Garmin Help! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garmin Help!

I have a Garmin GPS (for my vehicle) and it does not let me upload my route from my PC.

How can I find out which models of Garmin allow me to choose my route at home and upload that route into the Garmin. This damn thing tries to take me all kinds of out of the way places. I print google maps and use both.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Not sure what model you have I believe the gps's that are designed for cars don't allow you to upload routes. At least I can't on my Nuvi. However I solved the problem of the out of the way routes by setting the gps to truck instead of auto. This makes the gps think it's in a tractor trailer and keeps yup to main roads.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 PM

I have the Nuvi 265WT on my Versys. This does not allow "Routes" but you can upload waypoints from MapSource and create a "route" on the Nuvi itself using the fartherest point as the destination and then add the next fartherest to the closest as "via" points.

I've crossed the US this way last June and last week went North the same.

What you want to check is the "Avoidances" in the Navigation settings. I found that checking too many at once sent me in very strange routings; 300 mile trip instead of 100 mile.

The Garmin site has a features comparison page, routes lets you save and build routes, waypoints/favorites is just single points.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 PM

I don't know how you can find out but yours probably wont let you do your own routes. If you figure out a way around it let us know. I have a nuvi360 and I can only ad waypoints not routes
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 PM

I've only had one GPS and it's a Garmin Nuvi 1490T. So I don't know how applicable this is to anything else. I bought mine at Costco at what I seem to remember was a good price.

I can upload routes to it by mounting it to my computer. The trick (for me) is getting a route from a Google Map to the GPS. I tried using the RoadTrip tool but ... I guess I just didn't get it. Does anyone else use it?

So here's what I do (and though there are several steps, it's really easy):
  1. Create the route I want in Google Maps.
  2. Use the script at this link to create a GPX file (really easy to use).
  3. I typically edit this file so it has a good name between the <name></name> tags..
  4. I copy the file to the GPX directory on my GPS.
  5. I then use the GPS display to navigate to the My Data area and import the route.

Sometimes the GPS still does weird stuff with my route, but it mostly follows the route I plan pretty well.

Oh, and I often copy a link to my map somewhere so I can come back and edit it again.

Hope some of that helps.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 PM

Cap'n Kirk,

Do a search for "route planning" on the Garmin site. With the exception of the HomePort link and a link about WAAS, it retrieves the models that have the route upload capability. This presumes you want to stick with Garmin, though.

Whit
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=whit;111818This presumes you want to stick with Garmin, though.[/QUOTE]

At this point, all options are on the table. I am all ears!

Thanks for all the replies so far!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 AM

Maybe this will help. http://developer.garmin.com/web-devi...upport-matrix/ Any of the devices with an X in the Route column should do what you want.

One of the features I really like is being able to capture Tracks, which is only available on Zumo devices. This lets you map where you have been. I like to just wander and then see where I went.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 09-22-2010 at 05:48 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Maybe this will help. http://developer.garmin.com/web-devi...upport-matrix/ Any of the devices with an X in the Route column should do what you want.
That is a very interesting link. It indicates that they all support GPX files. OP, if your device is in that list, then there must be a way to get a GPX file on it, which means it'll do what you want (assuming I understand what you want ).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Zumo's allow you to upload custom routes... "dumb" Nuvi's do not. Nuvi's assume you want to go either the quickest way, or to avoid certain road types.

However Zumo's cost much more than Nuvi's generally speaking.

BTW.. my Zumo 660 fell off my moving bike (my error), Garmin is sending me an exchange free of charge. I pay only to ship mine back.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 AM

All I can say is I can upload any route I want to my dumb Nuvi.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
All I can say is I can upload any route I want to my dumb Nuvi.
You are probably correct, however if I am not mistaken, if you go off your custom route the Nuvi will not route you back to your custom route, but will try to get you to your destination that fastest way it can determine taking into account routes you want to avoid (highways, toll roads etc etc) ... but not back on to your custom route.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Actually, it'll always take me back to my custom route if I leave it for a restaurant, to explore, or whatever. I can even cancel the route and start it again and even if I'm in the middle of it, it'll do things like ask me if I want to navigate from the beginning or from where I am and then tell me how to get back on track.

I certainly don't know how the Zumo's do it, however, so there may be some significant things I'm missing with the Nuvi. And it may be that my Nuvi does things that others don't ... just no idea. But as far as routes go, there's nothing I've not been able to do so far, and I love being able to use Google Maps to plot any route I want, save it off, edit it again, share it, whatever. It even takes me through roads it doesn't know about (and Google does), so that works great too. Love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode