Polarized sunglasses with 2015 display - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Polarized sunglasses with 2015 display

This weekend, I am going in to see if I am a candidate for Lasic surgery. If I am, I will get the surgery ASAP. Then I will need sunglasses. I like the Ray Ban "New Wayfarer". I can get them polarized or non-polarized.
So I was wondering, with the 2015 Versys instrument display, does it work with polarized sunglasses?

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
the 08 works fine with them and a tinted visor

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

That's good to know. Thx. I imagine the displays are similar in that regard.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
That would depend on where the suns sits. I've ridden with my helmet sun visor down going into the sun and can't see the display at all unless I salute with my left hand (The Hitler salute doesn't work in this case - it's the one where you are trying to block the sun with your arm extended out and the hand up).
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Is the tinted visor polarized? I'd imagine it's not...

2015 Versys 650
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
This weekend, I am going in to see if I am a candidate for Lasic surgery. If I am, I will get the surgery ASAP. Then I will need sunglasses. I like the Ray Ban "New Wayfarer". I can get them polarized or non-polarized.
So I was wondering, with the 2015 Versys instrument display, does it work with polarized sunglasses?
I wear RB Wayfarers too. My fave bike glasses. The rims work good to use as a visor to block sun. The arms are up and out of the way providing great peripheral vision. They are also flat so they slide easily beside the head into the helmet. They are also nearly indestructible.
As to polarized lens, I love them in the ocean, but behind plastic motorcycle visors and windscreens and looking at LCD, no. They cause all kind of colorful illusions that don't aide riding a bit.
I'd recommend finding a store where you can find the type that fit your head the best. Some are way too small for my big gourd and others much too large
Cheaper to get them online than at a store, but you have to be careful as there are a ton of counterfeits out there.

Enjoy!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:07 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Is the tinted visor polarized? I'd imagine it's not...
no but my glasses are

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Do your checking - my wife had lasic surgery on her eyes, and can NOT drive at night now, as she gets "haloing" around ALL lights, and can't tell if oncoming vehicles are in her lane or the other....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I had used Wayfarers exclusively in my helmets forever. Or I should say from age 16 to about 45, when I started wearing glasses. (I used Wayfarers for a number of years when I had contacts too). I am 55 now.
I like the look and feel of the "New Wayfarers", RB 2132 over the originals. I brought my helmet in to a sunglasses store today to make sure they fit and feel good. I like them a lot.
As far as lasik complications, Fasteddie, . I am doing my homework on that. Thanks for the info though too.
I am not concerned that the shield on my Shoei will be an issue. I just want to know if our particular LCD is impacted by polarized glasses before I order. According to Silviefox, it seems like it'll be fine. If anyone wants to confirm that, it'd still be appreciated!

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Update: I just ordered a polarized pair from Amazon Prime where they have free and no-hassle returns. I'll be able to try it in the garage (but not riding for another month or so). Nice thing is that I can try it in the sun early in the morning where it is in the garage.
I have my lasic evaluation tomorrow morning, so hopefully I am a candidate for the surgery too.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 AM

I've had LASEK surgery over a year ago. Different than LASIK, it takes longer to regenerate (~2 weeks in my case, as opposed to 24 hours, I had to heal a broken bone so I'd be staying home anyway) but the results are great. No halo, perfect vision... Riding without glasses is great

2015 Versys 650
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Not sure about the Ray Bans you're getting but are they safety rated for impact?
Perhaps you're going to ride with the visor down for protection.

I gave up on sunglasses several years back and have substituted with flip down dark visors...love them. I'll also use a full dark visor in summer when I know I won't be caught in the dark.

Sunglasses have two issues: they can limit your peripheral vision and they can cause bad injuries in a crash...

However, you get to ride again after your surgery to me....that outweighs the potential downside...

Good luck!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I ride with Safety glasses. Impact rated but not bulletproof like Oakleys.
I use smoke and yellow glasses (day and dusk)
I also have a nice pair of Polarized Safety Glasses.

Sometime I ride with cheap sun glasses (non polarized).

I have a Shark Vision R (with internal visor, now upgraded to silver iridium)
I also just bought a Schubert C3 (with Internal Visor)

This is just something I have noticed.. it bothers a lot of people but does not bother me.

If you wear glasses under a helmet visor you can get some reflections, specifically white line marking flashing across in your peripheral - basically anything that is high contrast.
This is more evident if you also put down a internal sun visor especially one with mirror finish.

My polarized Glasses produce the most reflections.

So do be aware of this.

Also My polarized safety glasses work fine with my Mk2 instruments. I do see a slight stress flare in one corner of the clear cover, but everything is clear and the LCD screen is not dimmed.

To check just rotate your polarized glasses and see where they black out the LCD screen. it should be 90 deg vertical.

One thing that I will say that is more annoying than reflection in the visors... is that with Polarized lenses things on the road glow. It is hard to describe. and I only see it when wearing a helmet and not while driving (might have something to do with the main visor).
Things like Tar snakes... the cracks in roads filled with tar, just glow and pop like they are liquid water. It is weird and can be distracting - target fixating.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

I wear prescription glasses w/ "transition" lenses (the ones that darken or lighten, automatically), and an 'unusual' visible effect that I get:

...when I see a police car w/ the lights flashing, the blue lights appear to be several feet in height from a distance, reducing as I get closer.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post

I like love polarized glasses, they enhance contrast and reduce glare, but with things like ATM displays, some GPS displays and even visors they do not work well as the displays themselves are polarised too and they cancel one another out. My advice is get glasses but also get a transitions shield or a dark smoke shield. Much better than wearing dark glasses under a visor. Get your glasses BEFORE the laser surgery and be religious about the drops they give you post operatively. It takes a year or more before you can discontinue the drops. Don't expect perfect 20/20 vision from the surgery. Getting perfect 20/20 is like a hole in one. You will not however have to wear glasses again, except for reading when you are 45+. Results in the range of +-1 is normal.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-16-2016 at 06:39 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...Don't expect perfect 20/20 vision from the surgery....
My understanding is that 20/20 vision is considered NORMAL vision, NOT 'perfect' vision.

I've had BETTER than 20/20 all my life, and I STILL correct to 20/15.

-

MOST top fighter pilots have vision like I do, or BETTER.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Good news. I have my new polarized Ray Bans and turned on my ignition with them on. No effect on the display whatsoever.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode