PA riders, look out for sleepy truck drivers! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

7Likes
  • 1 Post By blazblu82
  • 1 Post By ray h
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By saddlebag
  • 1 Post By ray h
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By ray h

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
PA riders, look out for sleepy truck drivers!

I don't see how they did this even if they were trying to do it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dozens-o...-pennsylvania/

Last edited by kawdog; 02-15-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post

Dozens of vehicles involved in deadly pileup on Interstate 78 in Pennsylvania - CBS News
What a misleading, BS title. Nothing in the article indicates the accident was caused by drowsy truck drivers! Did you even read it FFS?

Maybe the title should read, "Look out PA riders, kawdog is a dimwit. Avoid him at all costs!"
HAWKSHOT99 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post

15F was the high for the day.
Probably under 10F at the time of accident
~9:30 AM
Heavy Traffic
64 vehicles, 73 people, 3 fatalities
High wind
Sudden snow squall
Sudden white out
Black ice

Black boxes are not completely analyzed.

Probably 3 to 6 weeks of analysis.

Contributing factors are unknown yet.

In heavy traffic, people follow too closely to prevent the space in front being constantly filled by other drivers who do not respect following distance.

Some trucks may try to pass at under a 5 mph speed difference.

Oblivious drivers at below speed limit or below the speed of traffic flow in the passing lane.

Drifting snow but wind swept clear patches of roadway give false sense of security.

One victim reported instantaneous disappearance of the car in front in the sudden white out. One victim reported no response when braking which would probably have been due to ice.

Probably somebody, in a panic, jammed on the brakes.

There were at least two double-bottom rigs involved.

Initially, there were no reports of anybody doing anything that was clearly unsafe.

The most dangerous time for truck drivers getting drowsy is likely between 2 and 5 in the morning. There is nothing to indicate that any drivers were performing erratically as if they were drowsy.

Off-Off-Topic: Self-driving cars would have got it wrong as well, likely.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Drove home last night in similar conditions & saw a car slip then panic.
Two semis & fifteen cars ended spread across the road for a quarter mile as a result.
I doubt there was a drowsy driver in the bunch but a lot of overdriving
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 AM

Clarification on the 73 people. Those were injuries. Many more than that were examined. There was at least one bus involved with the Penn State Lehigh Valley Men's Basketball Team on board. The team members were uninjured. Look at the picture. Find the bus. Be amazed.

Last edited by bike19; 02-15-2016 at 08:45 AM. Reason: speling :)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike19 View Post
Heavy Traffic
High wind
Sudden snow squall
Sudden white out
Black ice

In heavy traffic, people follow too closely to prevent the space in front being constantly filled by other drivers who do not respect following distance.

Oblivious drivers at below speed limit or below the speed of traffic flow in the passing lane.

Drifting snow but wind swept clear patches of roadway give false sense of security.

One victim reported instantaneous disappearance of the car in front in the sudden white out. One victim reported no response when braking which would probably have been due to ice.

Initially, there were no reports of anybody doing anything that was clearly unsafe.

The most dangerous time for truck drivers getting drowsy is likely between 2 and 5 in the morning. There is nothing to indicate that any drivers were performing erratically as if they were drowsy.

^ All correct.
Snow was drifting and the people who worked the accident are confirming it was caused by drifting and blowing snow along with people driving too fast for the conditions.
I was plowing snow for PennDoT in south central PA at the time, it was absolutely blowing and drifting over the roads like a MoFo.
onewizard likes this.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Heavy Traffic
High wind
Sudden snow squall
Sudden white out
Black ice

Stop thinking properly!!!! Kawdog knows all and already said it was because of drowzy truck drivers!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Could it have been caused by somebody "wetting" his pants...?

'Cause sure-as-shooting, I would wet MINE IF I saw all that happening around me...!

onewizard likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-16-2016 at 10:56 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
First you say it, then you do it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
^ All correct.
Snow was drifting and the people who worked the accident are confirming it was caused by drifting and blowing snow along with people driving too fast for the conditions.
I was plowing snow for PennDoT in south central PA at the time, it was absolutely blowing and drifting over the roads like a MoFo.
I was sure hoping a snow-plow wasn't buried under 20 - 45' trailers!

Around intestate connections in LA, I get nervous if a bunch of tractor trailers are around me. Sometimes, they don't give you room to move. I never saw anything like that pic before with all those tractor trailers. I wonder how many 18 year old newbie truck drivers were in that mess with previously unblemished driving records? If I were a Northern Truck driver, I would prefer not to drive during the black ice periods on Saturday mornings during snow squalls: that could wreck a truck drivers career.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Whatever their reasoning, following too close and driving too fast for conditions would be common sense guesses for anyone who drives in these conditions.

As with many things, people get away with things for awhile and get accustomed to thinking their behavior is acceptable...until it isn't.

Once I was riding thru a hail storm on the highway and the cars just stopped. It's not legal to split lanes in Ohio, but I didn't give a hoot, I was getting the crap pelted out of me. Fortunately, there wasn't a pileup as the weather happened gradually enough that people began slowing before the ones at the front stopped all together.
Hello! If you want to stop, there are shoulders for that. Please don't stop in the middle of the damn highway!
onewizard likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:28 PM

These types of "pile-ups" don't happen in PA often but they are getting more frequent with the increasing traffic. PA probably has more truck traffic (percentage per vehicle types) than any other state because we have the preferred northeast interstate routes and tons of new warehousing locations. That's not to say the accidents are always the truck drivers (rarely to be honest), the problem is many car drivers don't know how to drive around trucks.
onewizard likes this.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:42 PM

I was always curious about these type of accidents in that if you were involved in one, would you get out of the car and run like hell for the other side of the median barrier or stay in the car?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
I was always curious about these type of accidents in that if you were involved in one, would you get out of the car and run like hell for the other side of the median barrier or stay in the car?
That is a tough call, only a few years ago a young mother was involved in a fender bender, her infant was in the back seat, several cars involved, she was at the side of the road, waiting for police and emergency response to arrive, sadly another car spun out on the same black ice the other drivers hit, that car was going too fast like the others. The car never hit any of the other cars that were previously involved, but it hit and killed the young mother .

If I was on the shoulder in something like that, I would get up as high as possible, the thing is, that all probably took place in less than two minutes.
They tell you to stay in the car if it is safe to do so, you have all these air bags and a cage around you, however that brings to mind another inmate here that posts " Is it still on fire"***.
ray h likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Common advice is to stay in the car, that said, I'm getting out a running for high ground.
When they tell you to stay in the car they are considering worst case, they don't want mom out wondering on the interstate with two kids in tow.

Onewizard beat me to it.
onewizard likes this.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Common advice is to stay in the car, that said, I'm getting out a running for high ground.
When they tell you to stay in the car they are considering worst case, they don't want mom out wondering on the interstate with two kids in tow.

Onewizard beat me to it.
And I am right behind you Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode