How come diesel is so much more expensive - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

3Likes
  • 1 Post By chadams66
  • 1 Post By fpgt72
  • 1 Post By fpgt72

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
How come diesel is so much more expensive

I have a VW diesel I love. It gets great mileage and has lots of power and the engine will last forever with no maintenance other than changing the oil every 16,000km/10,000miles. The only issue is, in this world of cheap gas prices diesel has stayed about 10cents per litre higher than gas.

Gas recently went to 80 cents a litre but diesel has stayed at 91cents a litre. Why the difference? They cost the same to refine. In Europe diesel is much cheaper than gas.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-26-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:11 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
reason diesel last longer. it doesnt turn to $hit 6 months later

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I also have a VW diesel (2012 Jetta Sportwagen) that I love even though it's now a not-so-clean diesel. . The odometer reads over 87000 miles (that's about 3.1416 thousand kilometers or 14.71 kilograms). It's still going strong and is as reliable as a stone.

Diesel fuel in the greater San Antonio, Texas region is as low as $1.75 per gallon while regular gas is around $1.49 per gallon. I routinely average 44 to 47 mpg and my limited math skills tell me that my average mpg compared with a gas powered Sportwagen is a good deal better than the price difference between regular and diesel.

Oh, to make this relevant to the Versys, my V is not diesel powered.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 01-26-2016 at 07:47 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I was just talking to my brother and he asked why we got the oldest boy a Diesel BMW. Diesel is more expensive in Texas while gas is cheap. Here in Cali gas is high as hell and Diesel is cheap...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Diesel is more expensive because they can.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Garage
Diesel is cheaper here in the state of Washington. It just depends on where you live.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Diesel fuel is actually a bit cheaper than regular gas, but more expensive for the heavy semi-trailer trucks at Flying J Shell here in Northern Ontario.

Ontario Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Ontario
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Diesel is more expensive because they can.
the "reason" is related to the commodities market...there was never a real reason for oil to get anywhere near 100 dollars a barrel other than greed greed greed..and the fact they have you over a barrel (of oil)...there never was a scarcity of oil either...we all got taken to the cleaners on the free market ride..and that's how it should be according to your political masters...pay up and be happy...of course all of this pales in comparison to the free market health care system...if you're young enough not to have had to deal with THAT..just wait your time is coming and your money will be going going gone...

kohburn likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:09 AM

Lots of eh replies.....not quite correct.

I don't know about the land of hockey but I can tell you why it is in the states....most states. TAX.

Diesel is actually much more easy to refine over gasoline for starters.

Remember in North America diesel was dirty fuel....only big trucks and trains ran it....and only big corps. use trucks and trains so MAKE THEM PAY. Diesel in the us has not shaken that image yet....LSD has changed things a bit, but then you get idiots on youtube "rolling coal" and that really does help the diesel image so much.

End result nothing is going to change.

Having done the diesel thing for a long time...the blue diesel....(quick all you experts whip out google and find out what the F blue diesel is) the people with the big pickups are our biggest enemy. It will not be till that image of children with hold my beer and watch this videos are long gone that we will see this fuel in the US become what it should be.....a replacement for the folly that is hybrid cars.

I will get off the soap box now.
kballowe likes this.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:13 AM

Oh and one other thing....stay away from bio diesel.....if you are not replacing it at least once a week in your tank....as in filling up, STAY AWAY.

Reason....

It will grow....bio diesel is made from....you guessed it bio matter....stuff that was once alive. If you leave it in a hot tank for a while, it will actually start to grow.....remember your fish tank back when you where 12...that green slime....yup that will form in the fuel and will raise all kind$ of hell$$ on your fuel$ $ystem....injection pumps, filters, injectors...all will get very angry.

Yes they have additives that will "stop" it or "keep" it form happening....but bottom line if you are not getting fresh fuel about weekly stay away from the Bio stuff......if you fill your tank at least that often I don't see a real problem with that.
kballowe likes this.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
we will see this fuel in the US become what it should be.....a replacement for the folly that is hybrid cars.

I will get off the soap box now.
there is no such thing as clean diesel as the VW fiasco has shown...diesel is dirtier than gas when burned in an internal combustion engine...thusly it will NEVER be a replacement for anything...I hadn't heard the term "coal on wheels"..but that's a good description...

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
there is no such thing as clean diesel as the VW fiasco has shown...diesel is dirtier than gas when burned in an internal combustion engine...thusly it will NEVER be a replacement for anything...I hadn't heard the term "coal on wheels"..but that's a good description...

Thanks for proving you don't know what you talk about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode