Ferrari ??? But Which One??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

5Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Cheftyler
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Cheftyler
  • 1 Post By fpgt72

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Ferrari ??? But Which One???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0RbyvQ8xMg
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I agree with your last statement in the vid. A co-worker buddy of mine bought one of those. I had an RX-8 at the time. The RX was hands down the best handling car I'd ever driven. About as much fun as you can have on 4 wheels IMHO. Anyway, I got to drive the Ferrari. It is such a tiny cockpit that you need special shoes. I always wore western boots to work and the soles rubbed together operating the clutch and brake pedals.
The Ferrari did have an AWESOME sounding engine. As I recall, the rotary Wankel in my RX weighed about 90 lbs. It had no low end power, but came alive at higher revs. The Ferrari had balls everywhere.
I imagine putting that old 70s engine in an RX would be about like putting a big twin Harley engine in a Versys frame. In both cases, it would surely sound really great, but handle like a pig.
On a side note. While having lunch at biker stop out in the country, a guy was doing rolling burn outs out front in this unbelievable sounding Mazda Miata. He eventually pulled in and opened the hood. He said he hired some racing mechanics out at Mid Ohio to shoehorn a Corvette L6 engine. Not sure it made a lick of sense as the damn thing was so powerful, the tires couldn't hook up to propel it. Apparently, it was amusement enough for him to make giant plumes of blue smoke everywhere he visited.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I agree with your last statement in the vid. A co-worker buddy of mine bought one of those. I had an RX-8 at the time. The RX was hands down the best handling car I'd ever driven. About as much fun as you can have on 4 wheels IMHO. Anyway, I got to drive the Ferrari. It is such a tiny cockpit that you need special shoes. I always wore western boots to work and the soles rubbed together operating the clutch and brake pedals.
The Ferrari did have an AWESOME sounding engine. As I recall, the rotary Wankel in my RX weighed about 90 lbs. It had no low end power, but came alive at higher revs. The Ferrari had balls everywhere.
I imagine putting that old 70s engine in an RX would be about like putting a big twin Harley engine in a Versys frame. In both cases, it would surely sound really great, but handle like a pig.
On a side note. While having lunch at biker stop out in the country, a guy was doing rolling burn outs out front in this unbelievable sounding Mazda Miata. He eventually pulled in and opened the hood. He said he hired some racing mechanics out at Mid Ohio to shoehorn a Corvette L6 engine. Not sure it made a lick of sense as the damn thing was so powerful, the tires couldn't hook up to propel it. Apparently, it was amusement enough for him to make giant plumes of blue smoke everywhere he visited.

I like and admire old cars. Had plenty of them. But i like a car to drive not work on.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Dino GT.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
Dino GT.

Yea i had to google it. First time i've seen one of those in person.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Fiat Dino, '74 I think, later called a Ferrari.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 12:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yea i had to google it. First time i've seen one of those in person.
Not surprising, they're definitely not common.
weljo2001 likes this.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Had to sit through an ad to watch your video. I guess the Vlogging is paying off.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Had to sit through an ad to watch your video. I guess the Vlogging is paying off.

Good...I'll be needing a new set of tires soon..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Not surprising, they're definitely not common.
For a long time they got treated as a red headed step child....now they are getting some attn....by now I mean in the last 10 years or so.

I remember reading the classified ad's (at one time children we looked at this messy paper to find things we wanted to buy...and it only covered our town) and I saw one for sale for $3,000....this had to be 1980-ish. Thinking man I should buy that thing....but being a poor college student I could not swing it. Also found a Pantera for $5k. Sigh.

Issue with the car is they got looked down on for so long they really did not get the care they needed....many are pretty crusty underneath.

I was looking at a 308 GTB (think Magnum PI...crap just dated myself again) and after much search gave up....it was another car (at the time) that just did not get the respect it needed. An OK example could be had under $20k but an OK example will need another $20K put into it....and just not give what you want.

Now I think I am going to pass on something like this....too many cell phone driving ya-hoo's out there....that is why I ride a bike.

oh wait.......

nevermind.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
For a long time they got treated as a red headed step child....now they are getting some attn....by now I mean in the last 10 years or so.

I remember reading the classified ad's (at one time children we looked at this messy paper to find things we wanted to buy...and it only covered our town) and I saw one for sale for $3,000....this had to be 1980-ish. Thinking man I should buy that thing....but being a poor college student I could not swing it. Also found a Pantera for $5k. Sigh.

Issue with the car is they got looked down on for so long they really did not get the care they needed....many are pretty crusty underneath.

I was looking at a 308 GTB (think Magnum PI...crap just dated myself again) and after much search gave up....it was another car (at the time) that just did not get the respect it needed. An OK example could be had under $20k but an OK example will need another $20K put into it....and just not give what you want.

Now I think I am going to pass on something like this....too many cell phone driving ya-hoo's out there....that is why I ride a bike.

oh wait.......

nevermind.
I used to read the Star, too, but alas no more.
There are a pair of pristine Dinos here in Denver, I will have to see if I can dig up a picture or two from events I was working with them in attendance.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:44 AM

Garage

Sadly, best shot I have.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Sadly, best shot I have.

Love the color of the one up front.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I used to read the Star, too, but alas no more.
There are a pair of pristine Dinos here in Denver, I will have to see if I can dig up a picture or two from events I was working with them in attendance.
Remember we had two....the Star and the Times....not sure when the times died.

I did come across an old paper....dated 1969 Men landed on the Moon....it with a bunch of stuff my mother saved....I want to say it was the times.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Remember we had two....the Star and the Times....not sure when the times died.

I did come across an old paper....dated 1969 Men landed on the Moon....it with a bunch of stuff my mother saved....I want to say it was the times.
I can't remember anything other than the Star, but I'm not that old
weljo2001 likes this.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I can't remember anything other than the Star, but I'm not that old
Get off my lawn.
weljo2001 likes this.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Get off my lawn.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
...I remember reading the classified ad's (at one time children we looked at this messy paper to find things we wanted to buy...and it only covered our town) and I saw one for sale for $3,000....this had to be 1980-ish. Thinking man I should buy that thing....but being a poor college student I could not swing it....
IF I'm remembering correctly - I saw something in either Car and Driver, AUTOMOBILE, or Road&Track where a Dino sold at auction for MORE than $1,000,000 recently....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode