US Politics - looking in the window - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
US Politics - looking in the window

I'll start by saying I'm a Canadian so my opinion does not really matter in this. In Canada we are closely wired in to what happens in the US due to broad and extensive news coverage and very close cultural ties with the US. Americans in Canada blend in so well they are unidentifiable as are Canadians in the US. We have a similar standard of living, are each others largest trading partner, and share a culture and language which could help explain this. About the only real difference I see is a far right movement like the Tea Party in the US, which has no broadly supported equivalent in Canada, which is perhaps why we have trouble comprehending it.

Just wondering what my American friends on this board think of the GOP race. As an outsider looking in, I can't seem to wrap my head around the support Trump, or even Palin seem to be getting, given their performance so far, or the lack of intelligent discourse going on in this race compared to previous GOP races. As an example the emphasis on **** that does not really mater like abortion, gun control (the 2 amendment prevents any significant changes here anyway as I understand), religion, and gay marriage. IMO none of this stuff really matters compared to things like foreign policy, internal economic policies and regulations to keep businesses operating ethically and honestly or to the best benefit of Americans. No one seems to be discussing stuff that matters or presenting realistic policy platforms. IE. building a wall vs. cracking down on the hiring of illegal immigrants. The level of military spending vs infrastructure spending vs. paying down the debt. Closing taxation loopholes favoring high income earners vs. leaving them open in the hope these people will chose to invest in the economy vs. paying down the debt.

I'm hoping we can keep this thread civil and not let it decline to the level of personal insult.
onewizard and kohburn like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-27-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
And though we share a border, there is resentment when the same Ford car costs thousands more in Canada, when we help manufacture it. ----To say more would derail this thread--So, I too question Palin and Trump, what happens in the US has a direct affect on Canada.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
He has touched on things that concern a lot of people (obviously not everyone, but enough to make him popular). His views on immigration, economy, gun control and Muslims have struck a cord with many people who have wanted to say what he has been saying but haven't because they didn't want to be "politically incorrect".
His ideas are simple, "build a wall" is something that's simple and tangible, unlike imposing new and increasingly useless laws and regulations that only $500 per hour lawyers understand. He's obviously not a dumb person and he obviously has a good understanding of our economy and trade but when he speaks he dumbs it down for those of us who only understand the basics. I'm OK with that, I don't need to know all of the details, just tell me what your main goal is and I can either agree or disagree.
Yes, he is a jerk, he is cocky and arrogant but he's also a strong leader who isn't afraid to tell you how he really feels, and that's refreshing after the last 7 years. To many people (myself included) he embodies everything that made this country, good and bad, arrogant, fortune driven, cocky and loud, but also hard working, honest and tough. I miss our old country and I've had enough of living in a weak, whinny, untrustworthy, puzzy country.
I don't know if he's the best answer but he is definitely a change of direction, and I'm all for that. It makes me happy when I see his popularity go up because it means we still have some fight left in us.
onewizard, 1stversys and my2wheels like this.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL

Last edited by ray h; 01-27-2016 at 05:04 PM.
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
And though we share a border, there is resentment when the same Ford car costs thousands more in Canada, when we help manufacture it. ----To say more would derail this thread--So, I too question Palin and Trump, what happens in the US has a direct affect on Canada.
Don't mean to take this thread off topic but to answer your question this has more to do with international currency fluctuations and the policies of Canadian vs American distributors. Vehicles are now generally cheaper in Canada than the US with the recent changes in the valuation of the US dollar vs the Canadian dollar vs the Japanese Yen and other foreign currencies. As an example:

Prices are MSRP for 2015, base model 650 Versys from Kawasaki.com and Kawasaki.ca web sites
Versys 650 purchased in Canada $6028 US dollars/$8,499 Canadian dollars
Versys 650 purchased in US $8000 US dollars/$11280 Canadian dollars

The identical bike now is $2000US more expensive in the US than in Canada. I bought all my motorcycle gear in the US when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar. Now it is Americans turn to shop in Canada for deals. As an example buying the same gear from www.CanadasMotorcycle.ca will now be significantly cheaper than www.Revzilla.com irregardless of which country you live in (if you convert prices to US dollars).
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-27-2016 at 05:27 PM.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Don't mean to take this thread off topic but to answer your question this has more to do with international currency fluctuations and the policies of Canadian vs American distributors. Vehicles are now generally cheaper in Canada than the US with the recent changes in the valuation of the US dollar vs the Canadian dollar vs the Japanese Yen and other foreign currencies. As an example:

Prices are MSRP for 2015, base model 650 Versys from Kawasaki.com and Kawasaki.ca web sites
Versys 650 purchased in Canada $6028 US dollars/$8,499 Canadian dollars
Versys 650 purchased in US $8000 US dollars/$11280 Canadian dollars

The identical bike now is $2000US more expensive in the US than in Canada. I bought all my motorcycle gear in the US when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar. Now it is Americans turn to shop in Canada for deals. As an example buying the same gear from www.CanadasMotorcycle.ca will now be cheaper than Motorcycle Gear, Free Shipping, & HD Video Reviews - RevZilla irregardless of which country you live in (if you convert prices to US dollars).
This has to do with the falling value of the U.S. dollar compared to the rest of the world. Every time our treasury pumps out more cash to pay it's debts, the value of a dollar goes down.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Just wondering what my American friends on this board think of the GOP race. As an outsider looking in, I can't seem to wrap my head around the support Trump, or even Palin seem to be getting, given their performance so far, or the lack of intelligent discourse
You funny man. Putting "GOP" and "intelligent discourse" in the same sentence is the zeinth of mutual exclusivity.

It's been said that dumb people spend their time worshiping or demonizing other people, smarter people taking in activities and events, and smart people spend their energy on ideas.

Let's just say that Trump and Palin are the National Enquirer of politics.
onewizard and binderline like this.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
This has to do with the falling value of the U.S. dollar compared to the rest of the world. Every time our treasury pumps out more cash to pay it's debts, the value of a dollar goes down.
No it doesn't. The treasury is constantly offering bonds and always has. I think you're confusing the Treasury with the Fed's QE. Anyway, that's been over for probably a year now. At their last meeting they actually raised the discount rate at which they loan banks money. When interest rates rise, the Treasury has to increase the rates they offer on their bonds. This means they pay more interest, costing the gov't more and increasing our debt. But it also strengthens the dollar relative to other currencies.

The American dollar has been unusually strong lately. In fact its hurting what's left of American manufacturing. Boeing stock dropped 9% today for that very reason. Their planes are much more expensive than Airbus due to the high value of the dollar compared to the Euro. Airbus OTOH is making a killing.
twowheels likes this.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
No it doesn't. The treasury is constantly offering bonds and always has. I think you're confusing the Treasury with the Fed's QE. Anyway, that's been over for probably a year now. At their last meeting they actually raised the discount rate at which they loan banks money. When interest rates rise, the Treasury has to increase the rates they offer on their bonds. This means they pay more interest, costing the gov't more and increasing our debt. But it also strengthens the dollar relative to other currencies.

The American dollar has been unusually strong lately. In fact its hurting what's left of American manufacturing. Boeing stock dropped 9% today for that very reason. Their planes are much more expensive than Airbus due to the high value of the dollar compared to the Euro. Airbus OTOH is making a killing.
Boeing cut production to make some changes, it had nothing to do with the dollar or world markets. They simply aren't selling as much because they aren't producing as much, which is why they cost more. They aren't able to meet demand so their business is going elsewhere. This is pretty well documented.
I'm not confusing anything. The treasury makes the decision to print more money and they do the actual printing.
Bonds and other forms of investment are equal to cash, if they sell bonds they are essentially printing more money. The more money that is in the world circulation, the less each dollar is worth. What do you think the government does with that money when they sell bonds? They put it back into circulation.
All the FED does is regulate the rate at which money changes hands, they have nothing to do with how much money is in circulation.
And there is always a delay, what they print today won't effect anything until next year. Banks will THINK they have more money until it goes into circulation, then it losses value.
Global money is the barter system. If I have three chickens but I need a pig, and you have one pig to trade then one pig is worth three chickens, but if I have five chickens and I still need a pig, then that same pig is now worth five chickens. The value of a chicken has gone down just because I have more of them.
The recent boost to our economy is the low import oil prices. A barrel of oil used to cost 5 chickens, now it costs 3 chickens. The value of chickens has gone up "temporarily" until they put U.S. oil production out of business.
onewizard and kohburn like this.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL

Last edited by ray h; 01-27-2016 at 07:36 PM.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Boeing cut production to make some changes, it had nothing to do with the dollar or world markets. They simply aren't selling as much because they aren't producing as much, which is why they cost more. They aren't able to meet demand so their business is going elsewhere. This is pretty well documented.
I'm not confusing anything. The treasuring makes the decision to print more money and they do the actual printing.
Bonds and other forms of investment are equal to cash, if they sell bonds they are essentially printing more money. The more money that is in the world circulation, the less each dollar is worth. What do you think the government does with that money when they sell bonds? They put it back into circulation.
All the FED does is regulate the rate at which money changes hands, they have nothing to do with how much money is in circulation.
And there is always a delay, what they print today won't effect anything until next year. Banks will THINK they have more money until it goes into circulation, then it losses value.
Global money is the barter system. If I have three chickens but I need a pig, and you have one pig to trade then one pig is worth three chickens, but if I have five chickens and I still need a pig, then that same pig is now worth five chickens. The value of a chicken has gone down just because I have more of them.
The recent boost to our economy is the low import oil prices. A barrel of oil used to cost 5 chickens, now it costs 3 chickens. The value of chickens has gone up "temporarily" until they put U.S. oil production out of business.
The US currently has a highly valued dollar, not a low dollar. The value of the dollar is most closely linked to the interest rate, the performance of the US economy, the performance of other countries economies and the whim of investors. The US economy is currently outperforming the economies of most other nations and is a more stable place to invest than say China which has done well in the past but is not currently doing so well. International money flows to the country with the best investment opportunities which is currently raising the price of the dollar since international investors are purchasing US dollars in favor of other currencies. A high US dollar makes US exports more expensive in other nations but also makes imported goods cheaper for consumers in the US.

Printing more money will lower the value of a particular country's currency. When a nations own treasury buys back their currency (debt) it raises it's price.

If you think about it, a high US dollar increases the cost of a Boeing plane significantly for international customers even though Boeing did not change their price. This in turn lowers the demand for their product just as a low dollar would increase demand, all other things being equal.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-27-2016 at 09:12 PM.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
The US currently has a highly valued dollar. This makes it's exports more expensive in other nations but also makes imported goods cheaper for consumers in the US.
Low oil prices have temporarily boosted the dollar. This is artificial and temporary until U.S. oil production is badly hurt, then the middle east will jack their prices back up and the U.S. will be screwed.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Low oil prices have temporarily boosted the dollar. This is artificial and temporary until U.S. oil production is badly hurt, then the middle east will jack their prices back up and the U.S. will be screwed.
Oil prices are not linked to the value of the dollar. Factors like interest rates, the overall performance of the economy, the performance of competing economies, and other key factors are what effect the valuation of the dollar by investors.

Low oil prices are due to fracking, which has allowed the US to produce a significant amount of oil domestically and reduce their demand on middle east oil. Other countries are now also fracking. There is now a glut of oil on the market so the price has gone down. The downside to fracking however is environmental, it contaminates ground water which reduces the supply of fresh water. If you have a well within a ~20 mile radius of where they are fracking you will probably find you can no longer drink water from your tap.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-27-2016 at 08:45 PM.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:28 PM

I've garnered something from this thread. though they may disagree on details, everyone in here understands the economy better than Bernie Sanders.
onewizard and 1stversys like this.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Oil prices are not linked to the value of the dollar. Factors like interest rates, the overall performance of the economy, the performance of competing economies, and other key factors are what effect the valuation of the dollar by investors.
The value of a dollar is almost exclusively dependent on the trade of commodities and the amount of cash in circulation.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL

Last edited by ray h; 01-27-2016 at 08:30 PM.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I've garnered something from this thread. though they may disagree on details, everyone in here understands the economy better than Bernie Sanders.
Oh, he understands it just fine.
He wants to increase minimum wage to $15. He says the reason is because everyone should have more money to spend.
Two things he doesn't talk about,
1). How much will this increase the cost of everything we buy? Those of us who make more than minimum wage will get hammer with higher prices.
2). The real reason he is raising the minimum wage is to increase the tax base to feed his oversized governement.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 PM

my Canadian friend...take a look at the answers you're getting...conspiracies..paranoia...a whole bunch of people were sold a whole bunch of lies and they're confused (well they believed the lies in the first place..so) and angry...Palin lost an election for John McCain..don't you believe that she's actually THAT popular with a large section of the american public...she a laughing stock to more people than like her...Trump falls into that category too...he's popular with a bunch of FOOLS..not many others...he's a backlash of the hillbilly right...men who feel emasculated by gays getting married and their traditional values being taken away...war on christmas..all of that nonsense fed to them by a political party trying to get ANY edge any way it could...20% of these FOOLS still believe Obama was born in Kenya..that says it all...Global warming is a hoax made up by the chinese!! he gives them SIMPLE in a complex world they CAN NOT understand...what was it P.T.Barnum was have supposed to have said? "there a sucker born every minute"..you know the donald lives by that...
the answers about the price of oil and the Arabs controlling it..especially from someone who has heard of "commodities"..is funny and sooooo lost in the past...the price of oil IS controlled by the commodities market..pure and simple...it's located in Chicago..and there's probably an arab or two down there on the floor..but they all aren't...D'OH...OPEC..anyone heard of them lately...hmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by chadams66; 01-27-2016 at 08:54 PM.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Palin was interviewed by the Canadian media during her previous campaign for vice president. The interviewer (George Stroumboulopoulos) quizzed her on the US constitution since she had referred to it a lot in previous speeches. She admitted to only being familiar with the 2nd amendment and was not even sure how many amendments there were or what each one was about. She seems to come across as a somewhat clueless cheer leading mom, "lets go kids". I'm not even sure how great a mom she is since her teenage daughter got pregnant and her son was charged with punching his girlfriend. I'm puzzled by how she got to where she is today.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-27-2016 at 09:06 PM.
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Oh, he understands it just fine.
He wants to increase minimum wage to $15. He says the reason is because everyone should have more money to spend.
Two things he doesn't talk about,
1). How much will this increase the cost of everything we buy? Those of us who make more than minimum wage will get hammer with higher prices.
2). The real reason he is raising the minimum wage is to increase the tax base to feed his oversized governement.
every time an increase in the minimum wage is proposed the same old tired arguements come out..and every time they never materialise in the real world once the minimum wage is raised...now it seems we have at least one new one...that would be number two..in case you're confused...
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Don't mean to take this thread off topic but to answer your question this has more to do with international currency fluctuations and the policies of Canadian vs American distributors.
Agreed, I am thinking 40 years ago, and yes so far this is a interesting thread.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
my Canadian friend...take a look at the answers you're getting...conspiracies..paranoia...a whole bunch of people were sold a whole bunch of lies and they're confused (well they believed the lies in the first place..so) and angry...Palin lost an election for John McCain..don't you believe that she's actually THAT popular with a large section of the american public...she a laughing stock to more people than like her...Trump falls into that category too...he's popular with a bunch of FOOLS..not many others...he's a backlash of the hillbilly right...men who feel emasculated by gays getting married and their traditional values being taken away...war on christmas..all of that nonsense fed to them by a political party trying to get ANY edge any way it could...20% of these FOOLS still believe Obama was born in Kenya..that says it all...Global warming is a hoax made up by the chinese!! he gives them SIMPLE in a complex world they CAN NOT understand...what was it P.T.Barnum was have supposed to have said? "there a sucker born every minute"..you know the donald lives by that...
the answers about the price of oil and the Arabs controlling it..especially from someone who has heard of "commodities"..is funny and sooooo lost in the past...the price of oil IS controlled by the commodities market..pure and simple...it's located in Chicago..and there's probably an arab or two down there on the floor..but they all aren't...D'OH...OPEC..anyone heard of them lately...hmmmmmmmmmm
I'm sure your post is suppose to illicit a response from me so I will respond, I Agree with 90% of it.
I already admitted that Trump dumbs it down and I'm OK with that. I am paranoid of our government, I don't trust them. I am angry with them. I am proud to be part "hillbilly", it's better than being a girly city punk. I do believe the left is at war against religion and traditional values. I think the whole country is emasculated by the gay movement, I do believe Obama has skeletons in his closet and I don't believe for a minute that someone in Chicago decides on the price of a barrel of Arab oil.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ray, are these "Free-Range" Chickens on a Organic farm--just what kind of chickens we talkin about here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode