National 55 MPH maximum speed limit - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
National 55 MPH maximum speed limit

Well here we go again.

New York Times:

President Obama has announced that he will be signing an executive order to implement a national speed limit over the next few months.

White House spokes person Sandy Wells announced in a brief press conference yesterday "The President has taken this much needed step toward making the highways safer and to save the world's natural resources for future generations".

Republican senate leaders have characterized this move by the president as "underhanded and outside his authority".

Wells, "It will take several months to get all of the states on board and the president expects resistance, but in the end, this is a step in the right direction."

Would You Drive 55? - TIME

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I remember when its was a 55mph maximum. Long trips were agonizing. Stupid ideal by our jack-ass leader....
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You were a day too early for April Fool's Ray!!!!!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I remember when its was a 55mph maximum. Long trips were agonizing. Stupid ideal by our jack-ass leader....
Of course you are referring to Republican President Richard Nixon here, right Joe?

Nixon signs national speed limit into law - Jan 02, 1974 - HISTORY.com
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Of course you are referring to Republican President Richard Nixon here, right Joe?

Nixon signs national speed limit into law - Jan 02, 1974 - HISTORY.com

Hey China liked Nixon...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't mind the interstates going to 55 as long as all the back roads I travel stay where they are today.

After riding 75 mph on Texas two lane roads, it would be hard to think about how long and boring it would be riding across Texas slow.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
The problem w/ a national speed limit to "...save gas...", is that you PUNISH those w/ fuel-efficient vehicles, NOT the ones w/ gas-guzzlers.

So, the guy w/ the 3/4 ton pickup goes the same speed as the guy w/ a Honda Civic (who is being punished...)!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The problem w/ a national speed limit to "...save gas...", is that you PUNISH those w/ fuel-efficient vehicles, NOT the ones w/ gas-guzzlers.

So, the guy w/ the 3/4 ton pickup goes the same speed as the guy w/ a Honda Civic (who is being punished...)!
I wasn't driving when the 55 mph limit was started, but I do recall that it was done for fuel economy and safety. Plus, everyone knows that cars are most fuel efficient at around 45 mph.

I know my bikes are more fuel efficient at 55 mph and I can lose as much as 10 mpg at Texas interstate speeds.

Mpg For Speed - Fuel Efficiency Vs. Speed

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:47 PM

I wonder what the gas mileage on Air Force One is? Conservation is for suckers, just ask Algore.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.. ..watch the knee jerks jerk.....I won't even Google that..I know a joke when I see one..like Trump or Cruz...it must be soo wonderful...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
Ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.. ..watch the knee jerks jerk.....I won't even Google that..I know a joke when I see one..like Trump or Cruz...it must be soo wonderful...
Ray gets bored on the weekend.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Ray gets bored on the weekend.
And on April 1st

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
After riding 75 mph on Texas two lane roads, it would be hard to think about how long and boring it would be riding across Texas slow.
It's boring riding across Texas at any speed!!!!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I drove across Texas back in 1973...god it was awful...lol

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I drove across Texas back in 1973...god it was awful...lol

Not if you stop at the strip clubs along the way....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Not if you stop at the strip clubs along the way....
Full of former cheerleaders and beauty queens I would imagine.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 PM

Anyone who has actually been across Texas (with their eyes open) certainly wouldn't be bored. Hell, Texas has more pine trees than Maine, the pine tree state.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Banned

So you regard the amount of pine trees as a positive experience?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Anyone who has actually been across Texas (with their eyes open) certainly wouldn't be bored. Hell, Texas has more pine trees than Maine, the pine tree state.
tumble weeds is what I remember...I took the long way..Hwy.10 all the way across from Orange to El Paso...Maine's pretty cool..I lived in New Hampshire for a bit and made it over to Maine a lot...pine trees? I've seen a few around here in Oregon...

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:02 AM

Sorta. It the variety that interest me, pine trees in one corner, deserts in the other. You can stand on a Caddo Indian mound in East Texas or sleep near the summit of Guadalupe Peak (a couple of thousand feet higher than Mt. Katahdin, btw) If you haven't made it out to Big Bend you have missed something. There are folks who say the Grand Canyon is just a big hole, go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode