The wait is over...it happened - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The wait is over...it happened

Well I dropped my bike tonight. Scratched the bar end, and bent the clutch lever some. It was all my fault. Like a fool I tried to dismount without putting the side stand down, and got my foot caught on the tail bag. Down she went. It pretty much slid down my body into the dirt and gravel. But now that it's out of the way, no need to worry about it anymore. I hope every one gets a good laugh from this. I know my wife and I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 PM

What no video? At least now you can enjoy it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:31 PM

Too bad 865GreenV. It's a terrible feeling when it's happening. Sounds like you're keeping it in perspective. At least you weren't moving

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM

I dropped mine too... so embarrasing.. I was lucky I had the givi bags on... they took the brunt of the fall.. and the bar end.. otherwise no damage... I was parked on a sidehill and was used to my cruiser with a very low center of gravity. I got on... straightened up and she started to lean and before I knew it she was over. Fortunately the bike is light and I was able to pick it up and drive home. If my cruiser ever went over I'd be calling for help. Just some scrapes on the givi hard bag and scrapes on the bar end.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Everyone keeps saying you need to get a bike drop out of the way, you guys make me nervous as still waiting after 12 months. Glad you have a sense of homour about it and my wife would probably laugh at me to as I have teased her the last 12 months for droping her bike 3 times.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 AM

Don't worry about it! It's always good to get that first scratch, dent, or drop out of the way. It's the bike (and yours) commencment into manhood...or some such nonsense.

Kiwi, I haven't done it with this bike either....kinda nervous about it. Maybe I should just go kick it over and be done with it!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 AM

I did my drop three bikes ago. Didn't even put the kickstand down & walked away.....Crash Learned from it and haven't since. Now I pay attention to angle, stand, orientation & give it a little shake each time I park.

Glad you didn't do more damage.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 AM

Could do it the KLR way!

Do it like a experienced KLR rider. Buy your new KLR, dealer has it in the parking lot in front of the dealership waiting for you to pick it up; walk up to it, kick it over , then pick it up and ride off.

P.S., I'm a former KLR rider with over 130,000 miles under my belt , and I've also 'spin-dropped' my V

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 AM

I almost dropped mine once. In the garage moving it. My foot slipped and it started going down - I couldnt save it it just kept going... until it came to rest on my daughter's mountain bike. The mountain bike kickstand snapped off half way up... The versys ended up resting on the mountain bike with half a kickstand. No damage!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM

dropped mine a month ago...and i was standing right next to it!!!!! seems i have a faulty kickstand...and thats the story im sticking with!!!!...1k in damage...ouch!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
When I bought my first bike back in 1994, a Suzuki GS500E, I drove it home from the dealer on a Friday night Memorial Day weekend. Parked in the garage and went to bed dreaming of my ride the next day.
Morning came and I pulled the bike into the driveway which has a slight downhill grade. Knowing the GS needs about 5-10 minutes to warm up I started the bike and let it run while I geared up...well you might have guessed what happened. Nooby mistake, with the bike in neutral facing downhill it slowly rolled forward and flipped the kickstand up...from about 20 feet away I watched my brand new bike fall onto the concrete....

My neighbor was outside and helped me pick it up. He, a seasoned rider and motor cop, told me it happens to everyone....now the real kicker. Aside from a few scratches, the clutch lever was badly bent and broken...the bike was unusable.... so much for my weekend. I scoured every motorcycle shop to find a clutch lever. Finally found a hole in the wall place that had one for an older model in black (mine was silver). Who cares I was back in business.
So I hope that was my one and only drop.....

Don't feel bad happens to everyone.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
IS dropping the bike a ritual or some kind of act to get rid of bad luck.

I haven't dropped it yet and trust will not,.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
IS dropping the bike a ritual or some kind of act to get rid of bad luck.

I haven't dropped it yet and trust will not,.
...well, they say that there are 2 kinds of riders, those who have dropped there bike & those who havent...yet.

take it as u want...got mine out of the way at least!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the support guys. Thinking about it made me laugh on my ride to work this morning.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 PM

I put my bike down once. No I did not drop, I was holding it while it was going down. So there was not a scratch on it. This is how it happened. Over a year ago now going up my drive way which happens to be longer and steeper than most. I pull the front breaks a little to hard, the sudden stop made we lean right and backwards. When I tried to put my leg down I pulled and teared my hamstring badly. As you all that practice sports know the pain was too much so I had to put the bike down. With a teared hamstring I had to get the bike up get on it backit onto a flat surface to stabilize it and ride it into the garage. The worse part, I was walking with a cane and could not ride for about a month.

Yes it happened to everyone.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 865GreenV View Post
Well I dropped my bike ... I tried to dismount without putting the side stand down,...

I hope every one gets a good laugh from this. I know my wife and I did.
Welcome to the `Oh S**t! I canít believe I did that!í club. We have a lot of members

PS Good attitude

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Welcome to the `Oh S**t! I canít believe I did that!í club. We have a lot of members

PS Good attitude
Do you have to join the club as I would rather not
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Do you have to join the club as I would rather not
`Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.í

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 AM

I can't count how many dirt bikes I have had but every one of them has been crashed, dumped, and dropped. Never gave it a second thought.

If I drop the Versys though I'm sure there will be tears. Right after all the swearing.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
`Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.í
Okay will accept the borg will get me sometime, have also dumped,crashed many dirt bikes but never a road bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode