Advice for trip to Hawaii - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

4Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwi 41
  • 1 Post By kiwi 41
  • 1 Post By kiwi 41
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Advice for trip to Hawaii

Hi Team,

Planning a trip in Nov this year to take my lovely wife for a two week holiday to Hawaii.

Any tips for those that have visited and any of you that live there for us couple Kiwi's who will visit from way down under?

Cheers

Phil
KiwiIsANiceFeller likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What island are you going to?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs111 View Post
What island are you going to?
No idea as I'm definitely going in nov not sure if the plan may include going to mainland US yet but we need a holiday and that's when its happening.

Just after advice of what would be best stuff to do for a first trip.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
No idea as I'm definitely going in nov not sure if the plan may include going to mainland US yet but we need a holiday and that's when its happening.

Oh very cool. I just moved from Oahu a few years ago (I miss it so much!). There's a ton to do there. It would make a great first visit to Hawaii. Waikiki is cool to visit for the day just to see "the" Hawaii. The North Shore is great during the winter time... that's when the big wave surfing competition is held. I can give you a huge list of specific recommendations for Oahu if you're interested. What are you looking to do? Visit beaches, food, hiking, driving touring, snorkeling/scuba, surfing?

The big island is also nice if you'd like to see more natural aspects of Hawaii, like the active volcano, manta rays, black/green sand beaches, etc. Kauai is ideal if you're looking to just relax on the beach with no itinerary. I can't speak to any of the other islands, but I'm sure they're all good.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs111 View Post
Oh very cool. I just moved from Oahu a few years ago (I miss it so much!). There's a ton to do there. It would make a great first visit to Hawaii. Waikiki is cool to visit for the day just to see "the" Hawaii. The North Shore is great during the winter time... that's when the big wave surfing competition is held. I can give you a huge list of specific recommendations for Oahu if you're interested. What are you looking to do? Visit beaches, food, hiking, driving touring, snorkeling/scuba, surfing?

The big island is also nice if you'd like to see more natural aspects of Hawaii, like the active volcano, manta rays, black/green sand beaches, etc. Kauai is ideal if you're looking to just relax on the beach with no itinerary. I can't speak to any of the other islands, but I'm sure they're all good.
Granted, I haven't been there for 25 years and there are things to do and see on that island, but for me Waikiki beach area was kind of an overbuilt, run down tourist trap. Spent some time on Kauai and that was the tropical paradise I was expecting. Maui seems similar.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:

If you have 2 weeks, I suggest do Oahu for the first week. This island will give you a tropical metropolitan feel especially in Waikiki. The beaches are all free to the public, even the ones blocked by the high end hotels... just go through their lobbies in your swimwear, flip flops and towel, you're set. Go to Kailua for a more relaxed atmosphere. You might see some surfers on the north shore. Stop by Halaewa (w pronounced as v), a nice old styled Hawaiian town, although not a secret to tourists anymore. If you're into touristy stuff, go to Hanauma Bay, where the fish literally feeds from your hands... there is a fee though and go early and google which days they are open... fills up right away. Go to Pearl Harbor, pay homage to the fallen on the Arizona... get a little bit of history (kinda sad and painful for me). Then there's the Pali Lookout point for panoramic views and more beaches!!!

As for Maui, old town Lahaina, during the day but especially at night by the waters. If you can wake up real early, around 2 a.m. trek to Haleakala, a dormant volcano where you will drive to the peak and literally be above the clouds. When the sun finally rises, a rainbow of colors emerge, and when they lift, you will see a moon-like landscape like no other on earth.

Lastly, the famous Road to Hana, waterfalls along the way where you can stop and take a dip, mix with locals... this is quite zig zaggy, but worth the trip to the end where you get to the Seven pools, volcanically formed "swimming holes" which flow to the Pacific.

Sorry, kindly lengthy, but I hope this gives you some ideas... enjoy and ALOOOOOHAAAAAA!!!!

p.s. so jealous, but hopefully, me and the wife will go there again next year.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
If you have 2 weeks, I suggest do Oahu for the first week. This island will give you a tropical metropolitan feel especially in Waikiki. The beaches are all free to the public, even the ones blocked by the high end hotels... just go through their lobbies in your swimwear, flip flops and towel, you're set. Go to Kailua for a more relaxed atmosphere. You might see some surfers on the north shore. Stop by Halaewa (w pronounced as v), a nice old styled Hawaiian town, although not a secret to tourists anymore. If you're into touristy stuff, go to Hanauma Bay, where the fish literally feeds from your hands... there is a fee though and go early and google which days they are open... fills up right away. Go to Pearl Harbor, pay homage to the fallen on the Arizona... get a little bit of history (kinda sad and painful for me). Then there's the Pali Lookout point for panoramic views and more beaches!!!

As for Maui, old town Lahaina, during the day but especially at night by the waters. If you can wake up real early, around 2 a.m. trek to Haleakala, a dormant volcano where you will drive to the peak and literally be above the clouds. When the sun finally rises, a rainbow of colors emerge, and when they lift, you will see a moon-like landscape like no other on earth.

Lastly, the famous Road to Hana, waterfalls along the way where you can stop and take a dip, mix with locals... this is quite zig zaggy, but worth the trip to the end where you get to the Seven pools, volcanically formed "swimming holes" which flow to the Pacific.

Sorry, kindly lengthy, but I hope this gives you some ideas... enjoy and ALOOOOOHAAAAAA!!!!

p.s. so jealous, but hopefully, me and the wife will go there again next year.
Cheers for that, i will talk over with my travel agent who is a friend when she gets back from france, may even consider splitting time down and going to LA and do the disney thing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Cheers for that, i will talk over with my travel agent who is a friend when she gets back from france, may even consider splitting time down and going to LA and do the disney thing.

Disney's overrated and over priced. Try Knotts Berry Farm if you like rides and roller coasters Then theres the aquarium of the pacific.... Here ya go...http://www.aquariumofpacific.org

kiwi 41 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-23-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Garage
My main memory from visiting Hawaii nearly 30 years ago was visiting Hanauma Bay

A friend was there last week and it was a highlight of her visit.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode