Canadian made motorcycles - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Canadian made motorcycles

BRP, the company that invented the snowmobile and personal watercraft, considers re-entry into the motorcycle market. Anyone remember Can-Am two stroke dirt bikes? Kinda makes sense as they already own Rotax, Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo and Evinrude and are building the 3 wheeled Spider. Let's hope they do not chose to build them in Mexico.

BRP evaluating two-wheel motorcycle business among options to fuel growth | CTV News

Last edited by twowheels; 08-25-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Canams were pretty hot bikes. If Polaris can do why not BRP?

I rode a Cooper for a while when I was very young. German frame, Yamaha internals on the engine, but other parts made & final assembly in Mexico. A reasonably competent bike for its day.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The problem is BRP dealers. They need to put them in motorcycle dealerships that have motorcycle knowledge. BRP dealers sell everything from chain saws to ski doos.

I rode for almost a complete day in Quebec a while back. Must have passed 30+ of those Bombardier three wheelers. They are really popular and everywhere there, not so much on the Ontario side of the border. May be a dealer thing as the BRP dealer network is very strong in Quebec as they are a Quebec based company. I think there is only one BRP dealer in Ottawa.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-25-2016 at 10:05 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Always liked the Can-Am's and Maico's when i was younger...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Unless they can find a special market, then they may need to wait a while.
The current market for 2-wheeled motorcycles is flooded.

Just sayin'

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Man bringing back the memories mentioning Can-Am and Maico. Both favorites of mine in the late 70's and early 80's. Never owned either one but an older guy had a Maico 250 who lived about a 1/4 mile from me. I would hear it fire up and he would start ripping thru their cow pasture, sent chills up my neck. I remember the Can-Am had a very unique exhaust note compared to the big four 2-stroke bikes.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bultaco, Montesa, Ossa, CZ, Hodaka, Rickman, Penton to name a few more bikes from the past.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

Last edited by Ziggy; 08-26-2016 at 10:37 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:42 AM

Garage
Speaking of Hodaka, one of my favorite bike model names 'The Combat Wombat'

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Bultaco, Montesa, Ossa, CZ, Hodaka, Rickman, Penton to name a few more bikes from the past.
Back in '68, a friend of mine had a 2 cyl from one of the Slavic countires. Can't remember the name. Sometimes he would start it and the bike would be running in reverse. He'd have to kill it, and put it in gear and be pushed forward a bit to get it to go forward after starting it again. Everybody had 2 cyl bikes back then, except Honda was making the the 4 cyl Dreams in 305's and 350's if I recall properly, then they came out with the 450's and the 750.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When I raced enduros (FIM, NOT 'clock-watch!!!) way-back-when......, the BEST bike I ever rode was a Can-Am 400 Qualifier that the factory had set-up for the ISDT as a spare, then released for sale when they got back to Canada.

Later, when I moved back to Alberta, I rode the mountains on it - AWESOME! (And it could cross thru more than 36" of water because the air-intake [thru the frame] was behind the steering-head, right behind the number plate...!)

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode