Good Price On A Radar Detector - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I’m not at all familiar with this particular model but all of the cheap units that I have researched (and this is the cheapest one that I’ve ever seen) are worse than useless because they don’t work worth a damn and just provide a false sense of security.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I’m not at all familiar with this particular model but all of the cheap units that I have researched (and this is the cheapest one that I’ve ever seen) are worse than useless because they don’t work worth a damn and just provide a false sense of security.
For that price its worth a shot and if it works once at the right time it paid for itself.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
For that price its worth a shot and if it works once at the right time it paid for itself.
ABSOLUTELY (and respectfully...) I have to disagree with you. If it lulls you into the wrong state of mind regarding radar threats it WILL end up costing you big time!
I use a Valentine1 (one of the best and most $) in my car, but I find MOST of the threats by judicious use of my Mark 1 eyeballs. YRMV.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
ABSOLUTELY (and respectfully...) I have to disagree with you. If it lulls you into the wrong state of mind regarding radar threats it WILL end up costing you big time!
I use a Valentine1 (one of the best and most $) in my car, but I find MOST of the threats by judicious use of my Mark 1 eyeballs. YRMV.
Look i've found in the past using a radar detector keeps my speeds down even if its false alarms it makes me more aware of the speeds i'm doing.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 AM

+1 on the Valentine1

Yeah, it’s a bit pricey but so are tickets and insurance surcharges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Versys-028.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	8451  

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Look i've found in the past using a radar detector keeps my speeds down even if its false alarms it makes me more aware of the speeds i'm doing.
Hey, that gives me an idea for a new product...

A GPS that’s aware of the speed limits that would tell you to slow down like the “Bitchin’ Betty” warning system that’s used in fighter planes.

On a takeoff from the old FuzzBuster radar detectors it could be called, “The BallBuster” with genuine ”Nagging Nancy” voice.

Options could include a remote speaker so it would sound like it was coming from the back seat...

I can hear it now <in a real whinny screeching voice> “Slow down!! You always drive too fast!! My mother told me you were no good...”

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 AM

Distraction... IMO

The V is about 350cc too small and missing two cylinders to get in any real trouble. Radar detectors were great ten years ago, before almost EVERY police agency was using laser units.

Last time I used one was the last time I got a ticket... yup... it detected it... lol

My car is substancially faster than the V and I use my cop-scouting skills via the eyeballs when I drive it.

The price is good though!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

A GPS that’s aware of the speed limits that would tell you to slow down like the “Bitchin’ Betty” warning system that’s used in fighter planes.

On a takeoff from the old FuzzBuster radar detectors it could be called, “The BallBuster” with genuine ”Nagging Nancy” voice.

Options could include a remote speaker so it would sound like it was coming from the back seat...

I can hear it now <in a real whinny screeching voice> “Slow down!! You always drive too fast!! My mother told me you were no good...”

Hahaha!! I think you're on to something!!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Theres no need to buy one if your married its built in.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
The V is about 350cc too small and missing two cylinders to get in any real trouble. Radar detectors were great ten years ago, before almost EVERY police agency was using laser units. ...

My car is substancially faster than the V and I use my cop-scouting skills via the eyeballs when I drive it.
Perhaps that’s true where & how you ride it but on `my’ roads the posted limit is usually around 30-45 MPH and that’s about 20-25 MPH below what’s reasonable & safe for a competent rider on a bike — and 25 MPH over the limit is where it switches from being a traffic infraction to a misdemeanor.

Also, in my area (of NYS) 99% of the cops use Radar. I run across about 1 or 2 Laser units a year (and the Valentine has saved me from at least one of those too) — besides the fact that with Laser you can `beat the cop to the draw’ because he has to aim & pull the trigger and that process doesn’t start until you are both within line-of-sight. If you come around a corner into a broadcasting Radar unit, your eyeballs just give you enough warning to pull over & take your license out...

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
TWICE I've got the laser warning on my Valentine1 when the policeman "hit" the car ahead of me and I got 'scatter' thru his windows.
Also, the 'arrows' and 'strength meter' helped me on a high-speed run some years ago when there was a moving radar behind me and another moving one up front, (all 3 of us going the same direction!) and the V1 kept telling me that the front one was the danger, so I was REALLY looking! Saw his cruiser so I cut my overtake to near the limit, still getting a WEAK source, but HIGH danger in front from the V1 when suddenly it lit up like Christmas - he had a gun firing back thru his rear window TOO! I figure my V1 has saved me MANY $$$$.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Perhaps that’s true where & how you ride it but on `my’ roads the posted limit is usually around 30-45 MPH and that’s about 20-25 MPH below what’s reasonable & safe for a competent rider on a bike — and 25 MPH over the limit is where it switches from being a traffic infraction to a misdemeanor.
This is understandable.... I too have been on some 25-35 mph twisties that we we may or may not have been doing double that on...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:07 PM

I've never owned a radar detector and never will.

I return to my usual advice here. If you want to go fast get a track day, otherwise, you'll probably get tickets, or worse, get yourself dead.

I'd as soon not have to mourn any more brothers than necessary. There's already been way too many.

Sorry for the thread-kill

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I haven't used a radar detector since 1989 had a great K-40 unit in my car. I usally catch grief for the expensive things i post. So i thought i'd throw out something cheap. "There I Go Thinking Again"
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I haven't used a radar detector since 1989 had a great K-40 unit in my car. I usally catch grief for the expensive things i post. So i thought i'd throw out something cheap. "There I Go Thinking Again"

Don't take it personal. You know how fickle forum board members can be...

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post

Your right i forgot.

Heres the one i like and it might make my list since my list is almost complete. I've been ordering everything i can think of here in puerto rico and having it sent to my brothers house. His wife said if i get any more packages she wants to start charging me storage.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006UHR9G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0XBBA1KSZPYK6J572563&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post

Fickle Folks with Fancy Farkles
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
Fickle Folks with Fancy Farkles

Say that 5 times fast!!

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Not sure what happens in states but have a good friend who is a cop and when he was a country cop with a 4wd cop wagon he would take me and family up hunting in it on his days off but would let us play with the radar to try to lock speeders, what he does is keep the unit off until fast vehicle comes into view and we would quickly grab the remote, turn on and lock, my son scored the highest points passing it to him in the back. Because he was off duty he just let them carry on but did say that if we got one 40km/hr above limit he would have to do something but the deal was we would ignore bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode