A Reason Why A Police Officer Didn't Give You A Ticket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
A Reason Why A Police Officer Didn't Give You A Ticket

Was heading to Whichita Falls TX. Got pulled over by the highway patrol doing just under 80mph in a 55 zone. The trooper has me sit in his front passenger seat while he runs my license and tells me why i'm being pulled over. He takes out his ticket book reaches for his front pocket and then pats that area with a puzzled look on his face and says well it looks like the young lady i pulled over before you took my pen. He looks at me leans in alittle and said Have a nice day and slow it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Wow that's lucky! Go buy a lottery ticket! And slow down
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Take note, steal the cops pen if you don't want a ticket
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Forgot to mention this was back in 1998 but was thinking about it this morning and was wondering if some other folks had something to share.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:48 AM

A story about a ticket I didn't get

I have Disable Veteran Plates on one of my cars and Purple Heart plates on the other car. Although I am a Vietnam Era Disabled Veteran I try not to use that as an excuse for anything as some days I get by OK and other days the wounds from shrapnel against my spine is almost unbearable. I have been stopped for speeding a couple of times in the past few years, but never got a ticket and I do believe the plates helped. This story is about one of those times.

One day a while back I was in the vehicle that has the DAV license plates on it going up to Oklahoma from Dallas and got pulled over by the Denton police after cresting an overpass doing about 80 in a 70. After stopping and waiting for the officer to approach my car I noticed he was on the radio a few minutes before he got out and came up to my car. When he got to my car he asked me if I knew why he stopped and I told him, “Yep, I was speeding.” (Even though everyone else around me was doing about the same speed, I just got picked out of the crowd.) I felt that there was no sense in even bringing that up. I was guilty.

He then asked for my license and insurance and proceeded back to his vehicle to run the information. I guess he needed to see if I was wanted on any warrants or an escaped convict, etc. He was in his car for about 10 minutes before he returned, and I kind of started to get worried. He then returned to my car and gave me back my license and insurance papers.

After a slight pause he then asked me what I did for a living. I told him I didn't do anything as I was a Disabled Vet and really couldn't do anything anyone would hire me for on a regular basis. He had his ticket book in hand and what he did next really surprised me.

He closed his ticket book and in a quiet, sincere voice said "Thank you for your service sir and please try and slow down". With a quick snap to attention he saluted me and then walked back to his car and drove off.

I sat there for a moment and reflected on how long it had been since anyone had taken the time to consider the pain, separation and long hours that the 18 years in the Army had demanded of me. What he did doesn't happen often and as I felt the moisture begin to well up in my eyes my emotions ran the gambit between embarrassment and pride. His actions deeply moved me to the point that it took me a few minutes to regain my composure before I could continue to drive.

It was a simple thing, but very, very powerful to me. Vietnam Veterans generally don't get a lot of respect. The license plates were no excuse for breaking the law, but in this case, I think it helped save me a ticket. I didn't even have a chance to say thank you as he was gone so quickly.

I never knew the officers name but I know that's one fellow I did it all for and would do it again. To that officer, whomever he may be, I promise to try and slow down. Try, being the operative word here.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 AM

That reminds me of a cop story I heard a long time ago ... don't know if it is true or not but here gos

A guy gets pulled over by a cop with radar ... cop comes up to the guy and says ... 100 in a 65 ... !!! Ive been waiting for you all day ... The guy says sorry ... I got here just as fast as I could ... !!! Cop bursts in uncontrolable laughter ... and lets him go ...

I like it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by freewheeler; 08-15-2010 at 07:57 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 AM

Great story and thanks also!

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 AM

+1 here also ........
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Dallasdon SIR.

I sat there for a moment and reflected on how long it had been since anyone had taken the time to consider the pain, separation and long hours that the 18 years in the Army had demanded of me. What he did doesn't happen often and as I felt the moisture begin to well up in my eyes my emotions ran the gambit between embarrassment and pride. His actions deeply moved me to the point that it took me a few minutes to regain my composure before I could continue to drive.

It was a simple thing, but very, very powerful to me. Vietnam Veterans generally don't get a lot of respect. The license plates were no excuse for breaking the law, but in this case, I think it helped save me a ticket. I didn't even have a chance to say thank you as he was gone so quickly.

I never knew the officers name but I know that's one fellow I did it all for and would do it again. To that officer, whomever he may be, I promise to try and slow down. Try, being the operative word here.

GOD GAVE HIS LIVE FOR THE FREEDOM OF OUR SOUL.

YOUR PAIN AND SUFFERING IS FOR THE FREEDOM OF OUR LIFE .THANK YOU SIR AND GOD BE WITH YOU.
YOU HAVE MY SALUTE FOR YOUR SACRIFICE TO THE NATION AND THE WORLD IN GENERAL.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

YOUR PAIN AND SUFFERING IS FOR THE FREEDOM OF OUR LIFE .THANK YOU SIR AND GOD BE WITH YOU.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Great story dallasdon, used to to talk to a a guy at my prevous work, was the security guard who was in the NZ army that spent time in Vietnam, he is retired now and was is a really great maori guy and and NZ did not really help our guys out that served there either so I am sure when that cop made the point of thanking your service it would of meant a lot to you.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you DallasDon

...I wish I could express my feelings as well as Fastoman

Last edited by Tech-Diver; 08-15-2010 at 08:21 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Good stuff all around!

I used to work 3 jobs (two full time and one part time) so I was always running late and of course speeding. Well, I got a ticket for speeding but didn't go to court for it. It was one of those weird things where I had to go to court and couldn't just pay it. Anyway, one of my buddies said to just blow it off and that it would be thrown out...it wasn't. So, on the day I had to go to court I was of course running late and speeding. Got pulled over by a cop, asked me why I was speeding, told him I was late for court to pay for a speeding ticket. He then proceeded to write me up and give me another ticket for speeding. When I got in front of the judge he asked me why I was late, I told him, and then he kinda smiled but made sure not to laugh. The judge threw out the cheaper ticket and made me pay for the other one.

Prior military, Tags for one state and a license for another usually has police wondering. Some of the time they will let you go if they find out if you are in the military. Though the trooper story above is really amazing!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Garage
Was in a group of 8-9 bikes heading up a interstate. We were going with the flow at around 85-90 in a 50. We were passed by a few bikes that were going way faster.

Mile later we have a State Trooper pulling over our group. He got out of his car sreaming how we were doing 120+ and he had been chasing us for miles. We started telling him how we were "only" doing 90, not 120. He let us go after checking that we all had licenses.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks Dallasdon
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
... Vietnam Veterans generally don't get a lot of respect.
They do in this man's presence Sir!

Thank you for your service

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:37 PM

I appreciate that very much and thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Sometimes in our busy lives, we forgot those that gave us the privilege to live it the way we do. Every time I see an old vet with his hat on proclaiming his past involvement in the freedom of our country, I become just a wee bit more humble as to his sacrifices and always extend my hand in thanks.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread so my apologies to the author. Just relating a story of why I didn't get a ticket.
.[/QUOTE]

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 08-15-2010 at 02:41 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I appreciate that very much and thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Sometimes in our busy lives, we forgot those that gave us the privilege to live it the way we do. Every time I see an old vet with his hat on proclaiming his past involvement in the freedom of our country, I become just a wee bit more humble as to his sacrifices and always extend my hand in thanks.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread so my apologies to the author. Just relating a story of why I didn't get a ticket.
[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize was intrested to see storys and yours by far is the best. I feel our country has abandoned many of our vets and i thinks its a damn shame how they don't get the respect and the benefits they are due. My farther entered the navy at age 16 and retired as a chief at age 36 serving in WWII and Korea. He loved the navy and his country he passed away last year on june 27th 8 days shy of his 85th.birthday. Placed in the casket with him was his favorite hat that had on it an american flag and the saying " These colors don't run Never have and Never will " The navy gave him a great send off having a military burial with pall bearers, Gun salute and the playing of taps along with the folding of the flag and the presentation. You could see it was extremly important to the squad they sent to get it perfect and they did. The most impressive form of respect i had ever witnessed.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM

Just Got Stopped Yesterday!

While fininshing up our Texas Hill Country run we all split up and I decided to cut thru a subdivision to catch a back road. Out of nowhere I seen flashing lights on my tail and imediately pulled over. The officer said I was doing 45 in a 30 and asked for my drivers license. After he went back to his car and ran my plate he said that since it looked like a was a responsible rider wearing a helmet and proper riding gear along with a clean record he was just going to write me a warning. I'm sure he could have given a ticket if he wanted to. He also said as he was walking away "By the way - nice bike!". Sure could have turned out alot worse!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 AM

Any war is hell and it's kill or be killed.
It's a brotherhood to men/women fighting day to day to stay alive.
How many man/woman have lost their youth and lost some essence of their soul along the way, only God knows.

I hope the youth and leaders today realize that nobody wins in any war and conflict.

To Dallasdon and other vets (anywhere in the world):

The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you;
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and grant You peace.

if

Have met a few cops and always say to myself "These Guys also go to the toilet like you". Show them respect for doing their job and you might get lucky.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode