Indian? Maybe... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

3Likes
  • 1 Post By toaster404
  • 1 Post By ronheater70
  • 1 Post By fpgt72

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Indian? Maybe...

Yesterday it was nice here, and I ate my lunch sitting in my office and had about 45 minutes to go, so for exactly no particular reason I rode the Versys down to the Indian/ Victory Dealership here in Greensboro.
Spent about 1/2 hour in there talking with some folks.. Became very interested in a new Indian Scout.. Harley like, but with Liquid Cooling, 100 HP and a very retro look that I like, especially with the Tan seat.
Reviews on it seem extremely positive from what I looked at on you tube. I don't think I would trade the V for one, but could see having one! I'm not a cruiser guy in general but this is one I think would be enjoyable! Anyone else look in the Indian direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like lndian curries!!!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:31 PM

Position is impossible for my back. Excellent engine. The Chieftain is better handling, but a heavy bike. Lovely engine. Just looked at them today. Will stick with my Guzzi and Becky's Versys
1stversys likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I will own an Indian one day. I am not an early adopter. They are improving manufacturing and quality as they progress.

The Scout is a little small in stature for the riding I currently do, but it is plenty powerful and nimble. Just got an email from Indian today mentioning the latest incentives.

Take a test ride on one and see what you like about it.

BTW: There are several liquid cooled Harleys in the model lineup.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 06:19 PM

Garage
Also, if you like your Versys, like Kawasaki, take a look at the Vulcan S. Same sporty engine, decent suspension, and cruiser ergonomics.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 06:24 PM

Garage
I looked at the Indian Scout on Tuesday of this week. I went there to look at a used Victory Gunner they had on the floor, but ... as soon as I swung a leg over the Scout, I was sold. I will own one someday, hopefully soon.

Mel

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=
BTW: There are several liquid cooled Harleys in the model lineup.[/QUOTE]

Yup, but not at the price point or style of the Scout!

I think it is an extremely comfy bike, I say that having only sat on it, but I did get an invitation to ride it. I may go back and try it out.

My main gripe against cruisers is they are heavy and slow.. Well with 100 HP and relatively light weight (for an 1100 cc cruiser) and a 9K redline, it takes thinks up a notch I think.. Again for that price point.

I know the Vulcan is available but I already moan about the power of my Versys in certain situations, so I dont see that being any better. I'm not even in the Market for a cruiser, however now I;m thinking, I could do that.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:04 AM

Actually when I went to pickup my Versys (a leftover 14 on the other side of the state) they where giving demo rides on them that weekend.....the dealership was just insane....but having just bought a bike I got the the front of the line.

That is not my style of bike, but I can see why people like them....and really my riding style seems to fit that cruiser stereotype....If left to my own devices I am 10mph under the speedlimit and just looking at stuff. The roads I ride on just do not fit with a bike like that....they really don't fit the versys.

I found them heavy but something I could see just motoring around all day on...good torque....you can start the thing in 3rd gear I would bet....slow down for a red light....it changes you are going 10mph and just roll on the throttle and it pulls away....very tractor like, and in that way reminded me of my old DR.

I will still go out of my way to bash hardly ableson riders however....because well that is just so much fun.....but in the end I really could care less....unless you are on a Can Am Spyder....that is not a motorcycle.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
Actually when I went to pickup my Versys (a leftover 14 on the other side of the state) they where giving demo rides on them that weekend.....the dealership was just insane....but having just bought a bike I got the the front of the line.

That is not my style of bike, but I can see why people like them....and really my riding style seems to fit that cruiser stereotype....If left to my own devices I am 10mph under the speedlimit and just looking at stuff. The roads I ride on just do not fit with a bike like that....they really don't fit the versys.

I found them heavy but something I could see just motoring around all day on...good torque....you can start the thing in 3rd gear I would bet....slow down for a red light....it changes you are going 10mph and just roll on the throttle and it pulls away....very tractor like, and in that way reminded me of my old DR.

I will still go out of my way to bash hardly ableson riders however....because well that is just so much fun.....but in the end I really could care less....unless you are on a Can Am Spyder....that is not a motorcycle.
Cruising around 10 mph below the speed limit? You are a Harley Rider! You just don't own one. LOL!

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Cruising around 10 mph below the speed limit? You are a Harley Rider! You just don't own one. LOL!
I agree....

Really I just have zero interest in going fast.

Went on a DS ride a few years ago...forest service roads and all that jazz. I just rode along and looked at the world pass by...so many people just flew past me as fast as they could go....man how can you see anything that way.

Riding to me is that same thing....that is why when I go on a trip it is planned to spend as much time on "unimproved roads" as possible....the world is just so much more interesting....and I want to see it.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 02:00 PM

Garage
If you are cruising 10 below the limit and looking around at things off the roadway while around cars, you are relying on them to do the right thing all the time. You have increased your risk of a wreck from the guy turning left in front of you, or running into the back of you because he is distracted, etc.

Now, if you are on empty roads doing this, then you are only at an increased risk of riding off the road or an animal surprise.

Car drivers shouldn't be doing what you describe, nevermind motorcyclists.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:20 PM

Garage
I think he means he's taking the time to enjoy the scenery, as opposed to going fast enough to have to focus 100% on that. I like both, sometimes I push it and enjoy the ride, and whenever I'm with my wife, I let her lead and so I have PLENTY of time to enjoy the scenery

Those Indians sure are nice, as are the Victory cruisers. Though I really enjoy Indian's more nostalgic approach with the tan seats and such, I too would play that waiting game for them to be out longer, when did they come back, 2008? Their prices are a wee high, so I hash them with HD, a lot of money, for nothing special of a bike. That Scout looks nice, but for nearly $12k, you get a basic naked bike that's 1130ccs. It is pretty, but its a city bike. I like the look of those Victories too, and those are 106cc. Still pricey for me though, maybe I'm just a cheapo!

I just left the cruiser world, had a 09 Yamaha Vstar 950 Tourer. Not much of the get up and go feeling, but pulling off of stops and lights on hills, it had more grunt, I could just slowly release the clutch and move. Way more comfortable to sit on too. But hey, I was tired of scraping with every turn. Haven't scraped the Versys once yet
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:17 PM

Garage
Polaris bought the name, and put out the latest incarnation of Indians as MY2014. So, they are only 3 model years in, but leveraging their work with Victory.

Prior to that they were custom made super expensive motorcycles.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, I took a Ride on a left over 2015 this weekend..A scout.. I Have to say I loved it.
Extremely comfortable, both in ride and Ergos.
Wonderful Engine.. Pulled Everywhere..I know it has 100 HP on Paper, but that doesnt tell the tale. It can chug away at under 2K and pull hard to redline at 9ish and just not fall off much anywhere.. It's a Gem.
Fit me very well..
Complaints range from limited rear suspension travel, slightly notchy shifting. The big arse tires have a nice nostalgic look to them, But they were stiff and didnt have a good feel to them at all..
I would own one..

BUT I also had a go on an Africa Twin this weekend.. As I want another more adventure oriented bike at the moment I will lean that direction, BUT I will certainly have the Inidan at the front of any list for cruiser oriented lustings!
MrSchaeferPants likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If you are cruising 10 below the limit and looking around at things off the roadway while around cars, you are relying on them to do the right thing all the time. You have increased your risk of a wreck from the guy turning left in front of you, or running into the back of you because he is distracted, etc.

Now, if you are on empty roads doing this, then you are only at an increased risk of riding off the road or an animal surprise.

Car drivers shouldn't be doing what you describe, nevermind motorcyclists.
You took my comment to the extreme.

My point is some people ride a bike to get a rush out of it....you know flipflops and wheelie down the road at triple digit speeds.

Me I like to just ride along, and see the world.....I am not in town, I have more tractors to dodge then cars....and more deer then anything else...I like to smell the cut grass, not so much the dead animals, but you are out in the world....that is why I ride a bike...to be in the world not on it.

hopefully it clears it up....if not I really don't give a f___
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post

Me I like to just ride along, and see the world.....I am not in town, I have more tractors to dodge then cars....and more deer then anything else...I like to smell the cut grass, not so much the dead animals, but you are out in the world....that is why I ride a bike...to be in the world not on it.
Nothing wrong with that style at all, I do the same thing more often than not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode