Earth Quake in New Zealand - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Earth Quake in New Zealand

Earth Quake in New Zealand Hope all is well. I know we have some members there.
Please chime in if you can New Zealanders!

Donn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Phil?? You guys ok???

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Yep biggest i have ever felt, woke us up around 4.30am and went on for a minute , was centred about 100 miles north of me, fastomans daughter who is studying in Christchurch city texted us about 5.30am to see if we were alright but no damage here, she was only about 20-30 miles from centre of quake and ChCh central is shut down with a lot of damage to brick buildings as well as ruptured sewer etc.

The quake was felt the lenght of NZ I suppose we do live on the edge of the pacific ring of fire!

The funny story from our house is that our nearly 17 year old son had sneaked out and put the pillow under his bed so when I went to get him up during the quake he was gone, had been cruising in his mates car so he came home not long after that and is now grounded even his mates txtd him and said he going to get busted becuase everyones up.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Christchurch has been declared a state of emergency but no lives lost (that I know of)and because we area first world nation we have very good and efficient emergency services.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
djg

Heard it on the news and thought of you.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 PM

I read something about potential tsunami wave...Hope it doesn't come to that.
Earthquakes are nasty enough.
Best of luck to you down there.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

No waves just a lot of bricks, biggest quake since 1931
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

good to hear your ok, hope all is well.

Donn
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
From what I heard form my Daughter in CHC all are fine , but for some property damage.

Kiwi41 has confirmed that all is well on his side this morning.

No power and water told to conserve-CHC.

Hope all will return to normal soon.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
The funny story from our house is that our nearly 17 year old son had sneaked out and put the pillow under his bed so when I went to get him up during the quake he was gone, had been cruising in his mates car so he came home not long after that and is now grounded even his mates txtd him and said he going to get busted because everyones up.
I think that is most unfair

It is not his fault he got busted.

Come on Dad - lighten up a little

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 PM

Garage
Did the bikes fall over?

How did the V survive the shake?

Did it fall over?

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 PM

That is too funny about your son Kiwi! I can just imagine him thinking about all the different things that could have got him caught...and that was it. Take it easy on him...reminds me a lot of my youth. (Once had a police officer told me I was going to jail, told him that he couldn't arrest me and that I was needed by the military. Got away with it, but with a $300+ ticket.)

Hope everyone is alright over there and glad to hear that no one died.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Yep V survived, my house is only 3 years old and very well built.

My son is not happy but he is a good lad and even with him trying to act like he not impressed he is grounded he knows he has disappointed us and caught him smiling a couple of times (we have joked it took a major quake to find him out and he also admitted he did it last fri night), he even hinted about going to movies tonight and he would pay but my wife was quick to say no, I thought a free ticket to movies by my son was great but maybe next time. The truth by his age i was long gone from home and we have had a lot of serious issues with his older brother and we do not want to go down that road again, the younger one has just put his application into the navy and we do not want him to stuff it up.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 AM

Good to here you are all ok, we felt it it here in Nelson NZ, though I know it was nothing compared to Christchurch. We are lucky that most our modern buildings are built to cope with earth quakes, dread to think what it will be like when the 2 fault lines erupt by us!!!!
Take Care Everyone.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:42 AM

Phil,Glad to hear you, family and the "Land of the long white cloud" V bikers are A-OK.

Cheers, Everyone have a pint!

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
good to hear your ok, hope all is well.

Donn
Thank's for the concern all, From the news, the quake was 10 km deep and was a dance between pacific and australian plates and was a 5 metre movement. A lot of older buildings in the garden city Christchurh have been affected. Unfortunately for Christchurch gale force winds and rain have been forcasted to hit soon effect clean up operations. Only two people in intensive care in hostpital so far that i last heard so they are getting away very lightly if you consider the force of the quake.
Yep Steven did not have a pint but had a couple of red wines tonight as took my wife out for a meal
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Thank's for the concern all, From the news, the quake was 10 km deep and was a dance between pacific and australian plates and was a 5 metre movement. A lot of older buildings in the garden city Christchurh have been affected. Unfortunately for Christchurch gale force winds and rain have been forcasted to hit soon effect clean up operations. Only two people in intensive care in hostpital so far that i last heard so they are getting away very lightly if you consider the force of the quake.
Yep Steven did not have a pint but had a couple of red wines tonight as took my wife out for a meal
Thanks God all are fine and hope the 2 in Hospital heel well soon.

Amen.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Some pictures of NZ earthquake.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Glad everyone's ok Phil!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Great all the support on the forum, good to have people concerned, even fasto girl texting us at 5.30am to make sure we were alright, her university has shut down for the week because of all the damage to Christchurch, she is fine and has been emailing us and if she needed a place to stay she can stay with us but her building is all good. It amazes me that the same intensity as Haiti but no loss of life yet but as the clip that fasto posted we have good buildings, sparse population and great emergency response, our services would be as good as any where in the world and the army is on stand by if required.

A big thumbs up to our prime minster John Key who visited Christchurch same day and will make resources available from central govt, he said he knew when it happened as his sister texted him who lives there and when a reporter ask what his first response was he said it rhymed with truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode