Why I Split At Red Lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

5Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By chadams66
  • 2 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Why I Split At Red Lights

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/suv...015218293.html
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I did my first lane sharing the other day..along with some shoulder riding in a horrible traffic jam (read stopped for miles and miles and miles) on my air cooled bike ('83 BMW)...took the first exit I could and found gas leaking all over my left boot (whacked off an 1/8" of the tubing end..good to go)...I would hate to think of what would've/could've happened had I just sat in traffic...got home and replaced every gas line...lane sharing or riding the shoulder aren't legal here...
you definitely gotta keep your eyes on your 6 at stop lights and never never stop behind the vehicle in front of you..always stop to the side (I pull half way up along side)...we had someone taken out like that recently and just last year..both fatal...
stay safe my friends (you other guys too)...

weljo2001 and silviefox like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OMG! That's terrible! Any driver who does that should be shot on the spot (I'm being lenient - I'd prefer torture! )

When I lived in CA I commuted full time, and split lanes most of the time. People say "that's dangerous!" - I ask how many times they've seen cars crash sideways into each other, vs rear-end accidents. (Some years ago a Suburban rear-ended my Pontiac at speed, in broad daylight, on a clear highway).

I'll take my chance where I have some control of my destiny, thank you very much!

No longer in CA, so can't split anymore, but as Chadams66 suggested, I ride near the center line and/or stop there at red lights. I'll obey the local laws and not split...unless my life depends on it, then I'm using "the middle" as my escape route!

Ride safe everyone! and yes, watch behind you, always!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
A lot of times coming to a red light there will be one car stopped i pull up right on the line separating the lanes. The car coming up in the open lane will normally stop leaving a space next to me. I wave them to come on up. When people ask why i had them pull up i tell them its safer for me to be next to you than in front of you....
silviefox and Oldandslow like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I did my first lane sharing the other day..along with some shoulder riding in a horrible traffic jam (read stopped for miles and miles and miles) on my air cooled bike ('83 BMW)...took the first exit I could and found gas leaking all over my left boot (whacked off an 1/8" of the tubing end..good to go)...I would hate to think of what would've/could've happened had I just sat in traffic...got home and replaced every gas line...lane sharing or riding the shoulder aren't legal here...
you definitely gotta keep your eyes on your 6 at stop lights and never never stop behind the vehicle in front of you..always stop to the side (I pull half way up along side)...we had someone taken out like that recently and just last year..both fatal...
stay safe my friends (you other guys too)...

im not a fan of riding the shoulder, every puncture ive got on a bike happen from the shoulder ... but im all for splitting

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 03-21-2016 at 10:20 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:30 PM

If any State (in the SE hopefully) ever did lane splitting, it would get a mass influx of motorcyclists who want (and know what it takes) to be safe.

SC and FL have 'fool' no helmet laws, so I'm surprised they don't do it (??) The whole country would be a safer place, and you don't really realize how much until you do it: I didn't (but I did get knee guards to feel 100% safe - Never leave home without them!

Last edited by kawdog; 03-20-2016 at 07:36 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Unfortunately for the driver, they'll likely face ticket for following too close. They could be out up to a hundred bucks!

If they were drinking they'll probably get hung.

Aren't you glad laws are more worried about contributing factors rather than the actual crime?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
.. but im all for slitting
Is that what you'd do to the SUV drivers throat Silvie??????

Back to Joe's lane splitting.....l don't blame you for doing it in LA, l used to do it all the time in the UK, it also has it's own potential dangers, but it has advantages if you want to take the risk, & for me the time it saved on the traffic clogged roads of England was incredible, & we also used to lane split on the motorways/freeways because they could also be at a standstill (the box drivers hated us!)

Here's a vid l found of a very sensible Brit rider who will explain everything to you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMGoiw-4M4

Last edited by my2wheels; 03-21-2016 at 10:30 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
Is that what you'd do to the SUV drivers throat Silvie??????

Back to Joe's lane splitting.....l don't blame you for doing it in LA, l used to do it all the time in the UK, it also has it's own potential dangers, but it has advantages if you want to take the risk, & to me the time it saved on the traffic clogged roads of England was incredible, & we also used to lane split on the motorways/freeways because they could also be at a standstill (the box drivers hated us!)

splitting** sorry had to pi$$ so bad all my "P" was pent up

yes im a guy.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:32 AM

All that link did for me was open up a yahoo web page, am I missing something?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
splitting** sorry had to pi$$ so bad all my "P" was pent up

LOL........do you sit down to pee????
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
All that link did for me was open up a yahoo web page, am I missing something?
There's a video that you'll have to wait while it loads showing live footage of the aftermath Markie.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
LOL........do you sit down to pee????
yes actully in the morning if im up stairs i do, walls to far away to lean into when half asleep xD

yes im a guy.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Banned

Here's an interesting & scary filtering/lane splitting video!!!!

LiveLeak.com - Motorcyclist hits man who was wandering in the middle of a freeway.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Here's an interesting & scary filtering/lane splitting video!!!!

LiveLeak.com - Motorcyclist hits man who was wandering in the middle of a freeway.
Holy cow I was amazed the guy got up after that I could have swore the truck ran him over.. I honestly don't know how it didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode