so tight that I used and large socket and rubber mallet. The thing to pay attention to using this method is the orientation of the power button and how it lines up against the turn signal housing. When the grip was about 3/4 of the way on the bar, I noticed the grip was slightly rotated up but it fit so tight that I was unable to change the angle of the grip. All I could do was keep pounding it on while trying to rotate down. I ended up with the grip button slightly up. Since then , because of that, I have inadvertently pushed the power button while reaching for the turn signal. All in all not a big deal but I thought I should say something for future installs.
Freubel likes this.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulley View Post
This is from the manufacturer. See how that measures up to the OEM grip.

The size is mentioned is the entire grip. How much is there left up to the controle unit itself ?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I'm fat so no need for a heated jacket. My hands are the only thing to get cold. When the weather gets bad i pull out the Kilimanjaro Jacket without the liner and all is right with the world
You're not fat. You're padded for the slide that's all. More of you to love..
weljo2001 likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
You're not fat. You're padded for the slide that's all. More of you to love..

LMAO !!!

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM

I just had the shop install these on my bike a couple of weeks ago. They work well, and get nice and warm. I think the shop used way too much glue though, because my throttle was sticking open. A little unnerving because I had it done just before a long riding weekend. Had to pick up some WD-40, and a razor blade. Trimmed the end grip just a tiny bit, because I thought the rubber was getting hung up on the bar end weight. However, it was still sticking after trimming. Two days of treating with WD-40, and the excess glue finally came out. - Guess I should of done the install myself, but I'm still happy.

Here's a short clip of the 5 heat settings, and my dash/bars setup. Love my Ram phone mount, Cramp Buster, and Go-Cruise throttle lock. All of these things combined make long touring days a breeze.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawimassgirl View Post
I just had the shop install these on my bike a couple of weeks ago. They work well, and get nice and warm. I think the shop used way too much glue though, because my throttle was sticking open. A little unnerving because I had it done just before a long riding weekend. Had to pick up some WD-40, and a razor blade. Trimmed the end grip just a tiny bit, because I thought the rubber was getting hung up on the bar end weight. However, it was still sticking after trimming. Two days of treating with WD-40, and the excess glue finally came out. - Guess I should of done the install myself, but I'm still happy.

Here's a short clip of the 5 heat settings, and my dash/bars setup. Love my Ram phone mount, Cramp Buster, and Go-Cruise throttle lock. All of these things combined make long touring days a breeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5H9TtF5aSM

There was no need for them to use the glue especially on the throttle side. Mine were so tight getting on even using soapy water i had to use a mallet and big socket to get the throttle side on once past the halfway point...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
There was no need for them to use the glue especially on the throttle side. Mine were so tight getting on even using soapy water i had to use a mallet and big socket to get the throttle side on once past the halfway point...
same here
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in