I passed my Mizzoo motorcycle test today!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

3Likes
  • 1 Post By my2wheels
  • 1 Post By my2wheels
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Red face I passed my Mizzoo motorcycle test today!!

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!!???

To be honest though, this is my 3rd mo'bike test, 1st in England,
2nd in Nevada (Vegas) & now I passed the theory test here in Mizzoo today (the Nevada mo'bike license didn't transfer to MO due to a computer glitch, but my car test pass did!?!?!?!)

Anyway, l'm totally amazed at how things are done here, because you just go to the Highway Patrol Test Center & if you already have a drivers license you do a 26 question exam & have to get 20 right (or 6 wrong answers is an immediate fail) & if you do fail you can try again twice a day (for free) as many times as you want to, & then you can get onto any motorcycle you want to & ride with no more than a permit!!!!
You don't need to show them you can ride a 'bike, & you can renew the permit (cost $3.50) every 6 months forever!!! without ever having to show the HP that you can maneuver a motorbike!!!
I will be taking the "around the cones" test when the weather is suitable & get a "proper" mo'bike license which will always be a separate plastic card from my car/vehicle license!?!?!.....

The questions are also laughable, with one answer stating that when you are riding at night you follow the car in fronts' headlights.
Another asks which is the best way to carry a "load" on the back of the bike, & the answer is;
"strap it to the motorcycle as low as possible on the frame"
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by my2wheels; 02-25-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I got my M/C license when I was 17 moved around to several states and didn't have a bike for about 20 years but always just paid the extra fee to keep it current when my license needed to be renewed. When i came to Cali i only had to do the written test when i registered. Always figuired paying that little extra would pay off.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I got my M/C license when I was 17
I got my (Brit) car license at 17 but didn't pass my mo'bike test 'till l was 19............Brit drivers licenses are not transferrable to the USA but you get 3 months grace before you need to get one, so when l was 54 l had to get both licenses, & now again at 64 l needed the bike license, maybe when l'm 74 l'll get my astronaut's license!!?!
weljo2001 likes this.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:08 PM

Garage
Well, congrats!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
so you got your motorcycle learners permit - isn't the written test pretty similar inmost states? I've taken it in MD and NC. both easy common sense questions. scares the crap out of me that people fail those written tests.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The last time I had to take the written test, the clerk asked me if I had studied.
I asked her if she'd be comfortable RENEWING my license if I had been driving longer than she was breathing and didn't know the rules yet.
kohburn likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
so you got your motorcycle learners permit - isn't the written test pretty similar inmost states?
I have no idea, but it'd be interesting to find out because l seem to remember syliefox was somewhat at the pr apprehensive ospect of taking his test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I asked her if she'd be comfortable RENEWING my license if I had been driving longer than she was breathing and didn't know the rules yet.
I bet she was impressed with you Blacky!!!!......
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:19 AM

Nooope, most of the DMV clerks I've met seem to want to be there less than I do.
I half expected for my file to be lost somewhere.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Nooope, most of the DMV clerks I've met seem to want to be there less than I do.
I half expected for my file to be lost somewhere.
What is this "attitude" with DMV clerks (especially the black ones in Las Vegas DMV!!!!), & they should be thankful they have a job instead of acting like 12yr olds who don't want to be at school!!!

PS, what are the Illinois taxes on buying a bike & transferring titles & renewals ???
(just got my renewal & it's $24.50 for 2yrs.)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
What is this "attitude" with DMV clerks (especially the black ones in Las Vegas DMV!!!!), & they should be thankful they have a job instead of acting like 12yr olds who don't want to be at school!!!

PS, what are the Illinois taxes on buying a bike & transferring titles & renewals ???
I think the attitude comes from dealing with too many people like me.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I got my (Brit) car license at 17 but didn't pass my mo'bike test 'till l was 19............Brit drivers licenses are not transferrable to the USA but you get 3 months grace before you need to get one, so when l was 54 l had to get both licenses, & now again at 64 l needed the bike license, maybe when l'm 74 l'll get my astronaut's license!!?!
Got my car drivers license at 16; my chauffeurs license (for BIG trucks) at 18; motorcycles at 19; my "astronaut's license" in the RCAF at 24; and then my civilian "astronaut's license" at 30 (airline transport pilots license - ATR).

ONLY motorcycles and cars NOW...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Your question caused me to look at my registration card...plates cost 55.00 a year for me. Since the state no longer sends out a renewal form (cost savings & already a 2million dollar spike in expired tag tickets), you save d me a ticket.
Most local areas have their own fees (Chicago being give me all your money to no fee in MOST unincorporated areas). Would have to dig thru old paper work to find the sales tax, but the state has theirs & counties have their own. We have to watch because the state WILL try to tax you a couple of times ( when I bought the bike the dealer had the appeal papers ready to be signed & mailed).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
then you can get onto any motorcycle you want to & ride with no more than a permit!!!!
You don't need to show them you can ride a 'bike, & you can renew the permit (cost $3.50) every 6 months forever!!! without ever having to show the HP that you can maneuver a motorbike!!!
Same kind of story here in Utah, where we also have a graduated MC license.

Here, you can get licensed for under 650cc, or 650+ cc. This is a relatively new thing, about 7 yrs old perhaps. If you take the test on a big bike, you are good to go on anything. If you take the test on a bike under 650cc you are limited to less than 650cc.

My daughter had a Vespa scooter in high school, 10 years ago now, and took her test on it. She's grandfathered in with no size restriction. She could jump on a huge Harley and be legal.

A new rider with only a permit is good to go on any size bike. And, like your state, could renew the permit every 6 months by retaking the written test.

Funky laws.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I got my M/C license when I was 17 moved around to several states and didn't have a bike for about 20 years but always just paid the extra fee to keep it current when my license needed to be renewed. When i came to Cali i only had to do the written test when i registered. Always figuired paying that little extra would pay off.
I gave up my MC endorsement when I moved here because I didn't own a bike and didn't want to pay the $30 or whatever it was to keep it active. Money was beyond seriously tight back then for us.

When I finally got another bike it was my daughter's Virago 250 which she wasn't riding, living downtown in the city. So I've got the under 650cc limitation on my license because that's the bike I took the road test on.

Good thing the Versys is officially 649cc. Keeps me legal by 1cc.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
If you take the test on a bike under 650cc you are limited to less than 650cc.
That'd be no good here coz all the Hillbilly's ride Hawgs, but it's OK, they never do more than the distance between 2 fatburger cafes & 55mph is fast for them!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode