Anyone into Drones? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

2Likes
  • 1 Post By aboyandhisversys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone into Drones?

I know there was a discussion some time ago about rc planes and drones and the people who fly them..L

Im looking at the Traxxas ATON plus for the purpose of throwing a go-pro on there and getting some family videos, maybe some cool off-roading shots, etc.. Anyone have any thoughts? Seems reasonably priced at 400 bucks (minus go pro) .. I have run traxxas trucks for years and they have been pretty reliable so thats why I am leaning towards Traxxas instead of other, admittedly fancier models on the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No, but I am going to watch for the responses. I am a commercial and industrial real estate appraiser, and it's only a matter of time that I should be taking a closer look at those roofs I can't get up to, or some large tracts of land that are not completely accessible on land. I am about to read an article on how the FAA is backing off on needing to have a standard pilot's license to use them commercially, even if you are staying below 500' ASL. Saw an article the other day about the GoPro Karma which runs for around $1,000.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
No, but I am going to watch for the responses. I am a commercial and industrial real estate appraiser, and it's only a matter of time that I should be taking a closer look at those roofs I can't get up to, or some large tracts of land that are not completely accessible on land. I am about to read an article on how the FAA is backing off on needing to have a standard pilot's license to use them commercially, even if you are staying below 500' ASL. Saw an article the other day about the GoPro Karma which runs for around $1,000.

Don't waste your money on the GoPro Drone........https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5AWEP1..._t3_B01LYBWQ23 ..The more expensive packages has extra batteries and stuff.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Don't waste your money on the GoPro Drone........https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5AWEP1..._t3_B01LYBWQ23 ..The more expensive packages has extra batteries and stuff.
If I read right, the go pro has been having issues falling out of the sky.. I believe the Mavic pro doesnt have the remote with it, its extra?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Don't forget to get your license.

Remember, there are toys, there are hobbys, and there are professional.

If you are going to get bored in 2 weeks, get a toy.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
DJI is the brand for sure.
I prefer the video from the Phantom 4, personally, but the Mavic is a great product.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:36 PM

Didn't we just elect a handful of them last week?
AdventureSeeker likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
Didn't we just elect a handful of them last week?
Correct I think the Dems gained 2..

So according to my friend who owns an aerial survey company for the last 20 years..
1. you can only fly them on private land and with the property owners permission.
2. not supposed to cross any access points, so roads, trails, etc..
3.I think he said limited to 400'
4. cannot film ANyone other than those who gave permission or its up to a 5K fine per person
5 public places like beaches , parks, ball fields, etc are off limit unless rules are expressly written to allow them.

So Basically it's it pointless unless you go full out and get a license to do so..
How strict laws are enforced are key and they seem fairly lax in a lot of areas especially when you view you tube videos.

I have lost interest.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:43 PM

Check out the Hubsan h502e About $100. Great for your first Drone.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:37 AM

Ron, that's not all incorrect but your friend gave you some bad/incomplete info. Some of that may be true where you are, but all of it is certainly not true everywhere.

Here's the actual FAA rules that apply everywhere are here, and you can get a professional license for a trival investment if it's important to the operator.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
Ron, that's not all incorrect but your friend gave you some bad/incomplete info. Some of that may be true where you are, but all of it is certainly not true everywhere.

Here's the actual FAA rules that apply everywhere are here, and you can get a professional license for a trival investment if it's important to the operator.
My understanding is new rules went into affect in august, that is dated June?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 AM

This is the ruleset that was adopted Aug 1. See here.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayitasitis View Post
After doing a quick once over of the above link to the FAA's stipulations I came across this declaration;
PLEASE NOTE: You DO NOT need a Remote Pilot certificate if you are only operating your drone for hobby or recreational purposes.

So unless you're a realtor or suchlike then it's "carry on as normal" & enjoy your droning!!!
That was listed as a June article, new stricter laws came out in August. And the filming, which is what i'm really interested in has rules as well.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 01:58 PM

If you're familiar w/ the process of federal rulemaking, there's always a period of proposed rules, a period of public comment, a reevaluation period, a posting of the new rules, and then a deadline for the new rules to start.

The rules I listed ARE the new rules. Google "FAA Drone Regulations" and it gives you that page. Those are the MOST RECENT rule set.

They DO apply to amateurs BUT you can certainly cross roads and such and you don't need the special COMMERCIAL license if you're not charging for it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 02:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayitasitis View Post
Well l'd advise you to do some online research if you're so worried about it all...................
It is not a 'worry about it' or not, item. Do you have a motorcycle endorsement on your license? Or are you not worrying about it.

Flying a drone is a privilege, not a right. There are privacy concerns, interference with traffic in the air and on the ground, etc.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 02:33 PM

Garage
If you don't want to spend money repairing your drone, start off with real flight simulator and learn how to fly. $175 investment in learning controlled flight.

The more sensors on board the easier the drone will be to control because the flight computer can take advantage of the sensors for stable flight.

You can also get mission planner to create profiles for way point navigation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode