New ride lifted 2000 Jeep cherokee sport - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New ride lifted 2000 Jeep cherokee sport

I decided to get rid of my 1995 Isuzu trooper 5 speed for a Jeep Cherokee and she is mmaaaaaaaddddddd clean!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought you guys would want to appreciate it and all of her glory. 2000 Jeep cherokee sport prestine, crappy radio 160K miles high output 4.0 motor. New drive belts. Dealership maintained. Got it in Portland for 4600
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cherokee.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	82841  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:35 PM

I thought I was still in the NAXJA forum there for a minute. Nice looking XJ. I have 98 that I've been working on for a while.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

It's nice to talk about something other then my versys I mean it's raining so hard I can't ride anyway.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:12 AM

yea, i'm a jeep nut as well. have owned several of them, and my daughter currently has the last one. i am a HUGE fan of that 4.0 motor. One of the most bulletproof motor's i know of. I drove mine to work for years, played in the snow with it in the winter, played int he mud in the summer, pulled logs out of the woods with it. i sold it to my neighbor with about 140,000 on it. that was 7 years ago. it still gets driven hard with well over 200,000 on it now.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier1390 View Post
It's nice to talk about something other then my versys I mean it's raining so hard I can't ride anyway.
THAT'S what you get for living in the "Great North WET"....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM

Garage
Nice ride! Gotta love em... This is my other baby whom showed up down here from Delaware 10 years or so ago. Ugly, puny, and stinky. Gave her a lift some new shoes and some shiny parts and she's looking much better. Take her top off and it's almost like being on the bike... Almost!

In a galaxy far far away! He's still riding!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I like that wrangler!!!!!!! Yeah I had an 89 Cherokee in high school it was a POS with 190K miles and it was just starting to burn oil. I plan on taking really good care of this rig. I got it mainly because I need a more reliable SUV and these motors are the only ones I know how to work on. They should being back the Inline 6 4.0 motor it's awesome!!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

And holy **** yeah it never stops raining in Oregon we get a long wet winter I love Oregon but I think I'm going to move inland once I get my degree (2yrs)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have a 95 Cherokee that gets used for off road use only. I think the motor is at 156K and going strong. I have soft lockers front and rear, a budget boost (add a leaf, spring pucks, shackle extensions). It started as all black when I got it about 7 years ago. To try to keep cooler in our heat we painted the top, hood and front and back white with elastomeric roof coating. So, black with a white stripe and named PePe Le Pew for the old cartoon skunk. One fellow Jeeper said some folks live by "spare no expense" for their rig, but when he saw the block of wood that holds my hand brake because the little knob is broke he said "Chucks motto is spare every expense". It has been ultra faithful and taken me most places the 37 inch tire Rubicons go. Enjoy your second toy!
PS: What's rain?

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:56 PM

Here's my old 96. I sold it about 8 years ago with 150,000 miles and it still ran like day one. I still think about it nearly every day. My most favorite vehicle I've ever owned.
I met the kid who bought it from me on NAXJA, I told him "If you wreck it or roll it please do not post pictures. If you ever want to get rid of it, give me first bite at it". I still hope the phone rings.
The first photo is the last one I took of it. It was my "for sale" photo.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL

Last edited by ray h; 03-11-2016 at 07:02 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo View Post
Nice ride! Gotta love em... This is my other baby whom showed up down here from Delaware 10 years or so ago. Ugly, puny, and stinky. Gave her a lift some new shoes and some shiny parts and she's looking much better. Take her top off and it's almost like being on the bike... Almost!

She looks black but if I'm not mistaken it's actually green, isn't that a Rio Grande edition which means green, 1995, 2.5 liter. The Rio Grandes had side steps molded into the flares though so maybe I'm seeing things.
Here's my old Rio Grande.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL

Last edited by ray h; 03-12-2016 at 05:18 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Ray that is the saddest story I've heard. I hope he calls you back someday and you get your jeep again. I just love these things easy to work on and very reliable. I'm going to replace the easy stuff really soon. Belts, brakes, fluids, plugs, and filters. But yeah I really think Chrysler should go back to making the 4.0 Motor. My buddy has a completely stock xj he gets 24 on the highway. Amazing.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Garage
Keen eye there... Yes it is the Rio Grande but its actually the 96 version that was never produced from what I have read. Small differences such as round solid rubber windshield supports on the hood and alleged galvanized body and frame? Only rust is the windshield frame which must come standard from the factory on all Jeeps. Buddy called yesterday needing help with a windshield install... Turned out to be another earlier 95 Rio Grande... Weird... it doesnt have the step either though...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Had a brother in law that had a 70 something Jeep Honcho Pick-Up. Man i really liked that thing.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Here's my old 96. I sold it about 8 years ago with 150,000 miles and it still ran like day one. I still think about it nearly every day. My most favorite vehicle I've ever owned.
I met the kid who bought it from me on NAXJA, I told him "If you wreck it or roll it please do not post pictures. If you ever want to get rid of it, give me first bite at it". I still hope the phone rings.
The first photo is the last one I took of it. It was my "for sale" photo.

Hey so I have a 3.5" lift and the guy did a transfer case drop do you think it will be okay??
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:39 PM

Garage
Have had the 4" on the Wrangler for a few years now and it came with a TC drop... Everything still functions fine. So far!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier1390 View Post
Hey so I have a 3.5" lift and the guy did a transfer case drop do you think it will be okay??
Hard to say, some vehicles seem more sensitive to driveline angle changes than others, could possibly be some owners are more sensitive, either way, it's hard to say, drive it and see how it feels.
Jeeps come with a crappy ass one piece driveshaft with a slip yoke at the transfer case, if you lift it too much (especially Wranglers because of the super short shaft) the driveshaft tends to shake as it spins because it moves out so far on the transfer case splines. There are kits that fix this issue (slip yoke eliminator kits). My XJ in the pictures has 3.5" lift and a SYE kit on it so the t-case is not dropped. I was actually running an XJ front DS in the rear, they are the same length. If you are unsure what I'm describing crawl under your jeep and compare the front and rear DSs, you will see the different arrangement. The front is a better arrangement for a lifted vehicle. The SYE kit makes the rear just like the front.
Dropping the t-case does two things, it reduces the DS angle and allows more spline contact. I won't get into u-joint angles unless you want me to but that's at least three paragraphs of info. To keep it short, the front u-joint on the DS should be operating at the same angle as the rear one (at the differential) to keep vibes to a minimum. That's why many good lift kits will come with angled blocks to install between the springs and rearend.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL

Last edited by ray h; 03-13-2016 at 04:25 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Hard to say, some vehicles seem more sensitive to driveline angle changes than others, could possibly be some owners are more sensitive, either way, it's hard to say, drive it and see how it feels.
Jeeps come with a crappy ass one piece driveshaft with a slip yoke at the transfer case, if you lift it too much (especially Wranglers because of the super short shaft) the driveshaft tends to shake as it spins because it moves out so far on the transfer case splines. There are kits that fix this issue (slip yoke eliminator kits). My XJ in the pictures has 3.5" lift and a SYE kit on it so the t-case is not dropped. I was actually running an XJ front DS in the rear, they are the same length. If you are unsure what I'm describing crawl under your jeep and compare the front and rear DSs, you will see the different arrangement. The front is a better arrangement for a lifted vehicle. The SYE kit makes the rear just like the front.
Dropping the t-case does two things, it reduces the DS angle and allows more spline contact. I won't get into u-joint angles unless you want me to but that's at least three paragraphs of info. To keep it short, the front u-joint on the DS should be operating at the same angle as the rear one (at the differential) to keep vibes to a minimum. That's why many good lift kits will come with angled blocks to install between the springs and rearend.

Okay I don't think it will have too much effect on my jeep if I haven't noticed it yet. The driveline does seem to be well in place I have seen some cherokees where the yoke is almost completely coming out. That being said I will save up for an SYE down the road I think that is really the best solution. Besides the obvious cons of lowering your Tcase like clearance I have heard they put a strain on the transfer case and u joints. In rare cases I have seen it (on a forum) destroy parts of the transfer case.
But my cherokee has only a 3-3.5" lift I don't think I would run into any big problems if I haven't so far
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here is my cage. with a cage.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Nice I just replaced the heater core on my cherokee, hooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEE

That was super hard and annoying took all day to do for a stupid heater core but anyway the cherokee runs like a top lots of new parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cherokee, high output, jeep, lifted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode