Trading off the Versys....? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Trading off the Versys....?

The thought is crossing my mind more and more. I'm going to look at a 2012 Kawasaki KLX250S this weekend. Private party. They are offering me $2,500 cash + trade for my 2014 Versys. It's very tempting. Just nervous that a 250 is going to feel so tiny compared to the Versys...

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
It is going to feel nimble compared to the Versys.

I rode my 2012 KLX250S on the Pacific Coast Highway from Ventura to Monterey. Also did a loop up in the mountains. Had a blast.

The only time it felt lacking was at 10,000 feet near Cloudcroft, NM.

The trade sounds fair if condition and mileage is in your favor.

Different bikes for different purposes. The KLX gets hauled in the back of the truck and ridden no more than 300 miles in a day. The Versys has been ridden to and in over 20 states. Several 600 to 800 mile days.

I did switch out the seat for a Sargent.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:13 PM

I traded a Yamaha XT250 to get my '09 Versys. I got tired of riding it at the top of the rpm's to do 65-70ish. Love my Versys but I wish I still had both bikes.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
I traded a Yamaha XT250 to get my '09 Versys. I got tired of riding it at the top of the rpm's to do 65-70ish. Love my Versys but I wish I still had both bikes.

For Sale: 2007 Suzuki DR650 well equipped / DFW $3,600 firm - TWT Forums

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Simple solution - keep the Versys and buy the KLX. When I bought mine I kept my Honda Rebel 250 to ride with the wife when she rides her Yamaha 250. When she asked why I had not sold the Rebel, I just told her it would keep me from accidentally riding away from her and losing her in traffic.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
The thought is crossing my mind more and more. I'm going to look at a 2012 Kawasaki KLX250S this weekend. Private party. They are offering me $2,500 cash + trade for my 2014 Versys. It's very tempting. Just nervous that a 250 is going to feel so tiny compared to the Versys...
It will!

Binderline
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 AM

I have a drz400sm fun bike it the twisties. But if I had to get rid of a bike it would be the drz instead of the versys.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:52 AM
ggg

KLX 250 are gutty less even compared to a enduro 250 but to a versys a whole another level again.

still tho it has wheels and will get most places
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:06 AM

Unless I missed it, you don't really mention your intended riding parameters. The versys is a good all around bike, not the best at anything but pretty well sorted out.
Take the power difference out of the equation because that is a known variable and something you realistically have already considered in getting the KLX. So Common sense tells us the KLX is lightweight, and will do significantly better than a versys on forest service roads, single track, and other off-road scenarios. The Versys cannot compete with the KLX in those scenarios. IF you want to make a 50 mile trip to some trail heads, then ride them, and ride home afterwards all on the same bike, then the KLX is for you. If however you dont see yoursef doing that very often, then maybe keeping the versys in the stable is sound choice. Only you know what you want to do with a bike, and what duties you expect it to perform on a regular basis. I have read reports on the little KLX and people generally like them very well, provided their expectations are in check.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:06 AM

If my butt likes the Africa Twin the Versys is out the door....if it does not, then a GS is likely in my future....nothing wrong with moving on as your tastes change.

I still ride and love my XT225, and it is a great county highway (55mph) bike with a simple sprocket change. 6 gears and it just putters down the road no trouble at all....feels like riding a mountain bike I love it. I rode sub 650 bikes till I got my DR650 (about 30 years) and anyone that says they can't get on the highway and move along at 10mph above the posted speed limit with not a care in the world is full of it. Check out any of the books by Lois Pryce, she has ridden across Africa, from Alaska to the tip of Argentina all on sub 250cc motorcycles, for people to say it is at the top of its RPM range is pure mis-information. I know people that commute every day on the highway from the 'burbs in hot-lanta (thats Atlanta) on these old school XT225, air cooled and never have a problem....plus they just wheel them into the warehouse downtown and there is no worry about the bike getting stolen or paying for parking.

I freely admit I love little bikes and little cars, I have two sub 1L cars, and it is really different riding and driving smaller machines, you move around a great deal more....and at times you just have to settle in and enjoy the ride.....that is what it is all about anyway.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Last edited by fpgt72; 04-13-2016 at 07:09 AM.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Simple solution - keep the Versys and buy the KLX. When I bought mine I kept my Honda Rebel 250 to ride with the wife when she rides her Yamaha 250. When she asked why I had not sold the Rebel, I just told her it would keep me from accidentally riding away from her and losing her in traffic.
In 1984 a few years out of high school I bought my first new bike, an ex school honda rebel at the honda shop in Lawrence KS. I still have that bike, I have not ridden it in years however....it does not do well on the gravel and rudded up chip n' seal roads I now live on, but I do keep it tagged and insured....and generally ride it about once a year for the past 17-18 years. I ran service calls all over kansas city on that bike, put over 30k miles on it in the first 5 years....all running around the loop on kansas city at highway speeds with bags full of tools and boxes strapped to the back behind me. I collected mileage reimbursement on my service calls and got 80mpg per gal. I only drove the car in the winter or if it was raining. Button down shirt and a tie, and all the other gear. Made enough to buy my first toy car with the mileage money. I think I still have that old bike for nothing else then the memories. Never an issue where I needed more power even with an extra 40lbs of tools on the bike....I might have wanted more but I did not need it.

Think back to the "good ole days" it was not till the displacement wars started in the 70's did bikes start to grow in size....back then a 650 was a big bike, and now the 650's make much more power on lighter and better frames and susp setups.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
If my butt likes the Africa Twin the Versys is out the door....if it does not, then a GS is likely in my future....nothing wrong with moving on as your tastes change.
Not to hijack, but have you checked out the new Husky 701 Enduro?

More HP than the Versys, big Single (out of the ktm 690) but wrapped in a more mild bike that is more road friendly from what I have read.

Looks like an Alternative to the AT for me if I dont feel well about the Honda.!.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Not to hijack, but have you checked out the new Husky 701 Enduro?

More HP than the Versys, big Single (out of the ktm 690) but wrapped in a more mild bike that is more road friendly from what I have read.

Looks like an Alternative to the AT for me if I dont feel well about the Honda.!.
I've actually checked out the 701 quite extensively. Looks like a solid bike and if I love the KLX that's probably what will be in my future.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Reasons I am looking to switch. Like Ronheater said the size different is just out of the equation. That's already noted. I just don't drive my versys the long distance or several day rides that she deserves. I want something I can take around town and down the oil roads no sweat. Light, nimble, fun. I have some trails I'd like to try back home which is only an hour from me currently. Just think for my riding style and preferences a little one day commuter is more my style? I know I'm going to miss the V and hate to part with it. I can't justify financially having two bikes right now. If I end up hating the KLX I'll end up selling it and waiting for a discounted 2015 or 16 Versys.
2012 KLX has a tad over 5000 miles on it. Condition in my opinion looks great. I feel like I am getting a good deal. I meet with them sunday to test drive the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00l0l_cULYDO41yjQ_600x450.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	86874   Click image for larger version

Name:	01313_doAm53ZYogb_600x450.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	86882   Click image for larger version

Name:	00202_d2ncivFoPOg_600x450.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	86890  

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:49 AM

Garage
What you can look forward to.

With saddlebags and GPS mounted.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 04-13-2016 at 09:03 AM.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The trade in price for the Versys seems awefully low (if l'm reading your OP correctly) & from my experience with similar bikes I would guide you towards the DRZ400.......It is a fun bike & can climb up vertical walls!!!

Good luck with whatever you end up with though!
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:56 AM

Do it..

Based on your explanation, it sounds to me like you have thought the variables through and provided the KLX is mechanically sound, you will probably be coming home with it Sunday!
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
The trade in price for the Versys seems awefully low (if l'm reading your OP correctly) & from my experience with similar bikes I would guide you towards the DRZ400.......It is a fun bike & can climb up vertical walls!!!

Im understanding that they are giving HIM 2500 bucks, plus the KLX for his Versys? I think I'm understanding that properly.. if thats the case, it seems fair?
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post

I had a DRZ400S. Yes, it can climb walls, and has slightly better suspension, but with the 5 speed it can't rely go much faster on the street, is freaking tall, and heavier.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Im understanding that they are giving HIM 2500 bucks, plus the KLX for his Versys? I think I'm understanding that properly.. if thats the case, it seems fair?
I am trading my Versys for his KLX AND he is giving me $2500.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode