Bar Riser, Maybe? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Bar Riser, Maybe?

I have a weird problem cropping up. Recently, as in the last 6-8 weeks or so, anytime i'm on the bike for more than say, an hour and 10 minutes or so, my wrist and forearm start to ache.
This hasn't always been this way, and I always enjoyed the ergos of the bike. I haven't had any accidents recently, nor sports injuries recently, so I dont know where this is coming from. Thinking I may need to get risers to see if it helps, but dont want to spend the money if it;s not going to. is there anyway to easily temporarily mimic risers in a safe fashion I can use for like a 2 hour ride? I was thinking just putting some washers under the clamp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 07:57 AM

Garage
Not sure how old you are but it took more than 20 years for a knee injury to come back and haunt me. Joint pain and stiffness as we get older is a bitch!
Also, the further I get into my 50s, the more I feel the effects of arthritis that runs in my family.

It seems that what I don't do has more effect on this stuff than what I do.
New pillows on the bed can help with arm pain, depending on how you sleep.
Stretching and simple arm movement exercises can help a lot.
Have you recently stopped doing some activity that uses your arms or, if you spend time at a desk, changed your desk setup? That can cause discomfort.

As far as the bike goes, if you put washers under the risers, make sure the rest of the hardware is long enough.
If you haven't tried rolling the bars back or forward a few degrees, that can make a huge difference. You may not have much room to do that without hitting the tank or windscreen though.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:05 AM

Common issues are levers set too high, grips that are too soft, rider muscle tension, or a new piece of gear causing an issue. Is it one side more than the other?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
Not sure how old you are but it took more than 20 years for a knee injury to come back and haunt me. Joint pain and stiffness as we get older is a bitch!
Also, the further I get into my 50s, the more I feel the effects of arthritis that runs in my family.

It seems that what I don't do has more effect on this stuff than what I do.
New pillows on the bed can help with arm pain, depending on how you sleep.
Stretching and simple arm movement exercises can help a lot.
Have you recently stopped doing some activity that uses your arms or, if you spend time at a desk, changed your desk setup? That can cause discomfort.

As far as the bike goes, if you put washers under the risers, make sure the rest of the hardware is long enough.
If you haven't tried rolling the bars back or forward a few degrees, that can make a huge difference. You may not have much room to do that without hitting the tank or windscreen though.
Yea Im 46 and run, I seem to get pains all over the place if I'm immobile for a while! L

I had a bad motorcycle accident about 15 years or so ago while shooting up a highwall on my ex-wifes bike that wasnt capable of shooting up a highwall. ended up breaking my humorous bone, and my rotator into 12 pieces. I have limited mobility in that arm, however the one that is bothering me is the other side..
I havent rotated the bars yet, that is on my list of things to do, bit I think its more of a vertical issue than a horizontal issue.. Im thinking simply an inch or 1.5 inches would be noticeable as to if it would make any difference.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 AM

I found that the risers put on 2 years ago made the positioning much more neutral. I would suggest that to see if the positioning is the issue, before putting on risers, that you rotate the bar back an inch_-. I am sure you will also have to adjust and reset the throttle, front brake and clutch control positioning's.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Yea Im 46 and run, I seem to get pains all over the place if I'm immobile for a while! L

I had a bad motorcycle accident about 15 years or so ago while shooting up a highwall on my ex-wifes bike that wasnt capable of shooting up a highwall. ended up breaking my humorous bone, and my rotator into 12 pieces. I have limited mobility in that arm, however the one that is bothering me is the other side..
I havent rotated the bars yet, that is on my list of things to do, bit I think its more of a vertical issue than a horizontal issue.. Im thinking simply an inch or 1.5 inches would be noticeable as to if it would make any difference.
Ron - I have 2" ROX Risers on each of my Vs (I'm 5'10", 31" inseam) w/ the 'rise' STRAIGHT UP from the stock position, NOT towards me, which do NOT require cable changes; and I rotated the handlebars a FEW degrees (THAT made a huge difference!). My arms are just a bit below shoulder height while I'm riding, and PERFECT for when standing on the 'pegs.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Ron - I have 2" ROX Risers on each of my Vs (I'm 5'10", 31" inseam) w/ the 'rise' STRAIGHT UP from the stock position, NOT towards me, which do NOT require cable changes; and I rotated the handlebars a FEW degrees (THAT made a huge difference!). My arms are just a bit below shoulder height while I'm riding, and PERFECT for when standing on the 'pegs.

-
That looks promising.. do you have that setup on your 08 as well? Im curious as to any differences in the layout between the 15 and up, and my 14..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:16 PM

What might help is what I do for riding because I have the same problem. I use one of those velcro wraps that are for "tennis elbow" that goes just below the elbow and sort of controls forearm expansion/bruising and on the same arm I wear one of those elastic wraps on my wrist. Actually I wear both of those almost all the time. If I wear them, zero pain. The day I forget them (not just motorcycle riding) they both start to ache. Add to that double knee braces and I feel like I am suiting up for the Superbowl when I go for a ride. If it gets really bad I take a couple Motrin before and after the ride. I have never tried risers, but it does seem a tilt of your bar and/or risers are worth a try. Good luck and keep us posted.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You have to find the natural 'slump' you body needs to be into to ride for long periods.
Leaning too far forward puts pressure on you hands and wrists, people also complaining of shoulder, neck and shoulder blade pain.
Now we are not riding sports bike, so the forward lean on the Versys is not as dramatic, but subtle, and you might not notice it or the fact that handle bar is actually causing it.

Also the sweep of the handle bars is not perfect for every one. Sweep is the angle the bars is bent back.

I am 6ft 4.5in and after 1st using Motowerks antivibration risers on my 2012 Mk Versys, I needed more adjustments and installed the plain Rox 2" risers (not the big chunky one like Fasteddie's vibration risers)

This allows more adjustment of the handle bars. Fasteddy has his up, mine are up and back inline with the rake.

I also rotated my handle bars down towards me the rider. what this did was change the angle of the sweep. It reduced the sweep and also reduced the angle my wrists are with my arms - that is more inline. My wrists are now angled more like a sports bike rider with clip on's, the outside of my hand is lower than the thumbs. This one adjustment made a HUGE difference in reducing my wrist pain. Note that rotating the handle bars like this might not work unless you have Risers. Rotating the handle bars will lower the height of the bar ends and they my hit your tank - so you will have to test your bar movement at full lock.

One tip some adventure bike riders have for upright riding position, is to have the handlebars set so that your arm and wrists are parallel to the ground. Using risers you can achieve this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
That looks promising.. do you have that setup on your 08 as well? Im curious as to any differences in the layout between the 15 and up, and my 14..
Pic #2 IS of my '08...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
...I needed more adjustments and installed the plain Rox 2" risers (not the big chunky one like Fasteddie's vibration risers)....
The "big chunky one" is on the '08 in pic 2, while the '15 has the plain Rox 2" risers. FWIW - I don't see much difference between them as far as 'vibes' go....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the suggestions guys, I am off the bike for a while. Seems I messed my back up a bit cutting firewood for my Son Saturday Morning. Ill revisit this when I can sit for more than 10 minutes.
In short, IM going to rotate the bars forward just a bit, and see if that provides any immediate relief, but Im thinking Im going to go with the Risers, I like Eddies set up.. id probably spent extra and went for the anti-vibe ones a year ago, but vibes really arent an issue so maybe ill save a few bucks and get the standard ones..
Thanks again folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode