A lesson to be learned: crash caught on camera - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Gigitt
  • 1 Post By dmann
  • 1 Post By Bug Dr.
  • 1 Post By ray h
  • 1 Post By Stud Muffin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A lesson to be learned: crash caught on camera

I've been a rider for a long time, but a year ago I took a motorcycle safety class. They said the number one cause of motorcycle fatalities was from taking corners too fast. The video I'm posting is a reminder of that. The person riding in the video lived, but I'd call it a miracle.

Rubber side down.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
wasn't fast... he just did not take that corner... he was upright and sitting shallow too late on that bend, he did not position himself properly for a blind corner, being too shallow and no where to go but run wide and straight when he saw that truck. just take a look at how he was cornering - cutting corners like that - gambling on a blind corner!

He was lucky.

Would not get that kind of eregency response here in Australia!!!
2 fire EMT's and 2 helis in record time.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

My father taught me to slow down before going over a blind hill or a blind corner, because honestly there could be any number of things happening in your own lane that you are not prepared for once you get to the other side. Would he have driven this way at night with a light that only illuminated 15 feet in front of him? How do you position yourself for a blind corner? I'd say you approach it with caution. Some motorcycle accidents are very easily preventable by the rider.

If he wanted to drive fast, he should have done so where he was:

1. Not on a public road
2. In a place where he had proper visibility

What he did would be reckless driving where I'm from and his cornering technique wouldn't change that. What if he didn't hit that truck but instead hit another motorcycle or a pack of bicycles? This is a public road and not a racetrack.
3dog likes this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Yes - wise words... always ride slower when you cannot see the road.
Expect the unexpected.

corners you start wide so you can see further through them before you tip in... he did neither.

blind corners you don't see as far so you generally ride these slower.

problem is when cutting corners like that you dont set yourself up for the next.... bad technique and poor attitude to safety of other road users.

we get a lot of dumbasses like that here on sports bike motards and even cruisers.
there are some great roads spoilt by inconsiderate arshats that like to ride over the center line and hang on your side through blind corners.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 AM

Garage
Looked like a classic case of target fixation to me. The truck spooked him while going around the corner and he looked it in. Looks like the front end twitches from what I'd guess is heavy breaking. He shouldn't be breaking at all at that stage of the corner. That makes me think he was startled by the truck.

I've seen videos of folks riding in a straight line veering over and smacking a truck head-on that looked like target fixation too. You have to train yourself to NOT look at certain things while riding or you will run them over/into them.

Glad he lived.
Mike
ronheater70 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 07:13 AM

I would say the truck spooked him and he locked the front brake.
He got used to using the center of the road, he went into the blind corner thinking he was going to keep using the center of the road but there was a truck there this time. He freaked out, fixated on the truck and instead of leaning more jammed the brake and that's all she wrote. He should've leaned hard and followed his eyes around the turn instead of following them into the truck.
On a side note, the driver of the truck was eerily quick with the horn, he must have been driving with his hand on the cable. Maybe the first bike was using a lot of the road as well.
ronheater70 likes this.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL

Last edited by ray h; 05-10-2016 at 07:18 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Wow, that sucks...
turn8a likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Have been on that road many times. Its a 2 lane road that people treat as if its a one way road. Always cars or motorcycles in your lane on a turn. Lots & lots of bicyclist are on that road also. People go there instead of a race track then wind up hurt or dead...

Heres that same section of road. Filmed from a V-Rod guy that thought the Versys couldn't keep up with him. If you noticed i had to stop and wait for him 2 times before we caught the group and hit black ice on the road that day......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy5o...OBKdMD156SMik8

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Up till the crash happened, I thought that the road was a one-way road - I don't remember seeing any center-line anywhere.

STARTLED hell out of me when he crashed...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode