Carb running too rich?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Carb running too rich??

So I recently traded my V off for a KLX250 private party. Decided I would bring the KLX to the dealership I bought the V from for a oil change and have them rejet the carb.
Is that where I messed up? Is that not a proper way to ask for service? The bike didn't seam to have any torque or power at low to mid rpm. I wanted them to check out the carb in case that was the issue.
Dropped the bike off at the dealership at 7:30AM and they said they would check it out in the morning. I said no worries I work until 5 so just have it done by them. I get a call at 4:15 saying "we don't have a jet kit for this bike, do you want us to order the part and hold the bike for you? or should we put your bike back together?" I said put the thing back together, I'm riding this tomorrow (had a weekend camping trip planned and it was friday already). So they begin putting my bike back together and I go to the dealership at 5 when I'm off work. Bike was not finished and I waited until 6 to leave the god forsaken place.
The mechanic said my 'fuel' smelled funny. So he proceeded to drain my gas tank and put new fuel in there.
Also my bike runs worse! I twist the throttle 50% and let go and the bike maintains the RPM for a brief moment and gradually works back down to idle. That's another thing, bike no longer idles without dying. I have adjusted the idle speed to make it not die and it's at 3000 rpm.
This dealership has forever lost my business. Am I overreacting? What's the best way for me to proceed from here? I'm livid...

Oh, and bike was finally done at 6pm. I get charged for 2.5 hrs labor and the cost of the oil change. With their supposed 'discount' I still paid $150

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Wait a minute. You paid for them to take the bike apart, but they had no jet kit, then paid for them to put the bike back together and it runs like crap now and you wonder if you are overreacting?

Did you ask them to rejet the carb, or did you ask them to service the carb?

If rejet, then they should have got the jet kit in before performing any work.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
time to get a lawyer and go to small claims court

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:53 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I find that a petrol bomb usually gives satisfaction when dealing with incompetent tw*ts!!!!!
silviefox and 1stversys like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Wait a minute. You paid for them to take the bike apart, but they had no jet kit, then paid for them to put the bike back together and it runs like crap now and you wonder if you are overreacting?

Did you ask them to rejet the carb, or did you ask them to service the carb?

If rejet, then they should have got the jet kit in before performing any work.
Ok that's what I was thinking as well. I asked them to REJET the carb, not service. So yes it boiled down to they took the bike apart just for sh*ts n' grins

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
time to get a lawyer and go to small claims court
If only that were worth it..

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:31 AM

Jetting is a science, but it is not Rocket science..I have been jetting bikes since I was a teenager.. Once you find out how the individual jets affect a certain area of throttle,it gets pretty simple. But remember it is trial and error, sometimes youll need to pull the carb multiple times to get it dialed correctly. make Subtle changes, nothing too big.
First I would complain to the dealer that you got a bike returned to you in poor running condition and see if you can get some of your money back, second, I would do it myself. Jet kits are pretty self explanatory, and if not, there are probably a few of us here that can talk you through it. Proper jetting is crucial to the performance and longevity of any bike, but it is even more so on smaller bore bikes it seems.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Jetting is a science, but it is not Rocket science..I have been jetting bikes since I was a teenager.. Once you find out how the individual jets affect a certain area of throttle,it gets pretty simple. But remember it is trial and error, sometimes youll need to pull the carb multiple times to get it dialed correctly. make Subtle changes, nothing too big.
First I would complain to the dealer that you got a bike returned to you in poor running condition and see if you can get some of your money back, second, I would do it myself. Jet kits are pretty self explanatory, and if not, there are probably a few of us here that can talk you through it. Proper jetting is crucial to the performance and longevity of any bike, but it is even more so on smaller bore bikes it seems.
Thanks Ron. I am going to talk to the dealer about a partial refund. I am going to do all further servicing myself. I want to learn how to do everything myself and I figured jetting the carb could be tedious work. I'll keep everyone posted on what I do and how the whole carb process works itself out. In the mean time the bikes on the stand in the garage..

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
If only that were worth it..
well you could end up with a new bike due to them ****ing yours up..... just the threat will normally do alota good. they took your bike in, did NOT do the work you hired them to do, then damaged your bike and charged you for it

to me worth it

yes im a guy.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Ron. I am going to talk to the dealer about a partial refund. I am going to do all further servicing myself. I want to learn how to do everything myself and I figured jetting the carb could be tedious work. I'll keep everyone posted on what I do and how the whole carb process works itself out. In the mean time the bikes on the stand in the garage..
jetting is really easy, hardest part is just getting the carb off... after that just pop off the bowl on the bottom (most of the time its just 4 screws) then the jets just unthread, make sure you have a flat head screw driver that fits them best you can they are made of brass and can be stripped very easily

yes im a guy.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was too young whenever my dad worked on the honda 80 and yamaha pw80 so I never retained what he was teaching me. I'm researching all the different forums and material out there pertaining to carb rework and I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. Can't do any more harm than they already have.
Only problem is the dealership has close ties with my job and I don't want to "stir the waters".

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I was too young whenever my dad worked on the honda 80 and yamaha pw80 so I never retained what he was teaching me. I'm researching all the different forums and material out there pertaining to carb rework and I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. Can't do any more harm than they already have.
Only problem is the dealership has close ties with my job and I don't want to "stir the waters".
Also, start with a fresh spark plug.. learn to read it after you make jetting changes. Once you get beyond the seat of the pants feel, a spark plug can really help you learn whats going on. You want a nice even brown color if you can, white, you are running lean, dark, you are rich etc.. You'll do fine.. Just chime in if you have questions and someone here will help you out.
1stversys likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
And when you're "reading" plugs, you run it at a constant rpm and throttle, pull in the clutch and KILL the engine, come to a stop, then remove and READ your plug.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
And when you're "reading" plugs, you run it at a constant rpm and throttle, pull in the clutch and KILL the engine, come to a stop, then remove and READ your plug.
Gotcha.. guess it'll boil down to a lot of trial and error. It's been monsoon season here in southern IL so I haven't gotten out to ride yet so nows the perfect time to work on her

Last edited by 1stversys; 05-12-2016 at 03:47 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If the dealer doesn't make good on their screw-up call Corporate ......Kawasaki Motors Corporation USA  
Corporate Campus
Address: 9950 Jeronimo Rd, Irvine, CA 92618
Phone949) 770-0400
Hours: Open today · 10AM–7PM
Website
Directions

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 06:44 PM

The was nothing wrong with the bike except for a dirty carb. That carb is as simple as a hammer. Find a youtube video and clean it yourself.

The bike doesn't need to be rejetted either. You can fatten up the midrange by putting a #4 washer under the needle and opening up the idle mixture a little (under the aluminum plug).
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You dealer did nothing wrong, and you got off very easy at only $150 for removing, dismantling, cleaning, reassembling and reinstalling carburator, beside the oil and filter change including oil and filter! You got them going with your requested maintenance and work, but then you only screwed yourself due to a lack of knowledge and patience, not to mention piss off your good dealer with your whining.

Quote:
Also my bike runs worse! I twist the throttle 50% and let go and the bike maintains the RPM for a brief moment and gradually works back down to idle. That's another thing, bike no longer idles without dying. I have adjusted the idle speed to make it not die and it's at 3000 rpm.
That is normal as your stock lean jetted KLX250 is breaking in... You just need to remove the brass seal covering your pilot fuel circuit adjustment screw on bottom of carb, to be able to open the screw more than factory setting.

You can see where it is in this thread, and you can replace your stock screw with one that is easily adjustable. Brass plug can be carefully removed by drilling into it with a small bit.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...l-screw-11268/

Also, make sure your air filter is not dried out. It should be properly oiled, besides clean.

It's jetted lean on idle and low speed, and top end is too rich... For best response and performance improvement, just get a DynoJet kit which comes with titanium fuel metering needle of optimum diameter and taper, along with a selection of larger pilot fuel jets and smaller main jets

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/789...k-and-dynojet/

https://www.jcmotors.com/dynojet-sta...-09-10-15337-p

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2152.pdf

http://www.dynojet.com/graphs/Kawasa...250SFGraph.jpg
1stversys likes this.

Last edited by invader; 05-16-2016 at 12:37 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You dealer did nothing wrong, and you got off very easy at only $150 for removing, dismantling, cleaning, reassembling and reinstalling carburator, beside the oil and filter change including oil and filter! You got them going with your requested maintenance and work, but then you only screwed yourself due to a lack of knowledge and patience, not to mention piss off your good dealer with your whining.

That is normal as your stock lean jetted KLX250 is breaking in... You just need to remove the brass seal covering your pilot fuel circuit adjustment screw on bottom of carb, to be able to open the screw more than factory setting.

You can see where it is in this thread, and you can replace your stock screw with one that is easily adjustable. Brass plug can be carefully removed by drilling into it with a small bit.

fuel screw - Kawasaki Forums

Also, make sure your air filter is not dried out. It should be properly oiled, besides clean.

It's jetted lean on idle and low speed, and top end is too rich... For best response and performance improvement, just get a DynoJet kit which comes with titanium fuel metering needle of optimum diameter and taper, along with a selection of larger pilot fuel jets and smaller main jets

Kawasaki 2009 KLX stock and Dynojet - KLX/KLR 125/140/250/300 - ThumperTalk

https://www.jcmotors.com/dynojet-sta...-09-10-15337-p

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2152.pdf

http://www.dynojet.com/graphs/Kawasa...250SFGraph.jpg

Thank you for the informational links and advice. I never complained to the dealership in regards to my 'lack of knowledge'. I scheduled the service. Left my bike. And picked it up at the end of the day. I did all my whining and complaining on the internet before making an ass of myself and doin so to the dealership. I may lack knowledge, but I'm not totally incompetent.
The T-screw replacement for the fuel screw. Is that only beneficial when I will be changing altitudes? Or does that just make it easier to adjust jetting without taking the carb all the way off?

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@invader
How's this link look for me doing the work to the stock carb?
CV Carb Tuning Procedures

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That link isn't bad... Your main problem is easily addressed by removing brass access plug on bottom of carb to add fuel to your pilot circuit by opening adjustment screw. Start by noting its position and how much of a turn is needed to close it (carefully to avoid damaging screw or seat).

The Dynojet kit can then save you from the guess work, with included instructions and jet size recommendations. The included metering needle is the kit's best upgrade, yielding much improvement mostly in the mid-range. It also includes smaller main fuel jets and larger pilot fuel jets for various states of tune, exhaust and airbox mods, elevation above sea level, etc.

Last edited by invader; 05-16-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode