Off topic but motorcycle related. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Off topic but motorcycle related.

This guy has traveled the World on his KLR & taken some amazing selfies................check it out;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=VTlXttQL_Yk

Then he went out & bought a drone for even more amazing selfies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=biLP4KAHxEk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Drone

Quad copter

Don't buy into the media BS.

I started flying in 1983, and quads are the single thing that is going to ruin this hobby for all of us....and it already has for many.

=off soap box=

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
Drone

Quad copter

I started flying in 1983, and quads are the single thing that is going to ruin this hobby for all of us....and it already has for many.

=off soap box=

Well that escalated ridiculously quickly..
I knew what he meant, don't get to wrapped up in terminology.

I sub out some of my work to a small crew that flies my landfills with a copter and gets survey info accurate to 2 cm..It does it all by GPS.. they get it in the air, and the gps takes over and flies a perfect pre selected grid over the 20 acres or so ..pretty cool..

Anywhoo.. Cool Video Find Wheels, i'd love to be able to travel like that someday.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Drone

Quad copter

=off soap box=
noun
1. the male of the honeybee and other bees, stingless and making no honey.
2. an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond line of sight:
the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
(loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely:
a radio-controlled drone.

3. a person who lives on the labor of others; parasitic loafer.
4. a drudge.
kohburn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:49 PM

I don't understand this thread. What hobby is going to be hurt by what?

I've not been narcissistic enough to do selfies. I have ridden motorcycles and taken pictures.

Really, this all seems fine. A fellow rides his motorcycle around. He takes pictures. That seems like a good thing to me, and having him ride around and take pictures seems unlikely to hurt anyone else. His use of a flying machine to get pictures may eventually lead to laws that must be obeyed, but that is the nature of things and won't ruin anyone.

I've been really looking forward to seeing a quad or something like that here so that I can see whether I can hit it with a shotgun.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
noun
1. the male of the honeybee and other bees, stingless and making no honey.
2. an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously, without human control or beyond line of sight:
the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
(loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely:
a radio-controlled drone.

3. a person who lives on the labor of others; parasitic loafer.
4. a drudge.
do the letters FO mean anything to you.....

Name that movie.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster404 View Post

I've not been narcissistic enough to do selfies. I have ridden motorcycles and taken pictures.

Really, this all seems fine. A fellow rides his motorcycle around. He takes pictures. That seems like a good thing to me, and having him ride around and take pictures seems unlikely to hurt anyone else. His use of a flying machine to get pictures may eventually lead to laws that must be obeyed, but that is the nature of things and won't ruin anyone.

I've been really looking forward to seeing a quad or something like that here so that I can see whether I can hit it with a shotgun.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I asked a simply question. I get this? What is wrong with you?

I don't see anything getting ruined.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I asked a simply question. I get this? What is wrong with you?

I don't see anything getting ruined.
I'll try to answer with the extremely small amount I know.. My Brother Flies, and I can go a bit by what he says.

In the old days, there were planes and Copters.. Planes required skils acquired to fly, copters even more so.. Now there are cheap ready made quad copters, that are much more stable, much easier to fly and as such many more folks are getting them. It is leading to increases in regulations and community no fly zones etc as towns and such try to find a way to deal with the latest craze of folks flying something over people and places taking video.. Invasion of privacy complaints etc.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

I like the camera angle and perspective to the scenes. I don't think it's narcissistic, I think it has less to do with the guy in the video, and more about the scenes you see around him. I think it's neat, certainly nothing I have the capability of.

Drone, helicopter, etc., it's going to get called a drone by virtue of the fact that is flies, is run remotely, and has a camera. Much like the term KLEENEX.

Ok, now I want one.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Really, this all seems fine. A fellow rides his motorcycle around. He takes pictures. That seems like a good thing to me.
You'll get used to those with a short attention span coupled with OCD on here, just flit past their inane ramblings & eventually you'll find some logical posts!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
I like the camera angle and perspective to the scenes. I don't think it's narcissistic, I think it has less to do with the guy in the video, and more about the scenes you see around him. I think it's neat, certainly nothing I have the capability of.
I'm glad you like the videos my friend because l posted them for yourself & other bikers to enjoy!!!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:07 AM

Garage
for things called by the wrong terms (ala kleenex, drones), see also

Jet Skis
Bubble Wrap
Zambonies
Chapstick
Qtips
Scotch tape

I do get the 'they're ruining our sport'. I've been friends with guys in the RC plane/helicopter world, and they really do take their hobbies seriously. Part of that may come from the cost, but they also have always been sensitive to the fact what they're doing is unregulated and they take steps to avoid impacting other people.

Now you have idiots that can buy a nice quadcopter for $200+ and they fly them by airports, use them to spy on neighbors or people at beaches and don't take safety seriously. That might be 1/100 'quadcopter' owners, but its enough when you've had a million of them sold that people start talking about regulating, licensing and limiting what you can do with them.

That being said, there are some awesome uses for quadcopters, whether they are drones (autonomous) or remotely controlled. I just wish idiots wouldn't ruin things for everyone else.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

OMG, yet another one with a short attention span............Does someone want to start a thread on DRONES & KLEENEX for the OCD sufferers????????
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBVersys001 View Post
. I just wish idiots wouldn't ruin things for everyone else.
You said it dude.......................................
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I'll try to answer with the extremely small amount I know.. My Brother Flies, and I can go a bit by what he says.

In the old days, there were planes and Copters.. Planes required skils acquired to fly, copters even more so.. Now there are cheap ready made quad copters, that are much more stable, much easier to fly and as such many more folks are getting them. It is leading to increases in regulations and community no fly zones etc as towns and such try to find a way to deal with the latest craze of folks flying something over people and places taking video.. Invasion of privacy complaints etc.
To expand a little more on this....

Like ron said, in the old days it took you quite some time to fly...you started with an instructor...he was tied to your radio with a system called a buddy box....they are still used today....if things get crazy the instructor can flip a switch and take over your plane. It would also take you all winter to build the plane, and if you crashed light, a few days to weeks to rebuild....and if you "re kitted" it (crashed hard) you are out a great deal of money, effort and time. As a result of this you had people that flew that really knew what they are doing, valued their models very highly and would not risk them. If talking about a heli take this X10.

Today I know people that are flying quads that can't fly....if you turn off the GPS they have no clue how to get the quad back. Add to this there is no buy in anymore, you are not spending hours and hours learning to fly, and months in building something....it has no real value outside the few hundred $$ you spend to buy the thing....so people do stupid things with them.

Now add the FPV or cameras in general (they are different) and you get people with no investment in what they have flying in places they should not trying to get a video of the nude sunbather in her back yard....or flying off buildings in a downtown area....or flying around full scale aircraft.

Because these people have no investment in this hobby, they really don't care...and now we get laws about having to register and all this, when for the past 40+ years we have had zero issues....and those issues are created by these jack wagons that just don't care about the hobby....it is a fad to them.

So guberments do what guberments do....they go after the items and not the jack wagon that is actually doing something wrong....and as a result they punish all the people that have done things correctly for decades....and those that actually cause the problems....nothing for them, they will not comply or they will just quit playing with their toys.....this is what I mean by ruin of the hobby.

It is so stupid that my 40" wingspan P-51 is the same in the guberments eyes as a DJI Phantom...I actually have an F4 Phantom as well so I don't want to get that confused.

Hope that clears things up.

I want to add....

I don't want to come across as anti quad...I am not, I own 3 of them...and a few more in boxes not built.....and I enjoy the current crop of ARF/foam planes on the market....they are just great planes.....it is this RTF with zero training that is the issue....add to that they will actually fly all by the GPS and that is a real issue.

What really shocks me is that no one has used one of these things for a terror attack....I think it is coming...program it 10 miles away and let it go....and that will be the end of the hobby....I am shocked things are still the way they are with the quad issue involving Merkel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-5MDqGGon8

All that was needed on that quad was some kind of small bomb or bio agent and it is all over....and my hobby, something that I have spent over 30 years doing will be no more....and I will have idiots that don't care about it one bit to thank for it.

Last edited by fpgt72; 06-23-2016 at 07:46 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
You said it dude.......................................
And it goes for everything....take it to bikes.

Everyone that rides a bike gets a black eye after they see the squid doing a wheelie down the interstate at triple digit speeds...or zooming in and out of traffic in flip flops shorts and a t-shirt....

or how about a entire group of them blocking in another car dragging the guy out of the car and knocking the ever living out of him.....

or a bunch of bikers at a place to eat and a fight gets started and bullets start flying....

everyone of these have happened in the last 8 months....and you know in the public eyes all motorcycle riders are the same....I know places where motorcycles are not welcome....on roads...you can't ride there....they will call police on you.

Now do you think the actions of those few should lead to you having to every year register your bike, pay an extra tax, take a test again....just put you through whatever hoops they can think of.....and you know the people that actually cause the issues are going to do nothing....and you the law abiding citizen are left holding the bag.

It is the exact same thing.

And right now our guberment is trying to do the same thing with guns.....no matter what side you are on, there are so many holes in any guberments actions where stuff like this goes it just will not work and only punish the law abiding.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM

if its self piloted then its a drone - if its manually flown then its an rc plane/copter/quadcopter

no real semantics involved.

I really would like to have one of the video chase drones that follow your RF transmitter. I like to get photos and videos of things to remember and rarely have someone else that takes a picture of me being part of it.

its not about a "selfie" to show off to the world so much as to remember, "I was here doing this".
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I enjoy watching drone/4 blade copters (call 'em WTF u want to!) videos & they take me to place I couldn't normally get to:

And for drone haters in a country where any fool can buy a gun, tell me how much of a threat to society this next video is..........
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:04 PM

Really any fool can get a gun in any country....just ask the Germans...and how restrictive are their gun laws?

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
I enjoy watching drone/4 blade copters (call 'em WTF u want to!) videos & they take me to place I couldn't normally get to:

And for drone haters in a country where any fool can buy a gun, tell me how much of a threat to society this next video is..........

Awesome find on those vids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode