Is this the worst Best idea for 'bikers? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

1Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Question Is this the worst Best idea for 'bikers?

At 1st l liked it, thinking that the GPS would be displayed in a larger form than on your smartphone until l see that it also displays texts!!

It's a killer as far as l'm concerned because it's just too much of a distraction when a nano seconds' lack of concentration is dangerous!

BBC - Autos - Samsung's Smart Windshield is the worst good idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Yep, Bad Idea....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
v.v just stupid. only thing i could see it being good for is GPS and maybe rear view cam

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would like to see a windshield with GPS guidance...
not sure I would like something else... but who knows??

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My truck will read incoming texts if I set it up to do so. I do have it set to autoreply that I am driving.

I would like to see radar / laser detector on the windshield.
saddlebag likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I would like to see radar / laser detector on the windshield.
I would like to see a (legal) radar/laser jammer on the dashboard!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Leave it to the Italians to invent a "head down" display. Wait - don't rag on me, my wife is Italian and a credit to her heritage. I think that's a compliment!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I know I don't look through that part of my windscreen..so I can't see it being more distracting than my gauges (have you seen some of those things?)...now "texts?" hell no...I wouldn't mind it..but I don't think I need it...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:55 AM

I use a GPS/Sat radio and admittedly, the radio part is a distraction as I'm apt to change the channel every now and again. The GPS part really isn't a distraction since the text is too small for me to read anymore. Hence, I'm forced to use GPS as an audio aid. Blessing and a curse to this. There is text that tells you the next street to turn on. It would be helpful if I could see it. The lady giving the audio commands has been known to keep silent about such events until after I've missed them at which point I get a scolding reminder "RECALCULATING!"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
The lady giving the audio commands has been known to keep silent about such events until after I've missed them at which point I get a scolding reminder "RECALCULATING!"
I think it was a Tom Tom l had that you could change the command voice to English (too posh) American (horrible accent) English/ American (acceptable) & English with a French accent!!!! (l just rode around all day taking wrong turns so that she'd scold me!!!)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 PM
BKP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see in the article where it said it displayed actual text content... (as opposed to just text and call notifications).
Since my phone is connected via bluetooth anyway, I get audio notifications of texts, and take a look at the phone, in an X-Grip, off to the side (tell me no one else does this - especially if you're using it as a tiny-screen GPS)... This way at least it's more of a heads up display, without having to glance off to the side, and in larger fonts - no worse than glancing at the gauges. Probably much better... I don't think it's all that bad of an idea...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode