2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000F - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000F

I got an automated call this past week, from a nearby dealer, that they were going to have Suzuki demos on site for test rides. Since my chores were caught up and it wasn’t raining yet, I headed that way to see what fun lied ahead.

We’ve been getting rain almost every day for the past 45 or so days, so I was really hoping to get there and demo a bike before rain set in. As luck would have it, I got one ride in. Knowing that I might only go out once, I had to really debate which bike to ride.

My gut told me to ride the GSXR1000, because the hooligan in me told me it’d be the most thrilling. Did I mention that they had a full street and dual-sport lineup? I also debated riding one of the V-Stroms. After evaluating the field of choices, I concluded that the most appealing new Suzuki (to me) is the GSX-S1000F.

If you’re not familiar with it, it has the GSXR1000 motor (minus some trick goodies like slipper clutch, etc.) but still turns out about 140 rwhp. It also has traction control and an upright seating position, similar to the Ninja 1000. And it has decent wind protection, to boot.

I quickly remembered why I cancelled my motorcycle magazine subscriptions, stopped frequenting motorcycle dealerships, and try to not swap up with friends during rides. After owning 50+ motorcycles, I’m still passionate (a sucker?) for unique and exciting motorcycles. I could definitely see myself owning one of them. It’s well balanced, torquey, comfy, and FUN!

I’ve thought about the bike non-stop…it was a real hoot. Though I’ve ridden plenty of bikes in this HP range, and higher, it’s been a while. It reminds me of why I chose a path of riding, for roughly 40 of my 47 years of life. The late Marco Simoncelli summarized it well, as quoted “You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life.”

There’s a certain risk that comes with the territory (riding), and I certainly don’t promote people riding recklessly or over their skill level. That said, there’s little I’ve found in life that can compare to the excitement I’ve been able to experience on a motorcycle. The GSX-S1000F is a great example of a bike that brings excitement, for me, and does so in a comfy package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-Suzuki-GSX-S1000F-06.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	96337  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post
I got an automated call this past week, from a nearby dealer, that they were going to have Suzuki demos on site for test rides. Since my chores were caught up and it wasn’t raining yet, I headed that way to see what fun lied ahead.

We’ve been getting rain almost every day for the past 45 or so days, so I was really hoping to get there and demo a bike before rain set in. As luck would have it, I got one ride in. Knowing that I might only go out once, I had to really debate which bike to ride.

My gut told me to ride the GSXR1000, because the hooligan in me told me it’d be the most thrilling. Did I mention that they had a full street and dual-sport lineup? I also debated riding one of the V-Stroms. After evaluating the field of choices, I concluded that the most appealing new Suzuki (to me) is the GSX-S1000F.

If you’re not familiar with it, it has the GSXR1000 motor (minus some trick goodies like slipper clutch, etc.) but still turns out about 140 rwhp. It also has traction control and an upright seating position, similar to the Ninja 1000. And it has decent wind protection, to boot.

I quickly remembered why I cancelled my motorcycle magazine subscriptions, stopped frequenting motorcycle dealerships, and try to not swap up with friends during rides. After owning 50+ motorcycles, I’m still passionate (a sucker?) for unique and exciting motorcycles. I could definitely see myself owning one of them. It’s well balanced, torquey, comfy, and FUN!

I’ve thought about the bike non-stop…it was a real hoot. Though I’ve ridden plenty of bikes in this HP range, and higher, it’s been a while. It reminds me of why I chose a path of riding, for roughly 40 of my 47 years of life. The late Marco Simoncelli summarized it well, as quoted “You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life.”

There’s a certain risk that comes with the territory (riding), and I certainly don’t promote people riding recklessly or over their skill level. That said, there’s little I’ve found in life that can compare to the excitement I’ve been able to experience on a motorcycle. The GSX-S1000F is a great example of a bike that brings excitement, for me, and does so in a comfy package.
I'm like you.. I have owned several bikes over the decades, but really only been playing the street scene for the last 15 years or so. Im still more heavily into dirt than street. I have found, that with the bikes I have owned over the last 10 years or so, I have enjoyed the bikes more with a bit more HP. I find my itch scratched in the 100-120HP range best. Dont need 160 HP, not really moved with 70 hp. And while 15 HP can easily obtain the speed limit, for me its the increase in torque out of corners without the need to downshift as much, and that occasional rush of just saying screw it. My Duke scratches this itch well, when its running properly. Which seems like about 1 week out of 3.

I really like the looks of that Suzuki. I have not ridden one, but they sure look cool!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwoodard View Post

I don't get all carried away going fast in a straight line. What appeals to me about this one is light weight and an engine that doesn't need to be rev'd to high heaven to pull out of corners briskly.
OTOH, I've been absolutely spoiled with the slipper clutch on my V1k and can't imagine life without it anymore. It also has great ergonomics, potent engine, but it's overly tall for me stock (mine's lowered an inch). It also scrapes bits when getting spunky. I don't reckon that's an issue for the Suzi.
I've heard the suspension on the Suzi is both overly firm and easy to discombobulate when ridden quickly on less than perfect pavement. Surely, the aftermarket has options if this is too bad. Also heard the on/off throttle is crap. That's an issue that drives me crazy. Also not a big fan of the fixed windscreen or inability to carry things.
That said, if I lived in the mountains, I'd probably own one. As it is, it takes me a good ride to get to the fun stuff, so I'll forgo a little performance for a lot of practicality.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Agreed. On the street, we dont "need 160 HP". In fact, I've had a boat load of fun with my low (35-70) HP bikes...KLR650, SV650, Versys, SR500, etc. Often, it's just as much fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. That said, it's just plain exciting and exhilerating to feel/use HP! In a perfect world, I'd own many bikes-- variety is a spice of life. However, 1 or 2 in the stable is all I can justify with the limited use I get from them.

Will never forget riding a buddy's '04 ZX10. Though not currently the statistical best, it still has one of the best power to weight ratios to date ( 2004 ZX-10R Track Test - Motorcycle.com ). Anyway, it was one of the first stock bikes that I ever rode that would power wheelie (no clutch) at 100mph. Before that, th R1 and GSXR1000 were pretty close, but but this thing was/is a beast. Pretty amazing that <$10k would buy that type of performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I'm like you.. I have owned several bikes over the decades, but really only been playing the street scene for the last 15 years or so. Im still more heavily into dirt than street. I have found, that with the bikes I have owned over the last 10 years or so, I have enjoyed the bikes more with a bit more HP. I find my itch scratched in the 100-120HP range best. Dont need 160 HP, not really moved with 70 hp. And while 15 HP can easily obtain the speed limit, for me its the increase in torque out of corners without the need to downshift as much, and that occasional rush of just saying screw it. My Duke scratches this itch well, when its running properly. Which seems like about 1 week out of 3.

I really like the looks of that Suzuki. I have not ridden one, but they sure look cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode