Test Rides - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Test Rides

My wife has decided to move from a scooter to a bike, so we have been visiting the local dealer. Saturday she found a bike she liked (S50), but the dealer does not allow test rides. Is this normal? It was a used bike, and we couldn't even ride it around the parking lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Shop through Craigslist if possible. Find an S50 there, and talk the seller into a test drive.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/1878080897.html

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Consignment Bike?

If it was a used bike on consignment to the dealer from the owner, the dealer's insurance would not cover any damages resulting from a test ride. If it was a trade-in, depending on the state, the dealer may only be in possession of a signed title document, which means it is still in the original owner's name (technically), but the original owner's insurance would decline to cover damages in either case.

Allowing test rides on trade-ins or consignment bikes is generally a no-no for dealers; although some do allow them on true trade-ins.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

It was a used bike from their inventory, but they allowed no test rides at all new or used.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 865GreenV View Post
It was a used bike from their inventory, but they allowed no test rides at all new or used.
Bizarre. I have never had a dealer decline a test ride. Heck, I have declined test ride offers, most recent one being on a Victory bike. The sales person was so keen (and pushy) on getting me on the bike that it actually made me a bit uncomfortable.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
My wife has decided to move from a scooter to a bike, so we have been visiting the local dealer. Saturday she found a bike she liked (S50), but the dealer does not allow test rides. Is this normal? It was a used bike, and we couldn't even ride it around the parking lot.
If that's is the S50 Suzuki, from my information Suzuki discontinued the S series a couple of years ago, my wife had the S40 which is great and suzuki developed the carburettor S series range but the bigger engine bikes had bad geometry, my wife has the C50(classic) or there is also the M50 (muscle), the S50 just does not handle that well and would be even worse for a learner stepping up to a bigger bike IMHO. Phil
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Yes it was a S50 Suzuki. The dealer had used 06 and a new 09. Most people we have talked to love the bikes, but handling is one reason I want her to be able to test ride one.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

My wife was keen on the S50 to until a neighbours sister brought one and got rid of it after a short time and she worked at a suzuki shop. Before I responded to your post rang a guy I know in a big Suzuki dealership 100 miles north of me just to confirm why Suzuki were not making anymore S50's but they still doing the S40's as they are a great cheap entry level cruiser but they area bit gutless for a 650cc bike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will pass on the info to my wife. She is only 5ft tall, so the list of available full size bikes is a short one.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Understand that my friend, that why cruiser's are popular with shorter women, the good thing about the S50 is that is it a lot lighter than my wifes C50, do not mean to put you off a good deal but if her heart is set on the S50 make sure she gets a chance for a good test ride and not just in a parking lot.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:34 PM

The dealers around here are kind of in the middle ground on test rides. The Triumph dealer tries to keep a demo on hand for most of the bike families, and the Honda/Yamaha shop keeps a couple of demos on hand as well. The Kawa/Zuki/Victory dealer is pretty unwilling to let you take anything new out; I never shopped there for used. I get their stance, though. It's harder to sell a new bike with miles on it at a new price, and even if insurance covers damages it's still a headache. Then there's the trick of separating the joyriders from the serious buyers. I heard one of the Kawasaki sales guys talking to somebody looking at a 'Busa. He asked about a test ride; sales guy replies, "Sure, just leave us a check for the price of the bike." Sounds like kind of a d*ck response in print, but the buyer laughed and said that was understandable.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

We found a dealer in NC that allows test rides, and has the same bike. So off we go tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
We found a dealer in NC that allows test rides, and has the same bike. So off we go tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.
Don't forget to feedback what your wife thinks after here test ride. What kind of bike is she riding at the moment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode