A watch to wear for riding the V. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A watch to wear for riding the V.

I just bought and received my first "nice" watch from a small stateside company in OH. Lum Tec. The model is the Combat B6.

Lum Tec Combat B6
by kILOfOXtROT, on Flickr

I know ... I know, the strap is the wrong color.. it should be blue right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 PM

nice time piece.
USA design too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Looks like you don't need glasses to see it!
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 04:42 PM

I just use the clock on the dash.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

I ignore time when I'm out... mostly....

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Nice looking watch but $845.00.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
800 bucks....sure; a lot of dough....BUT

It also tells you which way to go...note the arrow at the 12 0'clock position!!!
It's also a bloody GPS!!!!!!!
AWESOME!!!!!!!!

But joking aside...VERY NICE WATCH INDEED...A little pricey for my budget but no doubt a quality time piece.
Well met sir.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 10-02-2010 at 07:03 PM.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:20 PM

$845!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great googely-moogely!!

How does it keep time?? I had a Seiko automatic once, it gained about 30 seconds a day. I also didnt' like that I couldn't leave it off for the weekend without it running down but I guess with yours you can wind it too huh??

I guess I'm just not a watch guy but my new watch is a Citizen Promaster Diver Eco-Drive (Quartz of course). It has lost a hair over 1 second in 3 weeks and won't ever need a battery... ...not until I've otherwise ruined it anyway.

I did also look at another Citizen that's more the style of yours http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8475-00X-Eco-Drive-Military-Plated/dp/B0032FOSI0/ref=sr_1_3?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1286063626&sr=1-3 ...can't decide if I like the great big watches or nor, I have skinny girly wrists.

Nice watch, glad you were able to indulge yourself. We should all reward ourselves every now and then.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
$845!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great googely-moogely!!

How does it keep time?? I had a Seiko automatic once, it gained about 30 seconds a day. I also didnt' like that I couldn't leave it off for the weekend without it running down but I guess with yours you can wind it too huh??

I guess I'm just not a watch guy but my new watch is a Citizen Promaster Diver Eco-Drive (Quartz of course). It has lost a hair over 1 second in 3 weeks and won't ever need a battery... ...not until I've otherwise ruined it anyway.

I did also look at another Citizen that's more the style of yours http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8475...6063626&sr=1-3 ...can't decide if I like the great big watches or nor, I have skinny girly wrists.

Nice watch, glad you were able to indulge yourself. We should all reward ourselves every now and then.

It was quite the indulgence for me. I have always wanted a really really nice watch, but if you think $845 is expensive... take a look at Omega, Rolex, Tag etc, etc... now thats expensive! The B6 was more than I wanted to spend, but I wanted a well made, simple, built in the USofA watch. Lum-Tec delivers.

I have girly wrists too. 6.75" ... this watch is a 43mm and works on my scrawny limb ok I think. The strap is called a NATO strap. The buckle is on the side (on the top side of pictures). That way your buckle doesn't bang the surface when you place your arm there.

The Citizen looks nice BTW.

Last edited by kilofox; 10-02-2010 at 09:38 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 AM

personally i prefer a realtively cheapo watch
a casio 'G Shock'.... its waterproof to 10m depth, it has the alarm and other facitlities I want, its shockproof so it isn't going to go wrong, the face is recessed so it doens't get scratched, buttons also recessed so you cant damage or press them at inopportune moments. the watch battery is recharged using solar power. it talks automatically resets itself based on the radio clock synchronisation depending where you are (it reset itself automatically when i was in North America from UK time

and best of all it only cost around £50.

I don't like wearing a 'good' (read expensive/dress) watch when riding, some are prone to shcok damage, i'd hat to have an incident scratch or otherwise compromise the watch
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:18 AM

Since cell phones got small I stopped wearing a watch. I like the nice big dial of that watch and analog is cool too. I've had bad luck with those nylon straps though. The ones I've owned always ended up stinking pretty bad from sweat. But I work in construction and sweat a lot. Maybe you won't have that problem.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Use a $20.00 NZ cheap watch as usually wreck them at work trying to work around boiler plant but have a more expensive watch for going out.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 AM

If I want the time I use the dash clock and if I want a GPS I use a Zumo, lot cheaper , and easier to see while riding. Intresting Idea, but too expensive .

AMA EAA STN
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 AM

I love watches and have several (none that cost $845) but it's been years since I wore a watch every day. Now they end up being like jewelry that I wear with a suit. Occasionally I wear one knowing that I'll be needing to leave a meeting at a certain time and can check the time more discreetly than looking at my phone. I've always like watches with unusual numbers. I've got one with only even numbers and another with just 4 8 and 12.

Nice piece, by the way.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 AM

At 6'5" 240# I have the so-called "girly wrists" too... I had one that looked just like that and seemed to be meant for smaller wrists.... only i paid 840 bucks less!!

VERY nice! Now don't go bustin it up now!
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I love watches and have several (none that cost $845) but it's been years since I wore a watch every day. Now they end up being like jewelry that I wear with a suit. Occasionally I wear one knowing that I'll be needing to leave a meeting at a certain time and can check the time more discreetly than looking at my phone. I've always like watches with unusual numbers. I've got one with only even numbers and another with just 4 8 and 12.

Nice piece, by the way.
Here is a Combat B1 (not mine) with unusual numbers (minutes only)

Combat B3 Sample

Last edited by kilofox; 10-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 PM

I like it a lot. But I'm a watch geek. You can never have too many watches.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:39 PM

I quit wearing watches about 3 years ago
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 PM
njd

Every man should wear a watch, at the very least when he is dressed up for something.

On my bike, I usually wear my pathfinder. I actually have the smallest one casio ever offered (that I know of at least), so it fits well inside sleeves and gloves. It's still a pretty big watch compared to most, but it can tell you the temperature, changes in barometric pressure (useful if you think a storm may roll in), and also changes in altitude. And it has a compass. Yes, I don't NEED these functions, but considering all of my other watches are very conservative, it's nice to have a gadgety one too.

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
Every man should wear a watch, at the very least when he is dressed up for something.

On my bike, I usually wear my pathfinder. I actually have the smallest one casio ever offered (that I know of at least), so it fits well inside sleeves and gloves. It's still a pretty big watch compared to most, but it can tell you the temperature, changes in barometric pressure (useful if you think a storm may roll in), and also changes in altitude. And it has a compass. Yes, I don't NEED these functions, but considering all of my other watches are very conservative, it's nice to have a gadgety one too.

Thats nice! and practical too. I friend showed me his Omega with a deployment clasp that had 2 "instant" sizes. One size for his bare arm and another size that would expand to fit on the outside of his wetsuit. That would work great for your pathfinder... the one small problem is he told me his deployment was over $200... a little pricey for a watch strap buckle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode