Advice On A New Laptop - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Advice On A New Laptop

There seems to be alot of tech savy members here. Replacing laptop looking for some suggestions.

The most i do on the computer is staying connected to the rest of the world as i'm usally not in one place too long. I'm going to start doing a lot of video editing with the HD GoPro i got and i have tons of photos and music.So its seems simple but i'm not much up on computers. Don't know anything about the Mac's but i'm open to all suggestions one big plus would be an Easy to use system.

p.s. price is not an issue i looking for good quality. been looking at alienware laptops but again i'm clueless on this subject

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-17-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
There seems to be alot of tech savy members here. Replacing laptop looking for some suggestions.

The most i do on the computer is staying connected to the rest of the world as i'm usally not in one place too long. I'm going to start doing a lot of video editing with the HD GoPro i got and i have tons of photos and music.So its seems simple but i'm not much up on computers. Don't know anything about the Mac's but i'm open to all suggestions one big plus would be an Easy to use system.

p.s. price is not an issue i looking for good quality. been looking at alienware laptops but again i'm clueless on this subject

Mac Book/Pro + Final Cut.
It's a plug-and-play solution.

Take a look at this.
http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-HowToChooseAMac.html
It's oriented towards photo/video professionals but still useful.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 AM

+1 Mac Book Pro. Comes with everything you need right out of the box.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
Mac Book/Pro + Final Cut.
It's a plug-and-play solution.

Take a look at this.
http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-HowToChooseAMac.html
It's oriented towards photo/video professionals but still useful.
+100.

Mac book pro all the way. Video editing is its forte.
Install a copy of Open Office on it, and you have all your spreadsheet, documents, and presentations covered as well.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
+1 Mac Book Pro. Comes with everything you need right out of the box.
Sort of.

It doesn't come with Final Cut. IMovie is not the robust editor it used to be.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
Sort of.

It doesn't come with Final Cut. IMovie is not the robust editor it used to be.
Agreed. My 4 year old MacBook Pro is still running excellent. The new ones are even that much better. As for hardware, Mac's can't be beat in the "easy" department. There are some great pc machines too, but if money isn't an issue, go with Mac.

IMovie is great for basic editing (cut, splice, transitions, titles and audio overlay). You can actually do a lot with iMovie if you know what you're doing. My guess, if you're not too up on what type of machine you need to get, is that iMovie should be fine for you.

If you choose final cut, I can almost guarantee you don't need Final Cut Pro. FCP is a favorite of amateur and pro videographers alike and is very intricate. If iMovie doesn't cut it for you, you'd probably be better served going with Final Cut Express. It's a much scaled down version of FCP and is still much more robust than iMovie. Either way though, with any good video editor there will be a learning curve involved.

Just Fyi, I've used FCP, FCE and 3 versions of iMovie.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 AM

Woo Hoo! Go Mac!!! Down with the DARK SIDE!

What say you, Healdem?

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 09-17-2010 at 10:21 AM.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 AM

I can't comment on Apple, because I have no experience with it. So I will speak to what I do know:

Don't buy Alienware.

My previous company bought 8 or 10 Alienware gaming laptops as 3D CAD workstation laptops. This is what the IT guy later told me: 1/4 of the laptops was Dead On Arrival, 1/2 had at least one serious problem in the first year of ownership and after 2 years all but 2 laptops had been replaced, because they had died or broken too often.

Many types of laptops are powerful enough to do the video editing that you want to do, just don't get a Netbook. Even though you will do video editing, I wouldn't go overboard on high-end CPU and amount of memory (2 GB should do), because that will very quickly drive up the cost.
What you do want to spend big on is a large hard drive, for all the photos and video.

Many video editing programs are optimized for the Intel CPU, although AMD CPUs will certainly be up to the task.

If you want to go for higher quality over money-saving, I like Lenovo as a brand.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Garage
I'm familiar with computer (main job as a technician for a few years, then setting up PC system for freind and relative)
First computer I bought was a Apple
Then entered the PC world and later the mainframe with IBM AS/400 OS

Now back to apple because I don't want to waist anytime trying to figure why I can't do this or that or ...

Can't say enough about Apple OS and all the goodies that come bundle with it

Did a DVD of a motorcycle trip for freinds with iMovie, then burned it on a DVD with iDVD and all it took is about 1/2 hour of making all this (a while longer to actually prepare de content to be burn, but this operation didn't require my action)

My freinds think that I've spent days on that sh*t and they want to invite me for a good lunch and beer because they are so astounded of the final result (just don't tell them please)

Apple is so much simpler
Bit more expensive, but when you factor all (free software, less time fiddling around for it to work and so on) you come out on top

This being said, you will have to make some small compromise (not all software work on Apple unless you use virtual os or Boot camp or others), but for what you have describe, it will do the job #1

Forgot about the prevalence of virus on PC ....

My 2 cent

LOP
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
I can't comment on Apple, because I have no experience with it. So I will speak to what I do know:

Don't buy Alienware.

My previous company bought 8 or 10 Alienware gaming laptops as 3D CAD workstation laptops. This is what the IT guy later told me: 1/4 of the laptops was Dead On Arrival, 1/2 had at least one serious problem in the first year of ownership and after 2 years all but 2 laptops had been replaced, because they had died or broken too often.

Many types of laptops are powerful enough to do the video editing that you want to do, just don't get a Netbook. Even though you will do video editing, I wouldn't go overboard on high-end CPU and amount of memory (2 GB should do), because that will very quickly drive up the cost.
What you do want to spend big on is a large hard drive, for all the photos and video.

Many video editing programs are optimized for the Intel CPU, although AMD CPUs will certainly be up to the task.

If you want to go for higher quality over money-saving, I like Lenovo as a brand.
I like Lenovo, we use them here at work. They are good workhorse workstations.
But I wouldn't recommend going cheap on the CPU or the RAM memory. Especially with the availability of cheap HD video cameras. Running editing software with low RAM and a slow CPU will be intolerable. And damn near impossible the first time you try to sync audio to video.

My advice to anyone buying a computer, buy as much RAM and CPU power you can. You will not regret it.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Once you go Mac you'll NEVER go back!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Guys for the help. I believe i see the light. After i get picked up from the airport when i get to texas I'll be Apple shopping.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Thank God you've made the right decision. I won't have to convince you.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 PM

Just don't fall for the....

"Luke...I'm your father"...routine

Stay away from the "Dark Side"

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This is what i've put together leaning toward the 15" due to the i7 processor and the SD Slot.

http://store.apple.com/us/cart
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 05:25 AM

We can't see your shopping cart.

But if you decided on MacBookPro:

Price not an issue:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Notebook.html

More reasonable (still a lot of money):

Most reasonable (will do everything the above ones will; slightly smaller):
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
[QUOTE=Ivan V;110908]We can't see your shopping cart.

Sorry about that. This might work.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTc0Njg1ODE

If not it was the 15'' with 8GB ram 500GB hard drive @7200rpm hi-res screen i-works,final cut 4, microsoft office for mac and a remote.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 AM

You were not kidding when you said price is not an issue.

God speed then.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
You were not kidding when you said price is not an issue.

God speed then.

Yea i was alittle suprised also but if it works the way i'm hoping it'll be money well spent. Its not a final decision just want to make sure i'm heading in the right direction. The microsoft office will be nice because of the excel program. If any of this is overkill please let me know. Not looking to compete with Steven Spielberg but i do want to be able to put together some good videos and photos and some office use when necessary. My current laptop got a virus at work in texas had to trash everything and my boss installed the new software programs but here in puerto rico it keeps asking for the product key which i didn't recorded. so i can only get on the internet with the computer other than that its useless.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 PM

I really, really think it's an overkill.
I can guarantee that your'r not going to be using all of that computer.

Think of it as getting a Hayabusa for your local commute and some twisty roads on fair-weather weekends.
Sure it will work and you'll get where you are going really fast but do you need it?
And if you are after pure performance and stability get a stationary MacPro.

What I'm saying is to get a cheep and cheerful do-it-all computer. Get a Versys.

I know it's an American why, but you don't necessarily need to pay for software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode