Harley and the Davidsons - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

7Likes
  • 1 Post By Stud Muffin
  • 1 Post By Ziggy
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 2 Post By RichlandRick
  • 2 Post By trialsguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Harley and the Davidsons

Anyone else watch this last night? If you haven't seen, it's on Discovery at 9:00 part 2 tonight and part 3 tomorrow night. It's hard to make a bad motorcycle movie, this one is pretty entertaining. Almost has me considering a Harley, almost...
trialsguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I watched it, it's been a pretty good story. More to it than just the HD story, lots of other interesting US motorcycle history wrapped in to it.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 PM

I watched the first episode also and found the story interesting and am going to watch the remaining 2 episodes.

But no matter how good the story is I will never be a H-D convert.
weljo2001 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I watched the first episode also and found the story interesting and am going to watch the remaining 2 episodes.

But no matter how good the story is I will never be a H-D convert.

Not for everyone. I'm sure the faithful scoff at me in my high vis gear while riding bone stock Road Glide Ultra. I love all bikes and might even breakdown and buy a Ducati one day. I have owned Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Harley, Triumph, Moto Guzzi. I have looked closely and test ridden Indian, Victory, BMW, and Ducati.

I have owned dirt bikes, trials, sport, adventure, cruiser, standard, and touring.

Thumpers, P-twins, V-twins, triples, and inline 4s have been in my garage.

Give me two wheels and an engine and I am grinning ear to ear.
Ketch likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:49 AM

I'm enjoying the show. I've owned a couple of Harley Davidson's and I remember exactly why I sold them. I will never own another for many reasons. I liked seeing Shrimp give the HOG (pig) to the team leader. If that is in fact how the HOG fits in with the bikes? I wiki'd Shrimp and he apparently was as nutty as the show depicts. Cut his life short racing. What was up with Indian reverse engineering and steeling patents? The show makes the Indian company look sleazy!

Versatile Versys

Last edited by Glenno; 09-07-2016 at 04:52 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Watched most of the first one and most of the second one.

It's hard to cram all that history into a mini-series, especially with all the commercials.

And then ya gotta add drama. Drama sells.

All in all, not too bad for this type of TV movie.

I will watch it again tonight.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:35 PM

I watched the first one. I liked it. It makes history interesting, while capturing the essence of motorcycling (or "murdercycling"?).

Even though they had a $22 million budget for this series, they were not able to set up the outdoor shots to event remotely resemble turn-of-the-century Milwaukee. But, I'm sure that would be expensive, and would be lost on the majority of the viewers (who are not familiar with Milwaukee). I heard it was filmed in Romania.

I even got my wife hooked on the show, and she doesn't even like motorcycles!

This was my favorite scene, so far, when the older Davidson, after a blast through the countryside, realizes what they've really got!

http://videos.vidible.tv/prod/2016-0...4e7nY7pdnGHWvw

Last edited by trialsguy; 09-07-2016 at 03:40 PM. Reason: grammar
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:39 PM

My whole family is watching nd think it is really good. It's hard to believe HD was originally supposed to be a go anywhere do anything machine.

The first episode was inspiring. My son asked me if we could make one. I actually think we could, but there are some here for sale ready to ride or prop up in your man cave.

Timeless Motor Company
trialsguy and twowheeladdict like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
My whole family is watching nd think it is really good. It's hard to believe HD was originally supposed to be a go anywhere do anything machine.

The first episode was inspiring. My son asked me if we could make one. I actually think we could, but there are some here for sale ready to ride or prop up in your man cave.

Timeless Motor Company
Wish I could put one of those in the sun room.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
.... It's hard to believe HD was originally supposed to be a go anywhere do anything machine...

Timeless Motor Company
I had that same thought. It sounds like they were developing an "adventure touring motorcycle". I guess when you think about it, back in 1903, most of the roads were not much more than dirt horse and wagon paths, that turned to deeply rutted mud paths when it rained. I recall seeing old film footage of Model T Fords bouncing their way through deep muddy ruts on the rural roads between towns. Outside of the large cities, paved roads or graded gravel roads were rare back then.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Radical transformations in transportation technology - If you are interested, just watch the first one and a half minutes of this 53 minute video. It contains a great illustration of the transformation of the transportation industry in large cities. In the time period 1900 to 1913 - large cities went from virtually all horse driven transportation - to almost no horses in just 13 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxry...M#action=share
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Garage
Watched the first episode on Kodi yesterday. Good enough production and drama too keep non motorcyclists entertained.

Makes me want to go look at R1200GS, Tiger Explorers, and Super Teneres.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I had that same thought. It sounds like they were developing an "adventure touring motorcycle". I guess when you think about it, back in 1903, most of the roads were not much more than dirt horse and wagon paths, that turned to deeply rutted mud paths when it rained. I recall seeing old film footage of Model T Fords bouncing their way through deep muddy ruts on the rural roads between towns. Outside of the large cities, paved roads or graded gravel roads were rare back then.
Here you go, film from 1918 - of a 1917 Model T - people got tired of getting stuck in the mud, so the long process of building better roads began. The old speaking style of the narrator and background music is a hoot! This process gave us the great (yet somewhat crumbling) road system that we now have, so that we can ride our V's to see this great land of ours.

HD Stock Video Footage - Effects of Ford Model T automobiles on American life; scenes of early road and highway development and sightseeing trips

Here's a go-anywhere 1920's Dodge. Pretty amazing. I want one of those!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode