Barrett-Jackson in Phoenix - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Arion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Barrett-Jackson in Phoenix

I went to the B-J yesterday on a bus w/ a bunch from where I have a home here, MOSTLY to look at memorabilia, take a few pics, see some new 'metal'. Ford had a big display just as you walk thru the doors, featuring the new GT.

Next up was memorabilia, starting w/ some pedal-cars

OLD drag-racing iron

Besides 'looking at them' - what CAN you do w/ a AA/FD...?

Then LOTS of artwork, including bronzes...

this one a cowboy about two feet tall, c/w saddle and gun-belt to scale

and Dale Earnhardt

and "Hurricane Hannah"

weljo2001 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-26-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Cool Stuff. Roger DeCoster then Bob Hannah was my favorite MX Rider... Plus his first and last name spells the same forward or backward.. BOB ....HANNAH...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-26-2016 at 04:24 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Lots of car-related art, and even a very moving 'tribute' to David Bowie, just behind Steve McQueen

then more cars...

as well as other art

EVEN the new Acura NSX

I'm NOT sure which one I prefer - the Ford GT or the NSX....

Shelby American had brand-new Cobras, as well as these two Daytona coupes,

the second polished aluminum....

and near-by a Corvette Grand Sport, Cobra-beater!!!

IF that is an original - I would take it over the GT or NSX...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Then, OF COURSE, MORE cars...

There was even a Turbonique three-wheeled dragster there.

The engine was about 50 pounds, developing 1,000 hp.

I only ever saw one of these Turbonique-powered dragsters run ONCE back in '64 I think. It was a beautiful aluminum paneled traditional dragster, that had just been shown at the Edmonton World-of-Wheels car show, winning a trophy, then out to the drags the next weekend.

Our drag-race club had just bought a set of Chrondek lights, so when the car came up for a 'run', they decided that he'd start PAST the lights, in case 'something' happened, so as not to wreck the lights....

I was a competitor so I watched this from near the start line. The engine was silent till the driver 'mashed' the throttle, then a loud whine and the tires started smoking and it was GONE!

About 1,000' up the track the whine ended, the parachute blossomed, then - A HUGE EXPLOSION, panels flying thru the air, the sound of parts crashing to the ground, then as the dragster stopped the driver OUT and running like hell away from it!

I was able to see panels that had hit the tires so hard that "M&H RACEMASTER" was imprinted into them! As far as I know - it never ran again after that.

More 'old' cars, this a '57 Caddy

this a '60 Vette (w/ no windshield-frame among other mods)

this one an older Offy (I believe)

this '62 Vette similar to the one I owned for 21 years

On the way out I spied this limited edition John Wayne relic.

All-in-all, not too bad a way to spend a day....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know it is an auction. But it was the best car show I have ever been to.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the pics Ed. The three wheeled thing, turbine engine? Not familiar with "turbosonic"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 AM

I did a Mecum auction when they came to KC one year.....had a chance to be the guy to push the cars on stage, but my bad back told me that would not be the best idea.

I really hate, as in HATE what BJ....and those are good initials for them.....have done to the classic car hobby. Now everyone with a rusted out 77 trans am with a tree where the engine should be thinks it is worth $20,000....shame.

But you are right, they do have some amazing stuff there.....and there are some good deals to be found if you are shopping for a cool driver......C4 and early C5 Vettes usually go for a good price.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Thanks for the pics Ed. The three wheeled thing, turbine engine? Not familiar with "turbosonic"
Here's a link to a good discussion of WHAT it was:

Turbonique: Magique Or Junque? - Tech - Hot Rod Magazine

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Cool Stuff. Roger DeCoster then Bob Hannah was my favorite MX Rider... Plus his first and last name spells the same forward or backward.. BOB ....HANNAH...
That may be the best palindromic name ever!
weljo2001 likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great B-17 print. And I love that the ball turret gunner has his guns pointed at the hot rods. What a major surprise that would have been. The deafening roar of four engines in very close proximity and the staccato of 50 cal. rounds zinging by. Hot damn!!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 01-27-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode