Helmet speakers - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Helmet speakers

I was at walmart yesterday and bought these panasonic slimz ear phones for $10 figuring they might make good helmet speakers. I put them in my helmet last night they fit great. I was able to move the plastic piece and hook it around one of the liner snaps, and fed the wire under the liner and snapped it back in place. I used a little velcro for extra measures. tried the helmet on after words and plugged it into my zune it sounds good, and they are so thin they fit nicely in the ear pocket of my scorpion comfortably. I can't wait to road test this, what A bargain for only $10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31SC5vRDBqL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	8722  

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Great idea! I was not too excited about the 50 bucks or more that many "helmet speakers" were going for. They have lousy reviews too.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Excellent!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I got Sony (in the ear) phones for my ipod. They block wind noise unlike the looser fitting standard ipod ear pieces so I can hear better at lower volumes. They also don't fall out when I put my helmet on.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Update on these ear phones, they served the purpose I was hoping for. I had music, although the quality of sound might not be the best, but part of that might be due to the fact there is a small gap between them and my ears. there isn't an issue of discomfort, or a problem with them falling out like ear buds can have when I put my helmet on. so over all rating for me would be 3 stars out of 5. plus I wasn't at full volume.

Last edited by glowcat13; 10-02-2010 at 09:30 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 PM

try using ear plugs to block the wind noise but you'll probably have to turn up the volume. You may also want to use a headphone amp like a boostaroo to increase the volume. Just make sure you get the amp that uses AA batteries and not AAAA batteries. Those AAAA's are hard to come by unless you rip open a 9v battery, then you get 6 of 'em.

For a while I was using a set of iASUS helmet speakers which worked well but once I tried using noise isolating in ear headphones I haven't gone back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 PM

Those slims look better than the sony mdr-j10's i grabbed yesterday...over ear design keeps them in place...only trouble is getting them off before removing the helmet....if i don't, it can be a little painful. They allow much lower listening volume than I was used to on the 10 dollar specials I had...the wires pulled out of them but they lasted the season...almost!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Funny we should be talking about this again. I have a pair of ER6i's, and love them. However, due to negligence on my part, I lost one of the rubber thingy's on one of the ear buds. So as an emergency solution, I went to walmart & bought a pair of these. Meet the Koss noise isolation ear buds. They don't block the wind noise as good as the ER6i's, but they're pretty good for less than $25. I wanted helmet speakers, but the wind noise is just too great. If there was a helmet that totally blocked wind noise, then helmet speakers would be great!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I have tried ear buds once or twice jvc i think and they did not stay put when I put my helmet on. Other than those few times I have always rode without music, and that is basicaly what I am used to. so having something to listen to takes a little getting used to. I also want to make sure I can still hear my surroundings as well, for things like emergency vehicles and such. I don't want it to be a distraction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode