Letter To BMW - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Letter To BMW

My wife's Dad used to own a BMW franchise. She sent the following letter to him with a pic of the bike, after I installed the KMW sticker on the V. Good that he has a sense of humor. Bet he wishes he sold this one. Please don't be offended if you own a BMW, I love them and wish I could afford one myself.

Quote:

William Ireland, President

BWM - Tomorrow's Motorcycle's - Today

You Sir, can be on the forefornt of motorcycle history. For just a minor investment, you can be a part of a new trend in adventure/sport-touring vision. As you can see from the attached photograph, I have created a new progressive and innovative motorcycle. Aptly entitled the “KMW” this motorcycle has the vision, technology and capability of the BMW, but without the enormous price-tag.

For half the funds required for the “Uppity, BMW version” you can have an adventure/sport bike than can handle all the curves, the tarmac and the off-road riding you are bold enough to attempt. Complete with engine guard, Carabou panniers, radiator cover, adventure front fender and the beautifully designed KMW emblem, all valued priced at under $ 8,000.00 – nearly 5 to 10 thousand dollars less than a BMW. Then, factor in the cost of taking your new love to a BMW (Bring Your Wallet) dealer, since most BMW riders refuse to work on their own bikes, and you have true value at a true motorcyclist price.

If you are interested in taking part of motorcycle history, please contact me right away at [email protected]

Thanking you in advance for your time,

Mr. Thumper “KMW” McKenzie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badluck at Marina.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	7929  

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Thumper; 08-11-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 AM

I use to own a BMW..no offense taken...that was just too funny... but so very true
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 AM

Your bike looks sweet ass ...... i like it

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Like your KMW badge

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 AM

That. Is. Awesome.

I'd love to see the look on Mr. Ireland's face when he reads that letter.
You could use a P.S. at the bottom of the letter stating: Kawasaki Versys - taking away BMW sales one unit at a time.

Great letter and great photo! Keep up the good mods!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Sorry. i'm kind of lost on the actual point? Is the versys cheaper and a great motorcycle? yes. obviously i bought one. great price point for an excellent bike.

BMW's are obviously more expensive, but they offer alot of stuff standard that you don't get with the kawasaki, starting with the warranty, and moving on to things like heated grips, self canceling signals on many of their models, etc. comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are good, just depends on preference. If money wasn't an object, probably i would own a BMW or Aprilia. I have in the past and i probably will again. The higher end bikes are definitely in a different class, and when you have one you can tell the difference.

I just don't see the point in mocking other types/brands of bikes. Sounds like Harley vs. non-Harley. I'm more of the school of ride and let ride. I like alot of different brands and kinds of bikes, and if i have my way i will try them all before i die!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

The point was that it was humor! Of course the BMW is a high end bike. I just kind of figured that someone might miss that this was not a slam on BMW, but merely a well written, humorous letter sent from a daughter, to rib a father, who used to own a BMW franchise. I thought it was funny enough to share with friends.
I posted it in the forum of "Off-Topic" for that reason. Why else would we have an "Off-Topic" area?
Lighten up and have some fun.

IBA #23562

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
My wife's Dad used to own a BMW franchise. She sent the following letter to him with a pic of the bike, after I installed the KMW sticker on the V. Good that he has a sense of humor. Bet he wishes he sold this one. Please don't be offended if you own a BMW, I love them and wish I could afford one myself.

Quote:

William Ireland, President

BWM - Tomorrow's Motorcycle's - Today

You Sir, can be on the forefornt of motorcycle history. For just a minor investment, you can be a part of a new trend in adventure/sport-touring vision. As you can see from the attached photograph, I have created a new progressive and innovative motorcycle. Aptly entitled the “KMW” this motorcycle has the vision, technology and capability of the BMW, but without the enormous price-tag.

For half the funds required for the “Uppity, BMW version” you can have an adventure/sport bike than can handle all the curves, the tarmac and the off-road riding you are bold enough to attempt. Complete with engine guard, Carabou panniers, radiator cover, adventure front fender and the beautifully designed KMW emblem, all valued priced at under $ 8,000.00 – nearly 5 to 10 thousand dollars less than a BMW. Then, factor in the cost of taking your new love to a BMW (Bring Your Wallet) dealer, since most BMW riders refuse to work on their own bikes, and you have true value at a true motorcyclist price.

If you are interested in taking part of motorcycle history, please contact me right away at [email protected]

Thanking you in advance for your time,

Mr. Thumper “KMW” McKenzie
Tell me more about that front fender...

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 AM

BMW, yesterday's technology today, at tomorrow's prices!

Actually, this comes from a medical technology company I use to work for. It was our standing joke when a new product came out that didn't work and they never did the first version around.

Machog

PS no offense to BMW, we have one of their cars and its a great piece of engineering.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyrider View Post
Tell me more about that front fender...
Hey John,
It is an Acerbis SuperMoto fender.

IBA #23562

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Awesome bike! Were do you get those KMW sticker anyway? Is this custom made?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM

i realize that, just saying is all....

i guess everyone doesn't always find the same stuff funny.

I didn't notice where it was posted since i just browse new posts on the front page usually.

no problems, have fun!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:31 PM

BTW, giving family members a hard time with some mockery thrown in is a respected tradition in my family, so i totally understand that part!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedstar View Post
Awesome bike! Were do you get those KMW sticker anyway? Is this custom made?
[email protected]

$5.00 ea plus $2.00 handling.

He gave me permission to refer him if anyone was interested. Tell him Thumper sent ya.

IBA #23562

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Hey John,
$27 at BikeBandit.
http://www.bikebandit.com/acerbis-su...LAID=338447853

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Hey John,
It looks great! How stiff is the plastic? Paintable? Is mounting a pain? I don't think the standard green acerbis fender would look quite right...

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

I did not paint mine since it was black and matched the bike. These are just plastic so painting with something like Fusion spray paint should be pretty easy. Mounting is not hard to figure out. I followed what some of the other members on here suggested. A few different way of mounting but I cut a metal plate and drilled holes through that and matched the fender to the holes with stainless bolts, washer and locknuts. Pretty secure and road tested up to 80mph with no problem.
You will need to get a Radiator guard, brake lines and make some fork guards. A project but not hard.
Good luck and let me know if I can help.

IBA #23562

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 05:05 AM

really funny!

As it happens here I would say BMW = Bring Mama´s Wallet !
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM

I could get pretty much what ever motorcycle I want but I chose the Versys. Here are a few of the reasons:
* I don't want to ride a 500 lb motorcycle
* The Versys does everything I want it to
* Used price including several touring and safety upgrades less than 7K
* 5 months of commuting and one 2,700 mi. trip tell me that I made an excellent choice
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 PM

Montani Semper Liberi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode