Stone Age Motorcycle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Biz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Stone Age Motorcycle

I offered to fix my friend's Harley 1200 Sportster yesterday... align the steering by resetting all the pinch bolts, re-attach one exhaust to the motor (both nuts missing), and locktite the footpegs in. I think all these thing were the result of the violent engine shaking the Harley delivers in spades. But I digress, this is not the point of my story... upon completion he was so glad to have all things corrected, and wanted me to test ride it. Good Lord. I think my dad's old 1930's Allis Chalmers garden tractor had more manners. Laying this bike though turns was like turning a battleship. Footpegs and foot brake were ergonomically awful. The violent shaking during operation and the noise with those aftermarket pipes... hey I appreciate the fact people enjoy diversity when riding, but honestly, this thing is nearly dangerous to control. I recently came off of a Yamaha V-Star cruiser, and it handled 100X better than this heavy tub. I so appreciate my Versys even more now, and how it feels like an extension of me when carving through curves... not a bucking rodeo bull running its own course. What an eye opener. How do people pay good money for those things?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
More importantly, did you wear your bandana and have a chain on your wallet?
Stoley likes this.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
How do people pay good money for those things?
I went down to Tenn with a few work buds one year. One of them had a pre-rubber mounted Sportster. We switched and I rode his a little way down a twisty road and he rode my ZXR1200.
After about 3 turns, my knuckles were white. I have no idea how even even rode the POS down there. He too was a little surprised by how nice modern bikes are, but had too much pride than admit that Sportster was an awful mistake.
Later, I rented a rubber mounted 883 in Alaska. The wife and I tooled along the low speed backroads quite comfortably on it. It was equipped with one of their better aftermarket seats. The standard size front tire, seat, and rubber mounting transformed that bike.
This year, Harley even went so far as to put a comfy seats and top of their line suspensions on their new Sportsters. With their low easy maintenance, low seat height, and grunty little engine, I'd actually consider a new one for a little round towner.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Harley , hardly a good choose in ride if you ask me... over weight , over priced and built to fail (literally)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Biz

Exactly, it practically took my entire body to throw this thing to turn. I too had white knuckles on the first when it didn't move off a straight line, LOL! I see the whole 'lifestyle' bit as the magnet for a lot of these folks. Dressing up like pirates must be more important than riding a bike that performs like a rodeo bull.
Stoley likes this.

Last edited by Biz; 04-24-2016 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
the worst part of the whole deal is those guys think they have something in those bikes...a clown I know who rides one said "it makes me feel American"..god what a boob...he won't ride it over 65 because he has no screen and he says it's like a wrestling match over 65...he bought a Buell for some dumb reason (it's collectible) too...smh
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:50 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
the worst part of the whole deal is those guys think they have something in those bikes...a clown I know who rides one said "it makes me feel American"..god what a boob...he won't ride it over 65 because he has no screen and he says it's like a wrestling match over 65...he bought a Buell for some dumb reason (it's collectible) too...smh
to people who say a harley is collectible needs to be told that so are stamps, there both as common but one looks alot better and is reasonably priced

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
More importantly, did you wear your bandana and have a chain on your wallet?
Also did you wear the half a helmet and no protective gear
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 PM

Garage
Well, I am enjoying the hell out of my '16 road glide ultra.

It is one nice touring bike.

I agree though that the older Harleys leave a lot to be desired. Never thought I would own one, but now that I do, I really appreciate the fit and finish compared to my Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager. Sure, it is overpriced. But so are Lexus, and Acura, and BMW, and Cadillac, and Ducati, and Aprillia, and Indian, and Victory, and Polaris, and Apple, etc.

Of course I got a screaming deal on my bike. Came out to $6500 off MSRP, plus 5 year Extended Warranty for $1.

ronheater70 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As someone very insightfully said, Harley Davidson doesn't sell motorcycles, it sells a lifestyle. Someone else with even more insight noted that H-D proudly brings 1940s technology to the 21st century. But, they're apparently doing something right - there seem to be plenty of Harleys on the road. To each his - or her - own, eh?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:57 PM

Garage
And that lifestyle includes not wearing any protective gear at all on "motorcycles" that shake themselves to death, don't go around corners, fall down without the riders command to do so and have little performance given the motor capacity but as you said to each his own.
silviefox likes this.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
And that lifestyle includes not wearing any protective gear at all on "motorcycles" that shake themselves to death, don't go around corners, fall down without the riders command to do so and have little performance given the motor capacity but as you said to each his own.
Yah - but do they EVER make "neat" tee-shirts...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 05:47 AM

Garage
The ones with the riders blood all over them because he failed to ATGATT?
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
I could say these thing of Kawasaki if I want to live in the 1970s.

It is funny that the majority of haters in this thread probably can't afford one anyway so it really doesn't matter what you think.

I have traveled this great nation, and the majority of folks out there racking up the miles are on Harley touring bikes.
ronheater70 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Man I don't know, but I ride with several Harley Riders, a few Goldwings, and 3 Beemers as part of a Church group. Beemers seem to be the most unreliable, the Harleys and GoldWings just rack up the miles,and I mean MAJOR miles. I think one of the gold wings is nearing 160,000 miles or so, and I know personally 2 Harleys in our group are over the 100,000 mile mark with nothing other than routine maintenance. It's just a personal preference, One of those Harley guys could get on my Versys and not like the rough ride and buzzy motor, I dunno. I would not Hesitate at all to Buy a huge ass Harley if my riding style was served by such a bike. I Certainly would buy one of those before any of the ****ty copy cat Jap offerings of similar style.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
The ones with the riders blood all over them because he failed to ATGATT?
Hell it's not a HArlye thing, its a stupid society in general thing, I see so many squids in tshirts, shorts and sandals its scary.. Honestly about the only people I see in ATGATT on a regular basis is adventure riders, maybe we are just smarter?
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I could say these thing of Kawasaki if I want to live in the 1970s.

It is funny that the majority of haters in this thread probably can't afford one anyway so it really doesn't matter what you think.

I have traveled this great nation, and the majority of folks out there racking up the miles are on Harley touring bikes.
I really don't get the whole shake yourself to death thing everyone talks about.. They Shake at Idle, but once underway, most are silky smooth,Considerably less Vibey/ Buzzy/ Shakey than my Versys. Seem to Handle pretty well to me as well for a large heavy bike, I suspect if you don't know how to ride well you would find the weight intimidating.
turn8a and twowheeladdict like this.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I really don't get the whole shake yourself to death thing everyone talks about.. They Shake at Idle, but once underway, most are silky smooth,Considerably less Vibey/ Buzzy/ Shakey than my Versys. Seem to Handle pretty well to me as well for a large heavy bike, I suspect if you don't know how to ride well you would find the weight intimidating.
You forget that most do everything they can to make them run worse, be as loud as possible....so they can make their statement. You also now know why they ride 20mph under the speed limit.

They are also a very thin skinned bunch, quick to lash out with well you can't afford it, or you are not a real american, or well your bike made 40 years ago is on par with my new hardly ableson.

It is the attitude of them that really ticks me off. As well as the wealth of mis-information they spew from their holes.

Any motorcycle is really if you get down to it a toy, a statement, sure you might justify it to your wife as it uses so much less gas then your minivan....but you are making a statement.

ADV riders look like a rolling traffic cone, there is a real practical reason behind that.....someone tell me just how your dew rag is going to do something for you after that 17yr old girl pulls out while she is texting her BFF.

I don't have anything against HD....their riders are pretty much idiots....or they lie to themselves.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
You forget that most do everything they can to make them run worse, be as loud as possible....so they can make their statement. You also now know why they ride 20mph under the speed limit.

They are also a very thin skinned bunch, quick to lash out with well you can't afford it, or you are not a real american, or well your bike made 40 years ago is on par with my new hardly ableson.

It is the attitude of them that really ticks me off. As well as the wealth of mis-information they spew from their holes.

Any motorcycle is really if you get down to it a toy, a statement, sure you might justify it to your wife as it uses so much less gas then your minivan....but you are making a statement.

ADV riders look like a rolling traffic cone, there is a real practical reason behind that.....someone tell me just how your dew rag is going to do something for you after that 17yr old girl pulls out while she is texting her BFF.

I don't have anything against HD....their riders are pretty much idiots....or they lie to themselves.
Lots of truth there...TO me, I just dont like the idea of Not wearing a full face helmet for the simple fact , I see all the bugs splattered on my shield.. Gross!L

The group I ride with are part of our church group, we all joke with one another, jap bikes suck, Harleys are for fat old people, etc.. But that it it's all just jokes. In the end, Im the only jap bike (when Im riding the Versys) in the group although some Euros are in there.. It's always a good time. Interesting though, I am the only one who ever rides atgatt, the Beemers at least have full faced helmets.
My Helmet is Bright Green, and White, I have two Jackets, A high vis Yellow, and a Bright red.. I really dont care how goofy I look, I want to be seen. With Harleys, its black, Everything is black..Not the best scenario for making yourself visible to the masses.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 03:50 PM

Wink

A lot of guys with money thought they could change their persona and become part of the new and improved elite Harley nation, only to find out it's not what they thought it would be like. A good friend who has had about every type of bike since he was 14 just bought a 2008 Road King from one of those guys with, get this....................... 1,100 miles on it.

I've known another 3 guys who wet their pants and bailed with less than 500 miles on their new HD's, only 1 of which did go to something a lot smarter. Can you imagine taking a 2 day MC safety course and becoming a 12 hour expert on a 250cc, then going out and trying to ride a 1,500cc.

I attached a picture of Biff on his way to the country club to meet Buffy to play a round of golf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HD with suit on.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	88618  

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode