Motorcycle Anti-Tampering Act - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle Anti-Tampering Act

FYI Motorcyclist,
Earlier this week, California Governor (and motorcyclist) Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law the Motorcycle Anti-Tampering Act (SB 435), originally introduced by state Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Santa Monica).
What does this bill mean to bikers in California? It means that all motorcycles produced after January 2013 will be required to have a visible EPA stamp that ensures the exhaust is clean burning and doesn’t exceed a noise level of 80 decibels. For those bikes not displaying the stamp, fines of $100 for the first infraction and $250 for subsequent violations will be imposed.
“The noise caused by illegally modified motorcycle exhaust systems is a major quality-of-life issue across the state,” Sen. Pavley said. “Basic common sense and decency dictates that when a motorcycle drives by and sets off every car alarm on the street, it’s too loud.”
It’s interesting that motorcycles are the only target in the bill’s 80-decibel limit (which is roughly as loud as a vacuum cleaner). A point could be made that an equal amount of noise is generated on a regular basis from car alarms, police and news helicopters and loud car exhausts. Is this a case of motorcyclists being unfairly targeted again — or is it a matter of a few morons racking up their pipes in residential neighborhoods and tarnishing the reputation rest of the motorcycle community?
Regardless of how you feel about the new law, it will ensure that the state’s 800,000-plus registered motorcycle owners adhere to both noise and air pollution standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 AM

I don't know how loud the V is but I don't see a need to have a bike that is any louder. On the other hand my EXC200 measured 88 and it is damn quiet compared to other offroad bikes I have had so I'm not sure what will be able to meet 80.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
Is this a case of motorcyclists being unfairly targeted again — or is it a matter of a few morons racking up their pipes in residential neighborhoods and tarnishing the reputation rest of the motorcycle community?
It's the morons. The arguments are that it helps motorists see you on the superslabs if they can hear you. Fine. But then they ride down the main street of my small town's historic downtown district where folks are strolling and eating in sidewalk cafe's, etc. For most people, the sight of some weekend HD-roids in leather vests with loud pipes echoing off the buildings while parading down the street and disturbing everyone else is a real goodwill killer. Enough people complained, hence this law.

Of course, as usual, no one will enforce this law unless the cop is looking for something to add on or make an initial contact, and alot of pre-2013 bikes will be around long past 2013. The loud bike crowd has plenty of runway left.

Someday is not a day of the week.

Last edited by Tigerpawed; 10-06-2010 at 03:21 PM.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
Is this a case of motorcyclists being unfairly targeted again — or is it a matter of a few morons racking up their pipes in residential neighborhoods and tarnishing the reputation rest of the motorcycle community?
I think this a case of a few morons racking up their pipes in residential neighborhoods and tarnishing the reputation of the rest of the motorcycle community, with the result that motorcyclists are being unfairly targeted again.

It's no secret what's causing legislation like this: it's the noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 10-06-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add URL
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Gotta love the Republic of Kalifornia!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I think this a case of a few morons racking up their pipes in residential neighborhoods and tarnishing the reputation rest of the motorcycle community, with the result that motorcyclists are being unfairly targeted again.

It's no secret what's causing legislation like this: it's the noise.
Agreed and nice editorial.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM

perhaps HD should sell a new patch

Loud pipes get fined
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM

I hate loud bikes.

I also hate new laws.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Yada yada

How about a new law against more laws, and lets try and balance the budget CA - This from a state issuing IOU's to its employees.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 PM

It's only a matter of time. In Boston, a local politician who lives in the Italian section (the North End) was tired of being woken up all hours of the night by loud bikes. Now, in Boston, even if you are parked, bike not running, if you don't have the DOT stamp on your end can, you get a ticket. One or two hundred dollars. Even a Meter Maid can do it! LOL. I don't know that they started enforcement yet but the law is now on the books. Bikers are aware of it and there are plenty of loud bikes still around but I'd say this summer was somewhat more quiet.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:04 PM

I can't believe the state of California will create laws restricting decibals on loud motorcycle pipes, without (at the same time at least) going after car speakers that you can hear two blocks away.
Give me a break!

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I can't believe the state of California will create laws restricting decibals on loud motorcycle pipes, without (at the same time at least) going after car speakers that you can hear two blocks away.
Give me a break!

I find it SOOO funny how people will scream & shout about offensive noise levels when it comes to recreation, but say nothing about loud noises when it comes to other things.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Give me a break!
There already is a law on that, but it's seldom enforced and it's tough for a cop to catch it in the act. Once the perp sees the cop, a swift turn of the dial and the sound is gone. I have personally seen people pulled over for music too loud, but the circumstances were that the cars were in downtown tourist area driving very slowly and the Officer happened to be right nearby.

A loud moto pipe is harder to turn down quickly.

As I mentioned, since the law only applies to moto's built after 2012, it's going to be a long time before there won't be any loud ones...by which time someone will be selling a black box farkle with a speaker to play loud moto noises until they see a cop!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 PM

There was an interesting discussion about the topic of load pipes as presented in south park. I'm not a south park fan but this one is histerical.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=south+park
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
...by which time someone will be selling a black box farkle with a speaker to play loud moto noises until they see a cop!
There are already gadgets the plug into a car cigarette lighter socket and read the voltage, then send a V8 (or V10 or V12) signal to your FM radio. As you rev the motor the sound from the car stereo revs up and makes you feel you are in a Ferrari or Bugatti Veyron or something similar. It's only a matter of time before they make one to send fake Ducati music to your BMW headset.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM

As far as offensive noises go, I find the crap that spews from politicians much worse.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
As far as offensive noises go, I find the crap that spews from politicians much worse.
At least we have the power to vote that out of office every election.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:12 AM

I suppose Electric motors are going to take care of everybody's loud pipes.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
I suppose Electric motors are going to take care of everybody's loud pipes.
Nope. You can get a Prius with speakers to make car noises, because some people thought they were too quiet....

I have driven my bosses hybrid Nissan Altima, and when it is in electric mode it is very weird.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 PM

and the debate goes on...meanwhile I have my ear buds, don't really care how loud the HDs are. I do agree about the emissions; follow a HD and the smell of unburned fuel reaks.

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode