Motorcycle Camping Clinic- REI Durham, NC- 8/19/10 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Motorcycle Camping Clinic- REI Durham, NC- 8/19/10

If anyone is interested in learning more about motorcycle-specific camping, REI Durham will be having a clinic on Thursday, August 19th at 7pm.

I will be presenting this clinic with fellow REI employee John Porter, who is also a fellow motorcycle camper and previously the director of marketing for Ducati North America.

If you attended this clinic last year, we will be introducing additional topics and information, so it will be worthwhile attending again this year.

Follow the link below to register for this free clinic. Seating will be limited to 40, so be sure to register soon if interested.

http://www.rei.com/event/9272/session/11607
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Nice,will all REI stores be offering this Clinic?

Donn
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Consider yourself fortunate. REI is seriously in bed with the Sierra Club, which is indirectly related to Earth First the enviro-whacko extremists, and they all HATE motorcycles. A lot of the off-road crowd boycotts REI for this reason, jeepers, bikers, all of them.

I've been a REI member since the early 70's and still buy from them. It's neat to see you have something worked out with them on motorcycle camping. Just an FYI, so beware.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Nice, too bad it isn't closer

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Consider yourself fortunate. REI is seriously in bed with the Sierra Club, which is indirectly related to Earth First the enviro-whacko extremists, and they all HATE motorcycles. A lot of the off-road crowd boycotts REI for this reason, jeepers, bikers, all of them.
Sales must be slow if they are targeting motorcycles. You would be amazed at the list of organizations they contribute to. Definitely not a friend of motorcycling.

I haven't bought a thing from them since I started looking at who they support.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
My goal with this thread and the clinic was to offer my knowledge about motorcycle camping to fellow motorcyclists, so why the attack on this thread?

Using this thread as a soapbox to rudely rant personal feelings about REI as a company is very disappointing and self-righteous in my opinion.

Perhaps these individuals could be persuaded to create their own thread if this is their objective.

Last edited by E-nigma; 08-04-2010 at 07:34 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
My goal with this thread and the clinic was to offer my knowledge about motorcycle camping to fellow motorcyclists, so why the attack on this thread?

Using this thread as a soapbox to rudely rant personal feelings about REI as a company is very disappointing and self-righteous in my opinion.

Perhaps these individuals could be persuaded to create their own thread if this is their objective.
So it isn't ok to say anything about REI but it is ok to come on here and use this forum for free advertising?

If REI did anything for motorcyclists(on or offroad) I might feel different. They directly support groups that want to take riding areas away from me and the rest of us. I can't imagine why anybody would want to support them.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post

It wasn't an attack. I passed on some facts. What you're doing is a good thing and no reflection on you. More of a FYI and beware of what's going on around your endeavor.

Don't take it personally. I didn't state personal feelings, so it wasn't a 'rude rant' and nothing was 'self righteous' about what was posted. Perhaps you weren't aware of the controversy, or maybe you have strong feelings one way or another. I don't, have stayed neutral. To inform was my only objective, not to create a 'soap box' as you say.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=kenr74;100726]
>snip
They directly support groups that want to take riding areas away from me and the rest of us.
>snip
[QUOTE]

This is a valid statement, the meat of what you had to say. Too bad the rest of the fluff is what ruffles feathers.

Would you rather talk about gear specifically? There's a 8 page thread on the adventure forum about camping and coffee. What do you pack for camping coffee?

Mine is the 6-pack cup of VIA from Starbucks. Just add hot water and voile, a nice cup of java.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:27 PM

I do think it is cool that you are doing a clinic for those that don't know this stuff already.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I've been a REI member since the early 70's and still buy from them. It's neat to see you have something worked out with them on motorcycle camping. Just an FYI, so beware.

REI is a local company which I buy from sometimes and obviously have their own motives (selling mountain bikes is a bike one), but I hardly think being conscious of the environment is the same as being eco-wackos...

My local motorcycle stealership has a guy who goes on and on about how evil they are, but it all comes down to motives.

I for one, would LOVE to see my local REI do a motorcycle camping event (maybe I can suggest it)

Not holding my breath though.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 PM

Yes, they started in downtown Seattle. I remember when they had one store, the REI Co-op. Everyone called it the 'co-op'. I bought my first down sleeping bag there more than 40 years ago and it's still a good bag. My favorite bag now is a +45 deg summer bag that rolls up the size of a football. Great for the bike.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, they started in downtown Seattle. I remember when they had one store, the REI Co-op. Everyone called it the 'co-op'. I bought my first down sleeping bag there more than 40 years ago and it's still a good bag. My favorite bag now is a +45 deg summer bag that rolls up the size of a football. Great for the bike.

All my current backpacking gear is perfect for motorcycle camping, except my pack holds WAY more than my V46... I need some side bags... sigh..

I like seeing on Twisted Throttle how they sell the MSR fuel cans as backup fuel cells... too funny.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post

I like seeing on Twisted Throttle how they sell the MSR fuel cans as backup fuel cells... too funny.
I have two of the 32oz ones, we use them on the dirtbikes.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 PM

well, i loves me some REI, i received a delivery from them just today. i'm also a casual enviro-wacko, if that's possible. maybe i should go into the bathroom and punch myself in the mirror.

E-nigma, i've been asked about this stuff in the past. i bet if you took your show on the road, you could draw a crowd at some other REI locations. i'm thinking atlanta. maybe they will pay for your travel? i'm sure you can find a curve or two along the way.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>

Last edited by kevrider; 08-04-2010 at 11:16 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 PM

So, what's new on the camping scene? Or are we going to let this thread die?

I've been studying paniers and racks and have decided the pelican boxes are the way to go. Cheap and durable, totally water tight, and easy to load.

The tent thread on ADV went 6 pages now, pretty interesting.

Does the OP actually camp out with his versys? Let's hear a couple of great tips just for a teaser????

Chris Brown
In SoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode