Everybody was Kung Fu fighting! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Everybody was Kung Fu fighting!

This Versys is fast as lightning,
In fact in the curves it was a little bit fright'ning,
but reached a 1000 miles today with expert timing!!!

Yeah, so that song was in my head all day, just figured that I would share it.

Reached a 1000 miles today and I'm so happy about it! Couple of updates.

1) Either the stock seat is getting wore in or my butt is getting used to it because it doesn't bother me that much anymore. Same goes with any vibrations coming from the bike.

2) Everywhere I go, people want to know, "What is it!?!?" -- I love that question, especially the look on their face(s). Everyone also compliments the bike which makes me feel great!

3) Was caught in a heavy downpour the other day and noticed today while filling up the tank that I had some liquid caught in the upper part overflow area. I didn't know what it was so I got it up with some towels. I then noticed that there is a large gap between the fuel tank and the cap. I'm thinking that water got in there which isn't that big of a deal because the fuel tank is sealed properly. I thought though that it would all flow out through the fuel overflow valve. It wasn't a lot of water, maybe 1/4th of a cup. Wondering if anyone else has this problem? I don't think I should seal this gap though...any ideas? Here are some pics so you can see what I am talking about.

4) Getting more comfortable on the bike (newness wearing off) and taking turns better. Started to notice what everyone is talking about with the tires feeling a little slippery.

5) Noticed a very small screech coming from the front tire. Imagine your brake pads going out and the screech sound it makes. Now it is that noise but nowhere close to that amount of screeching! It also isn't coming from the brakes. I was lubing the chain using the push, spray, push, spray method and only then while pushing did I notice it. Any ideas what would be making that noise? Do I need to lube something up there?

6) For some reason or another, after I've been riding for a while I get sore and tense on the upper left side of my back. It isn't central, it isn't both sides, it is just the upper left part. I've tried sitting more upright or slouching more to remedy it but I keep forgeting to do it throughout my riding. Has anyone esle had this problem? Should I change my head position more up or down? Am I sitting wrong? I know that it still feels like the left hand grip & clutch lever should be out roughly an inch further to the left. Maybe move the handlebars, raise them, something? Any recommendations? Here is a pic to show the area that I am talking about. Any pro bono doctors of physical therapists out there.

All in all, still a great day, great bike, and I'm having a blast!

Bill

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, also forgot. I know that Thumper has the 35L Caribou Cases but does anyone have the 36L, 40L or another size that is kinda large? Trying to think which one would be better for my needs while still offering some room for a passenger. I have to be able to store all riding gear with the bike while I'm at work. (helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, pants, locked up, etc.)

AMSOIL!!! So where/who should I get this from? Going synthetic here shortly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hi Bill.

i will answer 2 here;

Fuel Tank-should not collect water and you can tighten the upper part and the water should drain through the drain/overflow hose. Check the overflow hose and see it allows water or flue to flow out.

On the shoulder_ I am not a doctor but have the same pain.
This I believe is because of not relaxing will riding. Take it a bit easy holding the handle bar. some riders don't even breath while on twisters , so just relax and take breaks. The pain can build up stress level in your body.

And nice write up of your 1000k and go enjoy your rides for another 1000k.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 AM

I found the same water collecting last week after a big rain and then washing the bike. I took the cap off to check the drain line. I blew air through it and it is clear! The water just does not flow out properly.
I am thinking on how to seal that area so water does not collect. I don't believe water can get into the fuel tank because of the rubber seal. But, I don't like leaving water sit due to rust over time. Everything rusts if water sits.
Bill, let me know if you come up with any ideas for a fix.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

Last edited by Thumper; 08-17-2010 at 09:30 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
HI Bill, on the shoulder just sing kung fu fighting when riding as that should relax you as I am cracking up after singing the verse to my wife on her birthday but she told me to go away and don't be a goose but that tune will keep you in good rhythm. I generally ride with balls of my feet on footpegs (have heard some people slide forward on seat but dont have this problem myself and maybe helped by my foot postion) more than my heel and on long trips to change postions at times and stand up while riding to give whole body some muscle movement

On the stock seat, mine is stock and I think you get used to it but my longest ride on a day was 350 miles and did not feel sore at all but if was doing longer distance may just try a cushion or bike specific seat pad for endurance rides.

Keep it up Bill love your posts, Phil
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the posts. I did notice that the tension is not as bad the more miles I put on. I guess I am just a little bit more nerved up...I'll try working on relaxing more, seating position, and sitting the same way for an entire ride to see if that helps.

Thumper, just saw your thread about the water collection. I'm gonna shoot some air down the hose tomorrow, then actually put some water in that area (gas tank closed), and see how bad it is. I don't think we should seal up this area due to fumes possibly needing to escape?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Well, the aluminum retainer ring has air gaps with no seal, so I am thinking fumes would dissipate with the slightest wind movement. I was thinking of some kind O-Ring.It just seems strange that water will sit there without draining even though the line is clear. If I was a science major (I'm not), I would say air pressure on the outside is greater than the weight of the water collection, which is why it does not drain.
Let me know if yours is clear too.

IBA #23562

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Thumper!!! I found out what my problem is with the water!!!

Okay, so you said air would go through. I don't have an air canister and it is late at night so I couldn't start up the air compressor. I figured air would go through mine also so I took some flexible/smooth wire and put it down the drain hole. Well, it went down for a while but then got totally jammed. I figured there was maybe a kink in the hose and sure enough there was!

Me being a newb I had to look in the manual to find out which hole in the tank was used to drain the water buildup. I then didn't know which hose it was to drain on the bottom side so I figured I would take off the tank, but didn't need to get that far.

I left the twist in the hose, shoved a rag in the tank, and then proceeded to put water into our problem area. As soon as I fixed the hose, the water was immediately drained out. I then decided (silly) to dump a bunch of water into the tank filling area and again, the water went immediately through, minus 2 drops. The bike is sitting on its side, but I am sure while riding those last two drops will go through or evaporate.

I think the problem mainly is that the drain hose is too long and that possibly the people setting up the bike moved it carelessly? I'm gonna trim the drain hose down on mine. Here are some pics, but the quality isn't great.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

bill_milstead

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

No problem! I just hope that it is the same problem with Thumper.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:52 AM

Sounds like a good fix Bill. I have a meeting today that will last most of the day. I will come home and check my hose for the same problem. If yours works now, pretty sure mine will be the same problem. Air can go through because I am forcing it, but water might not because of the kink.
Thanks for the quick post and I will let you know as soon as I get into it today.
Thumper

IBA #23562

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
Thumper!!! I found out what my problem is with the water!!!

Okay, so you said air would go through. I don't have an air canister and it is late at night so I couldn't start up the air compressor. I figured air would go through mine also so I took some flexible/smooth wire and put it down the drain hole. Well, it went down for a while but then got totally jammed. I figured there was maybe a kink in the hose and sure enough there was!

Me being a newb I had to look in the manual to find out which hole in the tank was used to drain the water buildup. I then didn't know which hose it was to drain on the bottom side so I figured I would take off the tank, but didn't need to get that far.

I left the twist in the hose, shoved a rag in the tank, and then proceeded to put water into our problem area. As soon as I fixed the hose, the water was immediately drained out. I then decided (silly) to dump a bunch of water into the tank filling area and again, the water went immediately through, minus 2 drops. The bike is sitting on its side, but I am sure while riding those last two drops will go through or evaporate.

I think the problem mainly is that the drain hose is too long and that possibly the people setting up the bike moved it carelessly? I'm gonna trim the drain hose down on mine. Here are some pics, but the quality isn't great.

bill_milstead. If you have cut the overflow tube, there is a slight set back. The pipe is also meant to drain overflow of fuel, so if you cut it short, then you might have fuel all over the engine in case of overflow. Just imagine what will happen when the engine is hot. The hose must at least below the crankcase.

Hope you didn't cut it too short.

Last edited by Fastoman; 08-18-2010 at 06:25 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
You should not need to cut it just thread it though into correct position
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Hey, didn't cut the tube. I posted the info before doing anything. The tube has plenty of space and I just moved it slightly. Thanks for looking out for me guys!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM

That was the problem. Mine was kinked at the bottom where it is routed through a clamp. I just moved it outside the clamp and loosely wiretied it so it was not kinked by the clamp. I tested the drain and it flowed like a flowmaster.
Thanks for the suggestion Bill.

IBA #23562

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Good find!!!!

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Yeah.

I used compressed air and it went after that. maybe didn't have a kink on mine.
Bill, Thumper.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode